2019 Hacking/Riding Thread

Had a super pootle yesterday but got a bit annoyed with myself as I ought to have pushed him on more - he just stopped because he thought it was time to stop! lol and with my mojo being down, I didn't go forward like I should have. Mr T encouraged us - but anyway there you go. Mr T had a ride too - so that was nice. It was lovely and sunny and no wind! (Well hardly any!)

Managed hour and half on Monday, very lucky with weather. Mild and sunny again. Trying to take Hogan round less familiar routes, which he used to get a bit silly about, but taking more and more in his stride now. Managed to go past 6 or 7 forest ponies without breaking his stride - I let him look but not stop. Getting a lovely trot out of him now - next must try a trot in company! (Last time he threw a complete wobbler, but that was with the pony that wound him up something rotten). Halts brilliant now and happy to stop 100 yds from home gate while I chatted with neighbour. Baby steps, but I'm SO proud of him!:D

Annoyed with the weather today - got to the yard just too late, and Hogan was drenched! Didn't stay dry enough long enough to get him dry. May have to start popping a rain sheet on the night before I intend to ride.:mad:

Annoyed with the weather today - got to the yard just too late, and Hogan was drenched! Didn't stay dry enough long enough to get him dry. May have to start popping a rain sheet on the night before I intend to ride.:mad:

That sounds like a good plan! How vexing getting rained off. Though sometimes I have just taken a pile of towels and soaked up the excess off Zi, then tacked up. I have a woollen saddle pad - maybe that helps?

That sounds like a good plan! How vexing getting rained off. Though sometimes I have just taken a pile of towels and soaked up the excess off Zi, then tacked up. I have a woollen saddle pad - maybe that helps?
I did the towel thing on Monday - he wasn't quite dry when we went out, but near enough. Just so frustrating when it stops raining 10 minutes AFTER he's got soaked!

Managed hour's hack today, but VERY windy. Both Hogan and his very calm bestie fitted in a good spook each - Hogan at the ripples the wind made in a puddle.o_O:rolleyes:. Kept it to walk today, and although they were both on their toes, it was relatively uneventful. Had put a rain sheet on last night, and glad I did, as it rained off and on until about 2 hours before we set off.

A frustrating weekend for me. Saturday was very windy - too windy for me to take the mad grey thing out hacking. Instead I borrowed YO's veteran and had a hack around with her (and even he had a couple of spooks. By 3:30 the wind had dropped a bit so I took Harvey in the school. He was a bit mad and kept spooking and running (I think the grass coming through is having an effect too). We ended up cantering round, and round, and round, and round until I was getting dizzy and still he didn't want to stop. I tried to do some jumping which will normally get him focussed but he was just running at the fences so I gave up.

On Sunday it was my third attempt to get to my first SJ clinic at 90cm. I knew the lorry battery was a bit flat so I had it on charge the previous day, but it was completely dead. I tried to jump start it off the car which I have done many times before but that didn't work either so another clinic cancelled :( The mechanic is going to come and look at it and fit a battery isolator but I haven't got a date yet so no more going out and about for me at the moment. It was too windy to hack again so I hijacked the yard veteran again to cheer myself up.

In the late afternoon I had a lesson at home and to my surprise Harvey decided to play nicely. We are still concentrating on working on my steering and rhythm.

Sorry that all my piccies look the same - they are different ones honestly!

Saturday's mad session!
i-Nq3qzBX-XL.jpg

Sunday at 90cm
i-Tj73mfF-XL.jpg

Hacking
1 hour 20
4 miles

Schooling
1 hour

Totals

Schooling
7 hours 10

Hacking
51.2 miles
15 hours 20

A frustrating weekend for me. Saturday was very windy - too windy for me to take the mad grey thing out hacking. Instead I borrowed YO's veteran and had a hack around with her (and even he had a couple of spooks. By 3:30 the wind had dropped a bit so I took Harvey in the school. He was a bit mad and kept spooking and running (I think the grass coming through is having an effect too). We ended up cantering round, and round, and round, and round until I was getting dizzy and still he didn't want to stop. I tried to do some jumping which will normally get him focussed but he was just running at the fences so I gave up.

On Sunday it was my third attempt to get to my first SJ clinic at 90cm. I knew the lorry battery was a bit flat so I had it on charge the previous day, but it was completely dead. I tried to jump start it off the car which I have done many times before but that didn't work either so another clinic cancelled :( The mechanic is going to come and look at it and fit a battery isolator but I haven't got a date yet so no more going out and about for me at the moment. It was too windy to hack again so I hijacked the yard veteran again to cheer myself up.

In the late afternoon I had a lesson at home and to my surprise Harvey decided to play nicely. We are still concentrating on working on my steering and rhythm.

Sorry that all my piccies look the same - they are different ones honestly!

Saturday's mad session!
i-Nq3qzBX-XL.jpg

Sunday at 90cm
i-Tj73mfF-XL.jpg

Hacking
1 hour 20
4 miles

Schooling
1 hour

Totals

Schooling
7 hours 10

Hacking
51.2 miles
15 hours 20
Always good when a frustrating weekend finishes on a good note - perseverance paid off!

It's been horrible week here with snow and record cold temps there is a bit of melting. Yesterday and today .
We may have turned the corner on temps
Thank God we will be above freezing
And lots I'd sun til Thursday with rain Friday.
Hopefully I can try and play soon.
Yet again you trump us all on the bad weather stakes! Hope it clears up for you soon!

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
Sonny unmounted 15.75hrs
Mounted 3.75 hrs

WOO HOO I DID GET TO PLAY TODAY!!!!:):):):):)

The snow is slippery and places it packed down will be worse now before its better
becoming icy.

Im just happy I could get some play in at all.

The wind came up very gusty but he was still really good no silly britches.

If the sun nips into it every day.....;)
IMG_9502.JPG

IMG_9485.JPGIMG_9498.JPG

This was no fun the other day getting out to the barn
IMG_9321.JPGIMG_9326.JPGIMG_9338.JPGIMG_9323.JPG
I did all the early am snowblowing later my husband did more of the worse of the shoveling and made a race track for the goats.

IMG_9388.JPGIMG_9374.JPG
I will be VERY HAPPY to see green again.

Sonny unmounted 15.75hrs
Mounted 3.75 hrs

WOO HOO I DID GET TO PLAY TODAY!!!!:):):):):)

The snow is slippery and places it packed down will be worse now before its better
becoming icy.

Im just happy I could get some play in at all.

The wind came up very gusty but he was still really good no silly britches.

If the sun nips into it every day.....;)
View attachment 97359

View attachment 97361View attachment 97360

This was no fun the other day getting out to the barn
View attachment 97363View attachment 97364View attachment 97365View attachment 97362
I did all the early am snowblowing later my husband did more of the worse of the shoveling and made a race track for the goats.

View attachment 97369View attachment 97367
I will be VERY HAPPY to see green again.
Love the goats on their roundabout race track!

newrider.com