2019 Hacking/Riding Thread

Hour and a half out yesterday with his friend. It was HOT! He was actually a bit of a git. May have been a fly, or maybe a slightly gungy eye, but he shook and threw his head about the whole ride. :mad: To be fair, he didn't misbehave, but it was REALLY irritating! Have put a fly mask on, and may have to buy one we can ride with.

Reactions: GaryB
Well I have suddenly got a demon pony. Went out today, lovely hack, trotting and leg yielding, all hunky dory, tra la. Two riders came up behind us as we were approaching the gate out of the inclosure. One of them was a right miserable mare (the rider, not the horse) - couldn't even raise a "good morning", so thought I'd be nice, as we're slow, and said for them to go ahead, and I'd shut the gate. The minute they went through the gate, Hogan turned into a monster. Half rearing, spinning round, throwing his head about. Managed to sit it out, while shutting the gate, and what do the other two do? Trotted off, full pelt, up the track. They must have seen I was having problems, but just didn't give a damn. He settled down and we got home no problem. I think he has got away with stuff like this as a riding school horse, and does seem to learn pretty fast that I'm not going to let him away with it. Even managed a little trot on the last bit before home. Latest score - Me : 1 , Hogan : 0. :p

Ohhh yes that halo fell off.
Glad your fine and won the match.:)

Ugh nice people..

In the past when riding Borderland park
Before we moved occassionally you would run into unfriendly snits.

And lol id hear the snitty comment..
Humph doesn't even have a bridle on that horse....
I'd yell back BECAUSE I CAN...:)

Sonny unmounted 28.25hrs
Mounted 5.75 hrs

WE have been in quite a rainy pattern and its continuing.:):mad:

Its good and bad good for plants and to have the moth larve that dessimated trees and forests a couple years ago in a row due to dry springs get the fungus that will kill them off.:)
The bad it makes it hard to do anything:mad:

I played in the arena and one of the Big round pens multiple times Sunday when the rain stopped. It was not continuous but big downpours.

The next 10 days don't look to have a huge pattern change.:(

Forsythia looks very cheery on a gloomy day.
These ones I transplanted from the baby area hopefully will fill out well.

We have had what I thought was a woodchuck in the corner under the stone wall near the barn for a couple years.
We had not crossed paths.
But ugh my husband came in from outside a couple nites ago and said he saw the
tenant unuder the wall.
Ohh a litte woodchuck ….. no PEPE LE PU....
We have co existed a couple years I'm not thrilled to find its a skunk... I hope its a bachelor.

Thankfully even with all the rain the footing is staying really good.

Well I have suddenly got a demon pony. Went out today, lovely hack, trotting and leg yielding, all hunky dory, tra la. Two riders came up behind us as we were approaching the gate out of the inclosure. One of them was a right miserable mare (the rider, not the horse) - couldn't even raise a "good morning", so thought I'd be nice, as we're slow, and said for them to go ahead, and I'd shut the gate. The minute they went through the gate, Hogan turned into a monster. Half rearing, spinning round, throwing his head about. Managed to sit it out, while shutting the gate, and what do the other two do? Trotted off, full pelt, up the track. They must have seen I was having problems, but just didn't give a damn. He settled down and we got home no problem. I think he has got away with stuff like this as a riding school horse, and does seem to learn pretty fast that I'm not going to let him away with it. Even managed a little trot on the last bit before home. Latest score - Me : 1 , Hogan : 0. :p

That's so rude of them! ARgh.

The minute they went through the gate, Hogan turned into a monster. Half rearing, spinning round, throwing his head about. Managed to sit it out, while shutting the gate, and what do the other two do? Trotted off, full pelt, up the track.
To be fair I think a lot of horses would react badly to that - I know Harvey would.

We had a wonderfully warm and sunny long weekend. Harvey and I hacked out on our own on Friday and Saturday. On Sunday I rode with A our young groom and took her on a 2 hour hack which i think is the longest she has done for a long time - she seemed to enjoy it. On Monday I just decided to school for 20 minutes. Sadly the Grey Thing had other ideas. It was a bit sindey and he decided to spook at everything in sight (and quite a few things that weren't). We spent a long time doing walk trot transitions, circles, walking up and down by the scary hedge and anything else I could think of to try and settle him down all to no avail. I then tried some jumping but he would really focus and was still spooking and rushing. After 55 minutes he had improved a bit so I called it a draw.
He then got to go in one of the fallow paddocks as it needed mowing and Harvey is the only one that doesn't get fat on long grass. Unfortunately he continued to be stupid and was goiing to end up going through a fence so I put him back in his own paddock (100m away!!) where he finally settled down.

This was on Saturday when he grazed quite happily, Sunday was also ok, but on Monday it was too frightening for Mr Cowardly Custard.
i-wD9DBXk-X2.jpg

i-XPJS9jf-X2.jpg

Hacking
14 miles
4 hours

Schooling
55 minutes

Totals

Schooling
10 hours 35

Hacking
100.7 miles
28 hours 25

Sonny Unmounted 32.00 hrs
Mounted 5.75 hrs

A lot of play in different places yesterday several times big round pen arena
cavaletti out in the front yard..
Sonny is becoming a bit of a Grass a holic and boycotting first cut a bit.
He gets second cut just in the am free choice first all the time and now some grass added.

I am probably a bit unpopular along several lines. I joined a club here when we moved but
the meetings are not close and at nite and never in the summer months when you could go
and come back in the light. I don't go far at nite so I have not re joined.
The other club ive been in for years I still belong to.

I have opted to not do lessons I have not been riding that much due to weather and I can pop out on spur of the moment and play and work on finesse at liberty etc in less than Ideal
contidtions.

This trainer last year would only come out for several people. I totally hate being on the spot and pressure that if I DON'T take lessons no one can.
Right now when I ride I really want it to be no pressure fun and relaxing.

Something not including me98046 should be able to be worked out even though she is not that close.

Online i try to mix things up over cavaletti

Reactions: GaryB and Trewsers
Sonny Unmounted 32.5 hrs
Mounted 5.75 hrs

Good play in the little cavaletti pen yesterday.
Im trying to fine tune short stints of transition in there then carry it over to the
really big round pen.

I got bit or got into somethimg yesterday I have a swollen hand and eye most annoying.
Its raining today when I went out to quicky plant some sprouted sunflower into pots OMG
THIS MUST HAVE POPPED UP OVER NITE..
I know I could not have missed it:eek::eek:

I really love that around the horseheads and the farm name stone :);)

Sonny unmounted 34.75 hrs
Mounted 5.75 hrs

What a wet patch of weather thats going to continue for at least another week
But thankfully its not been WHITE :eek:
Chicago got snow yesterday and north of us in New York State will get some today:(

Even with torrential flooding rain Friday night we have drained well snd the footing is good:)

I played in the arena off the cuff without my stick and string and he was super
Then i had great cavaletti work in my little csvaletti pen.
It was horrible nasty wind yesterday and as i was going to go let him eat some Grass and go for another play in the front yard a horrible storm whipped up that felt like a hurricane ugh going thru.

Today is not windy but only got sunny for an hour at dawn. Then got dank overcast agsin and its quite cold:mad::(.

I just had a great play in the arena and big round pen. That round pen woo hoo had good footing too. As did the arena.
Lo
That will probably be the only play today cause the ugh RAIN that was supposed to be afternoon seems to be coming LOTS quicker.:mad:

Im trying to get good play giving him grass with this really wet pattern.

I still consider myself VERY LUCKY
to have good footing with all this crummy weather driving into town
There are sooooo many really REALLY
Wet yards and flooded areas even the peoples docks near where I cross the little narrow bridge were under water.

This being the wettest April in history around here would certainly be the time to get a good look at the usable property if you were looking at houses.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I will be very glad for it to moderate a bit.

Storm Hannah curtailed my riding somewhat last weekend. It was so windy on Saturday that I didn't ride as Harvey just isn't safe even in the school. Sunday was much nicer so we had a nice hack round - Harvey was exuberant but not naughty. I also move him back onto the long grass and this time thank goodness he behaved.

Happy pony!
i-KM8tb3T-XL.jpg

i-XjnVvV6-XL.jpg

Hacking
4.5 miles
1 hour

Totals

Schooling
10 hours 35

Hacking
105.2 miles
29 hours 25

I don't like riding in heavy winds either:(.
No matter how good a horse might be there is no point to pushing it.

No play the last couple days not sure about today either:mad: but in spitting rain I
decorated the 2 cavaletti in front of the blueberries.;):)
This unsettled crummy weather is going to continue thru the weekend.:mad:

I let Sonny have some grass out next to and behind his stall yesterday.

I added a few more by the entrance to the arena

Well, first ride on Hogan since last week when Ramsey was pts. (And since Hogan crippled me!) A very short one, walking only, as my ankle is still too sore to trot. He was good as gold, thank goodness, and my only problem was that when we got home I couldn't figure out how to dismount without hurting my ankle. Should have thought ahead! After 5 minutes of dithering, I bit the bullet and swung off, and it did hurt, but bearable, so at least I know I can do it.

newrider.com