2019 Hacking/Riding Thread

Sonny unmounted 16.25hrs
Mounted 3.75 hrs

Played again yesterday this time in part of my little arena.
Just walking over there was difficult and there is puddled water at the bottom making comperssed snow into ice.
So at the moment any given place can only be played upon one time until all this melts.

Its frustrating but im just happy to be able to do anything. I'm sure most like me without an
are not doing much either.

SPRING WILL GET HERE!!!

IMG_9583.JPG

IMG_9582.JPG
IMG_9544.JPGIMG_9558.JPGIMG_9553.JPGIMG_9539.JPGIMG_9568.JPG
IMG_9536.JPG

Sonny unmounted 17.25hrs
Mounted 3.75 hrs

Woo HOO played twice today!!CK :)

Things are melting and improving;):p.

First I played I low key in the little cavaletti pen.
Then out in my little arena and had some lovely trot:):):)
with no silly pants:D.

I was so pleased with it it was so nice and smooth and no slipping.

WE have 3 warm days in a row today then Friday with some rain and dry again

Saturday.
With any LUCK maybe most of this wiII BE GONE ;);)IMG_9751.JPGIMG_9743.JPGIMG_9738.JPGIMG_9698.JPGIMG_9680.JPGIMG_9656.JPGIMG_9649.JPGIMG_9765.JPG

Reactions: GaryB and Huggy
Sonny unmounted 17.25hrs
Mounted 3.75 hrs

Woo HOO played twice today!!CK :)

Things are melting and improving;):p.

First I played I low key in the little cavaletti pen.
Then out in my little arena and had some lovely trot:):):)
with no silly pants:D.

I was so pleased with it it was so nice and smooth and no slipping.

WE have 3 warm days in a row today then Friday with some rain and dry again

Saturday.
With any LUCK maybe most of this wiII BE GONE ;);)View attachment 97406View attachment 97407View attachment 97408View attachment 97409View attachment 97410View attachment 97411View attachment 97412View attachment 97405
Oh, pretty boy in pic no.1 !

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
Very windy and wild - again. Almost didn't go out but glad I did. Hacked for just over an hour. Same flipping group of forest ponies hanging around, and this time had to wave my whip at one of them that came leering up to us. Hogan tensed and thought seriously about ditching me and hanging out with them, but thought better of it - they had no food to offer him, so I was the obvious choice. Then met a group of people walking with those stick thingys - this time I tensed and he just went "meh, so what." All this, with 50+ gale force winds whipping round us, so I was pretty pleased with him. Also had about 5 attempts at the gate out of the forest, as the wind kept blowing it away from me, but again, the little trooper behaved very well and I didn't have to get off to do it. By the way - anyone know why people use the stick thingys to walk? :oops:

I think its helps keep you stable walking on hilly or rough terrain giving you support.

Wow you ride in a forest with some wild ponies???? That sounds really interesting.
With ponies and wind your boy had a nice tight halo.:);)

Woke up to it still in the 40,s f woo hoo.
That should have helped melting.:p

I really cant tell til I feed at dawn but at the very least having stayed above freezing there won't be a lag to start melting again at dawn.
It will have slowly continued overnite.

I'm sooooo ready for it to be gone.

I think its helps keep you stable walking on hilly or rough terrain giving you support.

Wow you ride in a forest with some wild ponies???? That sounds really interesting.
With ponies and wind your boy had a nice tight halo.:);)

Woke up to it still in the 40,s f woo hoo.
That should have helped melting.:p

I really cant tell til I feed at dawn but at the very least having stayed above freezing there won't be a lag to start melting again at dawn.
It will have slowly continued overnite.

I'm sooooo ready for it to be gone.
Well, that's a mystery solved - they're everywhere with these stick things - luckily they don't bother Hogan, but some horses seem really alarmed by them. The forest ponies are also everywhere! Ramsey was actually bred on the forest and bought at auction as a foal by the girl I bought him from. The ponies never bothered him, except when we got got up in a drift (round up) - honestly thought my final moment had arrived! They herd the ponies to a coral (sp?) to check them over, every so often, and they stop for no man. (Or woman, dog or rider!) Ramsey just went totally mental, and joined the riders rounding up. Hogan was not brought up on the forest, so to the best of my knowledge, has not seen wild ponies before. So far he's been interested, but not too worried (touch wood). Really hope you get a break with the weather soon

It's running rivers of melt out there but the whole grassy hill has to melt and drain

Down off Virginia there is a heard of wild ponies on An island they round up swim across to the mainland and. Auction off a certain number.

Then there are the. BLM mustang's and burro,s that you Can adopt.

Some go to prisons to be tamed and saddle broke.
I saw a show and they really brought them along nicely to great riding horses.

I'd love to have one of them but that all takes place out west.

It's running rivers of melt out there but the whole grassy hill has to melt and drain

Down off Virginia there is a heard of wild ponies on An island they round up swim across to the mainland and. Auction off a certain number.

Then there are the. BLM mustang's and burro,s that you Can adopt.

Some go to prisons to be tamed and saddle broke.
I saw a show and they really brought them along nicely to great riding horses.

I'd love to have one of them but that all takes place out west.
They featured in a documentary here a couple of weeks ago. I believe they said that they're very expensive to buy? The forest ponies sell quite cheaply, but as adult ponies they're pretty desirable and very popular. I'll try and get a pic of those bothersome ones near us when I next go out. I suppose you'll have rivers of mud once everything thaws?

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
Sonny unmounted 18.00hrs
Mounted 3.75 hrs

WOO HOO a couple warm days made a big difference.:D:D

I played on bare ground in my little arena. There are still icy spots but we are improving :)
He ground tied nicely when i picked up a poop he just did but one that had gotten lost in snow was still hard fast frozen to the ground.
There is more melting and frost to come out of the ground but there is now
A LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL...;);););):p:p:p

He wanted some nibbles but there is NOTING TO NIBBLE YET.
HE HAD FUN LOOKING :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

We are very cold in low 20's at nite and this week just breaking 40f in the day but wit NO SNOW in the forecast:D:D:D:D:D and pretty dry except for a bit of rain
Thursday ...
The ground should start showing SOME LIFE..;);)

I AM SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO READY.

IMG_9910.JPGIMG_9892.JPGIMG_9884.JPGIMG_9882.JPGIMG_9932.JPG

Annoyed with the weather today - got to the yard just too late, and Hogan was drenched! Didn't stay dry enough long enough to get him dry. May have to start popping a rain sheet on the night before I intend to ride.:mad:
I ride anyway, but of water won’t hurt. Obviously if they are plastered in mud too that’s different.

Well I have lost track of our miles, I kind of hoped I wouldn’t but I kind of know I’m rubbish at keeping a tally.....
We’ve been out most days for a little ride even if that’s just a 20 min bareback hack to the end of the lane and back, I know I’ve said it before but you just can’t beat riding a super floofy horse bareback on a cold morning.

Thank you,
I think one would be perfect for @Jessey
I wouldn’t mind one myself actually.
Wonder how much it would cost to ship one over to the UK, quite a lot I imagine.
A BLM mustang is on my list, the problem is you cannot adopt one from out of the country, so I would have to have a friend in the US do it for me, they then have to retain it for 12 months before they can sell it to me to ship in, hence it's a less realistic proposition sadly.

Ohhh I knew about a year to ownership but not that you cant adopt out of country

My issue would be sight and ridden unseen. RIDDEN ACTUALLY.

A horse can be great with one person and not suited to someone else.

The horse could seem flawless and have a very bold unintimidated rider.

As I get older.. I get less and less bold.:(

Some things I did as a kid on my first pony I think now...
Wow was I stupid AND VERY LUCKY :eek::eek::rolleyes:

A bit of a sense of deja vu on Saturday as it was windy yet again. Harvey spooks at pretty much everything if its windy. We rode in the school but the side with the hedge was very scary so we could only ride on the other side and every time they was a gust Harvey would shoot forwards. After about 20 minutes I decided it was getting a bit dangerous so I gave up.

Sunday was a lot nicer. I have been invited to a 10 mile pleasure ride and Harvey isn't very hacking fit so we set off to start and remedy that a bit. We had a fun 6 mile wander around (although not without a few spooks as it was still gusty.

Only Harvey! This a new bag of wood pellets I was about to add to his bed
i-pNmGnQn-XL.jpg

Still a bit windy!
i-fQBdjkq-XL.jpg

Schooling
20 minutes

Hacking
6.1 miles
1 hour 20

Totals

Schooling
7 hours 30