2020 Hacking & Riding Thread

That sounded like a great party for her!!! And yes, bet she'll always remember it.
Norty Harvey though - what's got into him?!!! Fancy escaping and having himself an illicit grass snack!
Must have had a chat with Hogan - the breaking stuff and grass snatching is his modus operandi. Sorry GaryB.?

Reactions: GaryB
A little cooler this morning. Hogan took going slowly to a whole new level - which is why this will be a short post - the only thing of interest is that I saw my first NF foal of the year. Now that will make rides interesting! Ramsey was always a little put off by them, I suppose because he only saw them for a short spell each year. Not sure what Hogan will make of them up close, as we didn't really come across them last year.

It's still very quiet in the forest. Hogan's in a strange mood, has been for the last few hacks. We were coming up behind a dog walker , and Hogan decided to trot (voluntarily, which is unheard of!) I said no, as I didn't want to give the guy a coronary, as he hadn't heard us, so we walked up until he turned and saw us. Had a little chat, and went to walk on - again he broke into trot without being asked, and again I made him walk a few paces, then asked for trot. Head tossing and snorting ensued with a little sideways dance, but then he moved on, with a very bad grace I might add. Snitty mood continued all the way home, culminating in a silly spook at the yard gate. Anyone else's being daft? Is it the grass do you think? Anyway, out again tomorrow, so hopefully he'll be in better form. :rolleyes:

@Huggy Mine two were twats in the field day before. Billys back legs were off the ground. I jokingly said to him and im supposed to be riding you in 10 minutes. I dont think so im going to be dead on the floor if you do that with me. Some lady was walking down the footpath next to the field she heard me say it and was looking to see if i was ok. Well that was the night he worked fab over the poles.
Even chunky was running around in the paddock. He got driven for the first time in 4 weeks. But his shoulder is definitely given him some discomfort as he looks lame again trotting in the carriage. Couldnt have been too bad if he wanted to run in the field.

Yesterday i did another polework session with Billy, again he was good. Didnt do too long, turned him out he decided he didnt want to eat the fresh section of grass id opened up, instead he flew back up the paddock. I ducked down under the electric fence into the hay section just as he flew past legs flailing out the back. Clearly the session wasnt long enough.

Its been windy here for a couple of days and the bit of field there now fenced in under the trees is in a very exposed area too. So catches northerly wind direction. Great to keep them cool but giving them the hooleys. Much calmer today so peace is restored. I think the fresh grass might also have gone to there head to.

Today i rode Billy and led Chunky round about 31/2 miles. Both good as gold. Infact in some places i just let chunky go and he just plodded behind us. Trotted when i trotted billy and one place i had a little canter and chunky just canter up behind and stopped when we stopped. Im so lucky with him, i know hes an old boy but hes just such a joy to have when i can do that with him. Its those special little moments.

Last edited:
Reactions: GaryB and Huggy
Lovely morning, Hogan ok, but still a bit spooky, which is so unlike him. Definitely think it's the grass. We took a route he's not crazy about, and he had a Hogan moment, dropping his head, to try to snatch the reins, but where previously he'd have pushed it and pushed it to a full blown argument, he gave up when I legged him on, and it turned out a nice ride.

Reactions: GaryB and Trewsers
Saturday was a day for yard Maintenance - with that and the heat I decided Harvey could have a day off

On Sunday I just fancied a nice peaceful lazy hack. Sadly Harvey had other ideas and seemed to go out of his way to annoy me starting with not standing for me to get on and then being a pain about going out through the gate. By the time I got back I was mentally composing his sale advert.

Monday was a bank holiday in the UK so we went into the school for a very strict schooling session. Havervey hasn't been allowed to do anything he wants, but from now on he has much more stringent boundaries to improve his discipline. We had a good session which he still seemed to enjoy.

I hopefully have a treat lined up for us both om Friday if he behaves :)

Hacking
4 miles
1 hour 10

Schooling
30 minutes

Totals
Schooling
13 hours 55

Hacking
22 hours 20
78.1 miles

Reactions: Trewsers and Huggy
Saturday was a day for yard Maintenance - with that and the heat I decided Harvey could have a day off

On Sunday I just fancied a nice peaceful lazy hack. Sadly Harvey had other ideas and seemed to go out of his way to annoy me starting with not standing for me to get on and then being a pain about going out through the gate. By the time I got back I was mentally composing his sale advert.

Monday was a bank holiday in the UK so we went into the school for a very strict schooling session. Havervey hasn't been allowed to do anything he wants, but from now on he has much more stringent boundaries to improve his discipline. We had a good session which he still seemed to enjoy.

I hopefully have a treat lined up for us both om Friday if he behaves :)

Hacking
4 miles
1 hour 10

Schooling
30 minutes

Totals
Schooling
13 hours 55

Hacking
22 hours 20
78.1 miles
I composed Ramseys for sale ads on a regular basis. I don't with Hogan - nobody'd have him. I'm glad someone else is having a naughty horse spell!

• Haha
Well perhaps I should retract my naughty horse comment. Went to bed feeling rotten, and woke up the same. I have reflux, pretty well controlled, but sometimes I eat or drink something, that just goes for me. Nauseous, tired etc. I wanted to ride, but was praying for a nice short relaxed one. Bless him - I don't know if he gives enough of a damn to look after me when I'm below par, or whether I was just lucky, but he was such a gent today. We passed a foal, quite close, and the horse down the lane out riding, and apart from a stop, and a huff and puff, he was super. Have taken my meds so hopefully this is just reflux, and will pass.Screenshot_20200527-120812_Gallery.jpg

Well perhaps I should retract my naughty horse comment. Went to bed feeling rotten, and woke up the same. I have reflux, pretty well controlled, but sometimes I eat or drink something, that just goes for me. Nauseous, tired etc. I wanted to ride, but was praying for a nice short relaxed one. Bless him - I don't know if he gives enough of a damn to look after me when I'm below par, or whether I was just lucky, but he was such a gent today. We passed a foal, quite close, and the horse down the lane out riding, and apart from a stop, and a huff and puff, he was super. Have taken my meds so hopefully this is just reflux, and will pass.View attachment 102563

HOpe you are feeling better soon.

Aw hope you get better. Role reversal then today, i had the arsy horse, this morning. Billy decided he wanted to rush the polework. He kept cutting in on the bend and tripping poles. As he was rushing he then slipped on several occasions. Felt lazy going over them, hence tripping and even tried jumping them instead of going over smoothly. The last few pole sessions have been fab. I felt like we suddenly made progress. When it came time to leave the bottom field and ride up he started bit chomping and back legs got more elevated. Trying to trot and canter. Im afraid i just took him back to the poles and walked him round again, then left the field, each time he got forward i turned him and took him back to the poles. He slowly got the picture that leaving the field does not equal canter back up. I must have taken him back there 6 times.

Then in the yard brother walked round with a knapsack sprayer on his back doing a bit of sprsying. The sod took exception to that and the noise of the spray. Nearly flatten me. Then i had to walk past him to take the horses back to the field he spooked again and tried running through me. Get into the field and he freaked at some kids talking up on the hill. He couldnt even see them. He almost sent me flying.

Took chunky for a drive and needed to check i was still alive after. He was an absolute saint it was the motorists. So much traffic on the road today. Just because its says 40mph doesnt mean you have to do it though. Slow down when you see a horse.
The absolute idiot that took the biscuit was the car driver. Two cyclists coming towards me just about to pass on the other side of the road. The car driver comes flying up behind them and just pulls out to overtake the two cyclists. I actually thought he was going to hit chunky head on. He squeezed between us and the cyclists. I put my hands up in despair and shout idiot. One of the cyclist shouted back. I agree. How he got betwwen us all at the speed he was doing i just dont know.

• Wow
Reactions: GaryB and Huggy
Aw hope you get better. Role reversal then today, i had the arsy horse, this morning. Billy decided he wanted to rush the polework. He kept cutting in on the bend and tripping poles. As he was rushing he then slipped on several occasions. Felt lazy going over them, hence tripping and even tried jumping them instead of going over smoothly. The last few pole sessions have been fab. I felt like we suddenly made progress. When it came time to leave the bottom field and ride up he started bit chomping and back legs got more elevated. Trying to trot and canter. Im afraid i just took him back to the poles and walked him round again, then left the field, each time he got forward i turned him and took him back to the poles. He slowly got the picture that leaving the field does not equal canter back up. I must have taken him back there 6 times.

Then in the yard brother walked round with a knapsack sprayer on his back doing a bit of sprsying. The sod took exception to that and the noise of the spray. Nearly flatten me. Then i had to walk past him to take the horses back to the field he spooked again and tried running through me. Get into the field and he freaked at some kids talking up on the hill. He couldnt even see them. He almost sent me flying.

Took chunky for a drive and needed to check i was still alive after. He was an absolute saint it was the motorists. So much traffic on the road today. Just because its says 40mph doesnt mean you have to do it though. Slow down when you see a horse.
The absolute idiot that took the biscuit was the car driver. Two cyclists coming towards me just about to pass on the other side of the road. The car driver comes flying up behind them and just pulls out to overtake the two cyclists. I actually thought he was going to hit chunky head on. He squeezed between us and the cyclists. I put my hands up in despair and shout idiot. One of the cyclist shouted back. I agree. How he got betwwen us all at the speed he was doing i just dont know.
It's exactly when you think you're making progress, that they whip the rug from under you! Little booger.

Definitely getting busier in the forest, but in a way it's nice. I like chatting with dog walkers etc. Very warm even at 8 am today. Hogan is VERY fat! They're on a new bit of grass, so he's pigging out. Just as well - I was found along a track, heard voices, and knew it wasn't walkers. Sure enough, two riders thundered round the bend behind us, though did slow when they saw us. I turned off, and they trotted then cantered away. All in all Hogan was so good - he stopped fit a moment, then with a bit of head tossing walked on. I met a lady and her dog as I went home, and she said the riders hadn't slowed for her at all. Bit naughty.

Definitely getting busier in the forest, but in a way it's nice. I like chatting with dog walkers etc. Very warm even at 8 am today. Hogan is VERY fat! They're on a new bit of grass, so he's pigging out. Just as well - I was found along a track, heard voices, and knew it wasn't walkers. Sure enough, two riders thundered round the bend behind us, though did slow when they saw us. I turned off, and they trotted then cantered away. All in all Hogan was so good - he stopped fit a moment, then with a bit of head tossing walked on. I met a lady and her dog as I went home, and she said the riders hadn't slowed for her at all. Bit naughty.

That's a bit off of those riders. Hogan sounds like he's good though - not sure what Zi would have made of that.

Reactions: Huggy
A few to ctach up on.
Wednesday was schooling after work It was still roasting hot (24c) at 6:30pm so we just did a few grids.

On Friday we had a trip out. A local racehorse trainer had advertised their gallops for hire so we went for a play. The gallops were a mile round teardeop shape with a carpet surface. I managed (with some difficulty) to get Harvey to walk and trot as far as the straight towards home and then (again with some difficulty) managed a fast canter. We then went round again and I let him do his thing which unsurprisingly turned out to be flat out gallop. We had a couple more goes and Harvey was still raring to go but I opted to stay in the cautious side as he isn't mega fit.

Saturday was a hack with Harvey again trying every naughty move in the book including backing round the car park while I tried to adjust my girth. He is on borrowed time now - I'm going to work on him for a couple more months and if he doesn't improve my RI is going to help me find something that matches my needs better (it probably goes without saying there is more behind this than a couple of incidents)

Sunday was my first post (total) lockdon lesson. This was a 1 to 1 as the rules didn't until today allow more. it was very hot (again). We worked at about 80cm mostly on canter rhythm - Harvey always trys to rush and sems to have got worse after a layoff)

Galloping videos (why does it always look so slow on the video? :(

Gallops 1

Gallops 2

Hacking
6 miles
1 hour 30

Schooling
1 hour

Totals
Schooling
14 hours 55

Hacking
23 hours 50
84.1 miles

Reactions: Trewsers and Huggy
A few to ctach up on.
Wednesday was schooling after work It was still roasting hot (24c) at 6:30pm so we just did a few grids.

On Friday we had a trip out. A local racehorse trainer had advertised their gallops for hire so we went for a play. The gallops were a mile round teardeop shape with a carpet surface. I managed (with some difficulty) to get Harvey to walk and trot as far as the straight towards home and then (again with some difficulty) managed a fast canter. We then went round again and I let him do his thing which unsurprisingly turned out to be flat out gallop. We had a couple more goes and Harvey was still raring to go but I opted to stay in the cautious side as he isn't mega fit.

Saturday was a hack with Harvey again trying every naughty move in the book including backing round the car park while I tried to adjust my girth. He is on borrowed time now - I'm going to work on him for a couple more months and if he doesn't improve my RI is going to help me find something that matches my needs better (it probably goes without saying there is more behind this than a couple of incidents)

Sunday was my first post (total) lockdon lesson. This was a 1 to 1 as the rules didn't until today allow more. it was very hot (again). We worked at about 80cm mostly on canter rhythm - Harvey always trys to rush and sems to have got worse after a layoff)

Gallops 1

Gallops 2

Hacking
6 miles
1 hour 30

Schooling
1 hour

Totals
Schooling
14 hours 55

Hacking
23 hours 50
84.1 miles
Erm....that doesn't look slow to me! No sir, not at all!

A few to ctach up on.

Gallops 1

Gallops 2

Hacking
6 miles
1 hour 30

Schooling
1 hour

Totals
Schooling
14 hours 55

Hacking
23 hours 50
84.1 miles

That didn’t look slow!!!

SO hot first thing! Also, the crab flies are out in force now, damnable things. Just got on Hogan in the forest, when a familiar voice called "I'm filming you!" - OH, walking the dog. He's got me clambering on in my usual undignified muddle, so no-one gets to see THAT. However, at last I have a pic - poor quality, lousy posture, and legs gripping up, still sorting myself out - but it's a pic! Lovely ride, though H was a bit iffy with the flies. Will have to work him harder, to get rid of the massive tummy!Screenshot_20200602-110217_Gallery.jpg

SO hot first thing! Also, the crab flies are out in force now, damnable things. Just got on Hogan in the forest, when a familiar voice called "I'm filming you!" - OH, walking the dog. He's got me clambering on in my usual undignified muddle, so no-one gets to see THAT. However, at last I have a pic - poor quality, lousy posture, and legs gripping up, still sorting myself out - but it's a pic! Lovely ride, though H was a bit iffy with the flies. Will have to work him harder, to get rid of the massive tummy!View attachment 102624

Crabflies sound dreadful!
I don't believe in the undignified muddle - bet you just hopped on;)

• Haha
Reactions: Huggy
newrider.com