2020 Hacking & Riding Thread

More Zi play today but what a bad boy again! Nip nip nip all the way around - he is really bad for it right now. He's always been nippy when being rugged or saddled, we thought if it's his only vice it wasn't that bad! He doesn't get many treats either - but we have tried cutting them out altogether to no avail. Anyway, he did settle but took a lot of coaxing to do the backing up nicely today! Argh. We will get there...........................

More Zi play today but what a bad boy again! Nip nip nip all the way around - he is really bad for it right now. He's always been nippy when being rugged or saddled, we thought if it's his only vice it wasn't that bad! He doesn't get many treats either - but we have tried cutting them out altogether to no avail. Anyway, he did settle but took a lot of coaxing to do the backing up nicely today! Argh. We will get there...........................
Zi - what's got into you!? Tut tut.

I don't know his history Trwesers, but has he been checked out physically? Almost all the horses I know that have been nippy to rug or saddle had or had previously some kind pain or discomfort in the past. The time of year and weather can really affect some physically and if he is uncomfortable in some way, can play a huge part. Especially if he's finding it difficult to work in-hand and back up.

I don't know his history Trwesers, but has he been checked out physically? Almost all the horses I know that have been nippy to rug or saddle had or had previously some kind pain or discomfort in the past. The time of year and weather can really affect some physically and if he is uncomfortable in some way, can play a huge part. Especially if he's finding it difficult to work in-hand and back up.
Yes he’s been checked over not long ago vet came and gave Chloe and him a good look over. And his teeth were done by the vet too. He’s always nipped and at first I suspected just a treat thing! But he does remind me of joe our last tb gelding who nip occasionally more like a play thing - not nasty. This isn’t nasty just annoying! I’m in touch with his last owner and there’s nothing like ulcers in his history either. He’s nippy with or without his tack on too. He’s done it since we got him three years ago and I suspect he’s always done it as I remember when he was being tacked up at our first viewing and she corrected him because he was either seeking treats or nipping. At first I was worried it was something to do with not liking being girthed but it’s not as he will do it randomly in his apartment. I have been teaching him carrot stretches to sort of deflect the nipping and make him work for a treat. He’s very good at them now.

Reactions: Huggy
Once in a great while sonny will give me a nip on the butt.
I think he is just seizing the opportunity to be mischievous.... it is a big target.

I use lots of treats.
Sometimes he will gravitate to the tire wall hang out spot cause he knows he will get a treat there.

And if we are still stopped after doing something and he has gotten his treat he will turn and lookat me....ANOTHER TREAT MOM???

Nasty nipping and biting can be scary and dangerous.

Tobias across the street out of the blue lunged me us walking near his fence to the arena a couple years ago.
Anytime after that i give that fence a wide berth.
It wasn't just me.
I think there is a sign now but
With all the guests wandering around I'd
have a double fence.
But like mask wearing and loose guests dogs running around nothing seems to be a concern.

About 40 years ago when living in Vermont riding w someone I had a horse lunge grab my coat sleeve so hard he
RIPPED IT OFF.
That scared the crap out of me if it had gotten my arm or my horse we could have been seriously hurt.
She knew the horse did this I did not and came up near us while riding.
I WAS FURIOUS.
I told my sister in law at the time who was a friend of this person no way am I riding with that person again.
I'm not going to endanger me or Rebel my horse at the time.

• Wow
Reactions: Huggy and Trewsers
Once in a great while sonny will give me a nip on the butt.
I think he is just seizing the opportunity to be mischievous.... it is a big target.

I use lots of treats.
Sometimes he will gravitate to the tire wall hang out spot cause he knows he will get a treat there.

And if we are still stopped after doing something and he has gotten his treat he will turn and lookat me....ANOTHER TREAT MOM???

Nasty nipping and biting can be scary and dangerous.

Tobias across the street out of the blue lunged me us walking near his fence to the arena a couple years ago.
Anytime after that i give that fence a wide berth.
It wasn't just me.
I think there is a sign now but
With all the guests wandering around I'd
have a double fence.
But like mask wearing and loose guests dogs running around nothing seems to be a concern.

About 40 years ago when living in Vermont riding w someone I had a horse lunge grab my coat sleeve so hard he
RIPPED IT OFF.
That scared the crap out of me if it had gotten my arm or my horse we could have been seriously hurt.
She knew the horse did this I did not and came up near us while riding.
I WAS FURIOUS.
I told my sister in law at the time who was a friend of this person no way am I riding with that person again.
I'm not going to endanger me or Rebel my horse at the time.
I don’t think Zi means it to be nasty it’s more like a nudge nudge I’m here thing. But all the same it needs correcting. I find geldings more playful than mares. Storm will nip but usually it’s aimed at Chloe not me. That would be scary ripping your coat sleeve off ?

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
While we're on the subject of nipping etc. Just got back from moving the horses off the good grass, which we do every day. Very windy, and it's been heavy rain off and on all day. They're grazing quietly, headcollar on, start up the field, and Hogan goes full on mental. Rearing, throwing himself around, being a complete twit. No clue what set him off. I managed to hold onto him, but when we let them go in the other field, I was shaking. I suppose it's good that he stopped short of pulling me over, or pulling the rope out of my hands, which he could have done, had he really wanted to. Just when I think he's lost most of his thugginess, he goes and does something like this. :rolleyes:

While we're on the subject of nipping etc. Just got back from moving the horses off the good grass, which we do every day. Very windy, and it's been heavy rain off and on all day. They're grazing quietly, headcollar on, start up the field, and Hogan goes full on mental. Rearing, throwing himself around, being a complete twit. No clue what set him off. I managed to hold onto him, but when we let them go in the other field, I was shaking. I suppose it's good that he stopped short of pulling me over, or pulling the rope out of my hands, which he could have done, had he really wanted to. Just when I think he's lost most of his thugginess, he goes and does something like this. :rolleyes:
Oh bad Hogan! I hate that shaking feeling, I can get jelly legs if madam hurls herself about in a morning when I take her out in-hand grazing. 99 per cent of the time she's a good lass but oh my, if something sets her off - I get quite wobbly afterwards! They all have their moments in winter I think.

Yes billy a bit silly with the wind it sparks him off.

Went to get the boys in and the heavens opened. So i carried on moving the fencing ready for them to go back onto Monday. Stopped as i got them in but i had to go change my clothes. My trousers were a bit too wet to ride in. Light drizzle as i left for my hack. Got to the end of the track and the wind was gusting so i decided to turn round and head back. Didnt fancy going up over the top. Managed 3 miles. Just got back and the heavens opened. So glad i didnt go up over or i would have been soaked to the skin. Ive left the boys stood in the yard under cover for now. Supposed to stop soon so I'll head out soon to turn them out and feed all the sheep.

Oh bad Hogan! I hate that shaking feeling, I can get jelly legs if madam hurls herself about in a morning when I take her out in-hand grazing. 99 per cent of the time she's a good lass but oh my, if something sets her off - I get quite wobbly afterwards! They all have their moments in winter I think.
Thank you! I need to hear occasionally that he is not the devil's spawn in equine form, and that other horses do this sort of thing. I was so darn spoiled with Ramsey, I could let the kids lead him in any situation. I've even got a pic of 4 year old daughter holding him at a show, with all sorts going on around them. I'm telling myself Hogan could have hurt me, if he wanted to, and didn't. I'm taking some convincing though!!

Huggy hes NOT.
Sonny gets a wild hair up his butt sometimes.

The temps had really dropped back yesterday am from the hot spell we had.
I hate it when they are all rambunctious and squirrely when I feed in the am.
He was all squeaky squealy reary spinning
Little bucks as i was walking to put his feed baggie in his bowl.
Nothing is directed at me but it still makes me nervous.
Its really cold this am 24f so I'm sure hes gonna be squirrely again.

Reactions: Huggy and Trewsers
Zi play happened today! Hurrah. I was beginning to feel like we'd lost our routine with the rubbish weather. He was good - a little reluctant to back up but that was down to wanting to reach down and grab a clump of grass from the side of the school :rolleyes: so I had to remind him he was actually doing something and not just browsing...............................Mr t is looking forward to getting on board again, today would have been ideal weather wise but we only bridled him and no saddle. Plus I don't think jeans are that easy to get on and off in - Mr T's are skinny jeans but not that stretchy so he needs to get properly kitted out and wear his man jodhs!

No riding for a few days now - granny duties. However, Hogan a bit uppity coming in this morning, but ok this afternoon. Only thing that's different is a couple of new horses in the field below ours. Got to be it - they probably had a hoolie yesterday in the wind and rain.

Got the boys in, tacked billy up and off we went. I could see rain coming in across the valley, was just hoping that it would miss us. Unfortunately not. I got very wet thighs and knees. It stopped by the time we got back. Managed a 2 mile hack round the roads.
I decided chunky needed to do something today. I keep running out of time to exercise him. Hes getting jealous when they are brought in and im brushing billy. He comes up behind and tries to bite billy and the ears go back. Rubbing his head on him. I was using the scissors to cut billys hair today and he is literally putting his nose on the scissors to get my attention. Whats that about, he normally minds his own business when hes being worked but doing less is making him a grumpy old man.
Anyway, i harnessed him up and took him out for a long reining session. We stopped off to go and feed the lambs in there field on route. We did a two mile long rein walk up the hill, across the top and back down. We were both puffing well going up. My knees were hurting walking back down. But he hardly sweated at all.

Got the boys in, tacked billy up and off we went. I could see rain coming in across the valley, was just hoping that it would miss us. Unfortunately not. I got very wet thighs and knees. It stopped by the time we got back. Managed a 2 mile hack round the roads.
I decided chunky needed to do something today. I keep running out of time to exercise him. Hes getting jealous when they are brought in and im brushing billy. He comes up behind and tries to bite billy and the ears go back. Rubbing his head on him. I was using the scissors to cut billys hair today and he is literally putting his nose on the scissors to get my attention. Whats that about, he normally minds his own business when hes being worked but doing less is making him a grumpy old man.
Anyway, i harnessed him up and took him out for a long reining session. We stopped off to go and feed the lambs in there field on route. We did a two mile long rein walk up the hill, across the top and back down. We were both puffing well going up. My knees were hurting walking back down. But he hardly sweated at all.
I'm envious of you getting out!

newrider.com