2019 Hacking/Riding Thread

Sonny unmounted 38.00 hrs
Mounted 6.25 hrs
Some more play in arena and big rd pen dodging crummy weather.
We finally had a play day yesterday and woo woo I rode and OMG the SUN;)
came out very briefly.
I took hoola hoops over by Toni then I was hoola hoop day here too and come cavletti
and step on the rock.
I have not played rocks on line at all and he was a bit rusty but got it. I will have to do more ov that.
MORE UGH:(:mad: heavy rain later on but I was trilled for the little bit of sun when riding.
Over nite heavy rain again most is past but its going to be a foggy gloomy damp dank day
but worse tomorrow with heavy rain over nite tonite continuing thru tomorrow.
We have a play day set for Monday at the moment is supposed to be sunny woo hoo.

This pattern does not appear to 9815498153be breaking the weekend crummy then after Monday and Tuesday all unsettled showers all the rest of the week again:mad:
I have the kentucky derby set to record late today I guess that track is supposed to be total mud. Some horses shine in those crappy conditions.
I am just glad I can do lots of fun online and liberty working towards more and more finesse
that I can work in this miserable weather.
If it was just riding I'd be one VERY UNHAPPY CAMPER.

Good and bad today, Hogan was put in with Ramseys field mate yesterday, and it all went swimmingly. He's being caught no problem, despite there being lots of grass - bonus! However when we hacked out he felt a bit fresh (Yes, Hogan is capable of being "fresh"!) then he began calling - to everyone - the field mate, the horses across the lane, the horses down the lane, the horses on the other side of the road - literally everyone. Joggy joggy down the lane, huffy puffy round the inclosure, joggy joggy back up the lane. With my bad ankle I was reluctant to do much, but at least we got out. I'm so glad he's got company now, and they seem well matched - He's made it clear to Barnaby that he doesn't want to be boss, but he won't be bossed around either.Screenshot_20190504-103728_Video Player.jpg

Sonny unmounted 38.75 hrs
Mounted 6.25 hrs

Played yesterday in the arena and big rd pen.
He did great sending him into the hoola hoops.
He did better with the blue and silver one that shows up really well.
It was a crummy damp dank gloomy day:(:mad:

I was VERY VERY LUCKY that I regularly let the line drop and let him eat in the front yard and
other unfenced areas.

I let him in the big rd pen to eat grass for a few hours...
I took a look occationally when taking out trash etc etc.

I walk out later and OMG hes NOT in the round pen:eek::eek::eek:

He is outside in the taller grass beyond the arena.
Not a big deal if I'm out there and he's got the halter on with the line...
But he was turned into the big rd pen no halter etc...

He was such a good boy I walked up to the rd pen got the halter and line then walked
over and put it on him;););):):):)
Had that been Andi that would not have been good :(o_O

There is no way he could get it open so ohhhh I must not have put the latch on totally
or something:mad::mad::mad:.

I have to make sure I double check that from now on.

Today is rain heavy at times AGAIN UGH.

But tomorrow for play is supposed to be SUNNY woo hoo.:);):p:D

Here the gate is shut but latch must not have been hard fast

It was the Kentucky derby yesterday and this was kind of cool
A life size flower sculputure in New York City

Hats are always the big thing on Derby Day.
This news person had one made from a bridle.

What a horrible sloppy mess the track was
No wonder the lead horse came out of line a bit one the last turn he was in the lead wire to wire and always at least a shoulder ahead.
I don't know enough about racing to know if a disqualification was warranted.

That whole track is just suck ugh muck.

Was Huggy on his own before? Only asking as Belle did a lot of shouting to any horse who would listen when she got field mates, it might take him a wee while to get used to leaving but he’ll soon settle down.
For what it’s worth Belle was jiggy joggy this morning too, I’m blaming the grass!

Was Huggy on his own before? Only asking as Belle did a lot of shouting to any horse who would listen when she got field mates, it might take him a wee while to get used to leaving but he’ll soon settle down.
For what it’s worth Belle was jiggy joggy this morning too, I’m blaming the grass!
Yes, he was over the fence from Ramsey and Barnaby. I think you're spot on there - and I'm blaming the grass too!

Lol outrageous seems to be the word of the day when it comes to hats on derby day.
Personally for the fun of it I'd probably like something with a bridle... bits or something but incorporated into a hat of a bit more substance:rolleyes:

Today is supposed to be a play day and supposed to be SUNNY.
I hope so its very early but right now its dank dreary gloomy cold:mad::(
I started a couple binders of pole and cone patterns one for me and one for
Toni.
To have other fun ideas to play with putting out a few poles
and different ideas for play
I added a clip board too.

Hacked out for 1hour on Monday, I'm a bit doomed at the mo - the two riders that caused me problems before were out today, so I spent the whole ride looking over my shoulder! Managed to avoid, thankfully! Managing trotting again, though getting off is a challenge with my ankle. At least Hogan didn't shout out for the whole time. He's very definitely boss in the new field, I just hope he's not a bully, though he doesn't chase the other one - just warns him off. They do play, but never get too close to each other - old B is very cautious!20190507_072408.jpg

Sonny unmounted 39.75 hrs
Mounted 7.00 hrs

Played in the am then rode later :)

I worked on sending him into the hoola hoops and the cut tire thing.
He did well. View attachment 98230View attachment 98231View attachment 98229

When I rode I played with the cavaletti and tire in the front yard.
View attachment 98234View attachment 98235View attachment 98236View attachment 98237View attachment 98233
I put the net on my helmet and tucked it in but I can pull it down if needed.
Weather looks better! And you have lots of green!

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
Out for an hour again today - spring grass definitely affecting Hogan - he's being quite the git! I feel I've taken a few backward steps, as I'm so wary about my ankle, but at least we had a few active trots and to be fair he settled down - even if it was when we started for home!

Shoot me now (or Hogan!) Didn't even get on as he was such a total git. For details see my thread "the ride that never was...". Feeling very disheartened :(

@Huggy while your ankle is sore would it be better for you if you did ground work with him instead of riding? I'm just wondering if the combination of spring grass, you not feeling yourself and him now having a field mate could all be contributing to his being a 'git' as you call him? It might do him and you good to take the pressure off both of you for a wee while, plus it will reinforce your 'leadership' in his eyes. Of course I could be talking complete twaddle, in which case feel free to ignore me :)

Reactions: Huggy
@Huggy while your ankle is sore would it be better for you if you did ground work with him instead of riding? I'm just wondering if the combination of spring grass, you not feeling yourself and him now having a field mate could all be contributing to his being a 'git' as you call him? It might do him and you good to take the pressure off both of you for a wee while, plus it will reinforce your 'leadership' in his eyes. Of course I could be talking complete twaddle, in which case feel free to ignore me :)
Everything you've said is exactly what I've thought. Just brought him in to feed this morning, and he was lovely - calm, stood quietly( I always make him wait for his bucket), let me put fly mask on ( normally a bit of resistance). Schizo boy! I'm going to start with walking him as usual tomorrow, and if he seems fine, I'll hop on. If not, as you say, I'll just rewind back to leading out for the time being. Thanks.

Sonny unmounted 42.50 hrs
Mounted 7.00 hrs

Done some play the weather has been miserable the Only NICE DAY was Saturday a bit llater in the day.
Early in the am I went to a big plant sale.
Later we went a fair distance for second cut and stopped at a gigantic shed place on the way
home. Lovely sheds but omg the prices I really appreciate the value of the buildings on this
property......

I ended up just letting sonny eat grass n the front yard It was late in the afternoon and
Just let him enjoy some yummy grass.

He looked pretty with the apple trees in bloom

Sunday mothers day was a wash out.
And yesterday not great either
but I did get him before the rain into the big paddock in the back for a while
then did do a big play in his paddock really lovely liberty and a a bit of silly boy cause it
was so cold. ugh then more rain.
WE are having a play day in a bit but its kind of uky misty so it will be ground play.

This is nuts im outside in winter coats and hats.
There is no real break to this rainy pattern. but it could always BE WORSE
not that far north has had SNOW UGH:eek::eek:

Sonny unmounted 43.00 hrs
Mounted 7.00 hrs

WE did play its cold and nasty and damp ugh.

I put him in the big paddock out back before going over to Toni's

I just played a bit on line and a bit of side pass and send into the cut tire etc
I went to send him to hoola hoop he stopped with it tipped up...
OK MOM THIS DESERVERS MORE TREATS.
ANYONE CAN JUST STEP IN IT LOL

newrider.com