2019 Hacking/Riding Thread

I'll be very happy to see some GREEN

I try to make it fun and festive.

There are some. Pretty flowering trees
Here. I planted a lot of forsythia along the stone walk going to the tree line by my little arena but they are still teeny tiny.

Having real flowers in all the pots was pretty but there are too many spread too far and wide to be practical.

I do have real flowers lots of day lilys along the front stone wall and in the middle of the front yard in a bed I made with a bench and horsehead
And an iris bed

Those are manageable

I see a very few iris barely popping up
But not much else yet

Reactions: GaryB
This place did have some nice touches.
The 2 Stones etched stones had the name and a cow and pig because it was a cow and pig farm.
We added the horse and goat.;)

And being flagged with the gigantic azaleIMG_0649.JPGa is totally awesome:):):)
IMG_0540.JPG
I dug up larger forsythia from the old house and added them at the stone near the driveway
I am very anxiously waiting for them to BLOOM

From the dates on my photos its kind of towards the end of May.

Hour and a half out today, beautiful morning. Something spooked Hogan all the way down the back lane to the forest gate - must have been ghosts, I couldn't see a thing. Steadily increasing the trots now, longer and more of them (though they are still pathetically short!) The damn ponies are back!! Narrow track between the trees and there they were - 3 or 4 either side and 1 smack bang in the middle. Not a problem today though, as Hogan walked through and past, slowly but at least he did it. Really cheeky when we stopped to talk to lady in next field to ours - hopping around, throwing his head about, but it doesn't worry me like it used to, and therefore he settled quicker. Anyone else aware of a lot of mixy rabbits this year? I know they're a pest, but feel so sorry for them.:(

Sonny unmounted 20.50hrs
Mounted 3.75 hrs

Dispite nasty winds had Some awesome play.
My little arena footing is super and had great w-t-c:)

My large round pens still have a little ice on the far side towards the tree line:mad:
but it was softening so I played In there a long time low key.
Sonny was really good to look down at the ice as he crossed it.
It was not real hard ice but even softening could be slippery.
He did get a little silly pants in there and coupled with the bad winds I figured
it was time to call it a day and look for some grass nibbles.
There is just the very very teeny tinges of green starting not much but its a start.

WE hit 60F YESTERDAY woo hoo.:p:p:p:p
It felt really good even with the nasty wind and felt sooooo good;).

Its the first time I'd been out and about not only without a coat and hat but
not even a sweatshirt on:p:p:p. It was SOOOO NICE.
Just a turtleneck.
I saw a robin yesterday too .

But this is REALLY BIG......:D:D:D:D:D:D
I HEARD PEEPERS :):):)
That was sooooooooooooo nice it really made it feel like spring.
They are very far out back past the property where there is a wet spot and
wow they were loud.
Hmmm

Hmmm maybe theIMG_0994.JPGIMG_0996.JPGIMG_1002.JPGy were thrilled spring has sprung too:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

IMG_1028.JPGIMG_1012.JPG

IMG_1078.JPG

We had a fun weekend. On Saturday I had planned a short hack. My OH mentions that out weekend groom had been sadly saying she hadn't been able to hack for over 6 months (She is at equine college but doesn't have a horse of her own). We checked with YO if she could borrow the veteran (Archie) for a hack and then I invited her to ride with me. We had a nice hack around. Archie only normally does a short trip around the block and he really enjoyed a longer trip. He got very excited the moment we set foot on the bridleway so we had to stay in walk (as I know he can get *very* strong if he gets going). We had some trots on the road though.

Sunday was a pleasure ride at Catton Hall which was part of an endurance ride organised by Sport Endurance UK. We met up with my old riding companions from my previous yard with just L riding with me. It was a really nice 10 mile ride with loads of chances to canter. The horses were desperate for a run and the first canter turned into a bit of a flat out gallop. Harvey was still asking for a run at the end and we galloped past the photographer near the end. Annoyingly the best photo was out of focus :(

Saturday's ride. This young lady is under 18 so I have blurred her a bit
i-MDxKZW6-XL.jpg

Sundays ride. This young lady is also under 18 so also blurred where necessary

Setting off
i-2P66XW4-XL.jpg

i-66Rs9mh-XL.jpg

9 1/2 miles later - Harvey being dopey as usual!

i-TMHV4L9-XL.jpg

Ponies sharing nicely while we had coffee and cakes!
i-LvHzr3M-XL.jpg

Hacking
3 hours 30
14.5 miles

Totals

Schooling
7 hours 30

Hacking
82.3 miles
23 hours 10

Out Saturday for hour and a half - Hogan again happy to be outside the inclosure, didn't really bat an eye at it. Some nice extended trots.
Out today for about an hour - I have a stinking cold, but wasn't going to pass up the good weather. Hogan not terribly keen to do much today - bit of a battle to get a trot out of him! Got there eventually - I wanted something steady for my next horse, and I got it! Be careful what you wish for lol. Contrary little so and so - was at the bottom of his field this afternoon and galloped up as though the hounds of hell were at his heels. Didn't put that energy into the ride this morning!:confused:

Sonny unmounted 22.00hrs
Mounted 3.75 hrs

Sonnny's halo fell hard Monday.:mad: To witnesses:eek::eek::eek:

It was really cold and windy. I played a little in the round pen and he was silly.
It was a real go thru your hat and hood combined cold wind.

I left him out in the cavaletti pen and would look out to him chasing around.

So I went back out later to play online in the arena.

OMG the halo FELL and the spring BROKE.o_Oo_O

He really chased around carrying on way beyond attitude. But I am pleased he did not
yank on the line.
The new boarders across the street pulled in while he was at is worse:(:(.

I had to keep him going a long time and he did finally settle down to behaving to nice
w-t -c
He got really sweaty and it took a long time to cool him.

I got REALLY REALLY cold and chilled out there.

I cooled him then let him have some nibbles to make sure he was totally cooled.

We got heavy rain overnite but thankfully the snow stayed north of here:):)
Now that its moving off we will have heavy nasty winds again 40-50 but it will
not be nearly as cold.

When he finally settled it was much better.

Sonny unmounted 23.00hrs
Mounted 3.75 hrs

Yesterday was really windy again but much warmer.
Play was really good a a little attitude but no extreme silly pants.

Its still really windy out there this am but also really cold too ugh a go thru you cold.

Hopefully it will get better later today.
Things are starting to green up a bit.

Well my stinking cold morphed into flu (or very close to it). Have only managed to stagger up and throw food at them for 3 days. Managed to bring Hogan in this evening, and the little twerp hauled me all over the place, mini rears, head tossing, the lot. Have learned he gets snarky a) when he's "hungry", b) when it rains hard, and c) when he's been left in the field for what he deems is too long. He then proceeded to "dry" himself all along the stable partition, knocking down all the rugs in the process tried to bite Ramseys bum over said partition and finally knocked his own head on it because he was throwing a hissy about the cruel treatment he'd been subjected to. Who could blame him? I brought him in out the rain, I gave him a bucket of food and a full haynet. CALL THE RSPCA :rolleyes:.

newrider.com