2020 Hacking & Riding Thread

Nice and cool this morning, and very windy. Had a good ride, though Hogan was hard work. Until we met a mare and foal. Very sparky little chestnut foal she was as well. Decided to follow us, which threw Hogan completely. He'd gone past really quite well, but then it became a game of statues. He'd walk, she'd walk behind, he'd stop, she'd stop, and so on for about 20 feet. Mum paying no attention whatsoever. Eventually, Hogan swishes his tail, and the foal shoots back to mum. I hate it when the foals get brave and leave mum's side - they shoot out into the road, and it's just when the roads are getting busy. Anyway, no big disaster today, and we've now had first contact with a foal, and come out the other side!

Reactions: GaryB and Trewsers
Nice and cool this morning, and very windy. Had a good ride, though Hogan was hard work. Until we met a mare and foal. Very sparky little chestnut foal she was as well. Decided to follow us, which threw Hogan completely. He'd gone past really quite well, but then it became a game of statues. He'd walk, she'd walk behind, he'd stop, she'd stop, and so on for about 20 feet. Mum paying no attention whatsoever. Eventually, Hogan swishes his tail, and the foal shoots back to mum. I hate it when the foals get brave and leave mum's side - they shoot out into the road, and it's just when the roads are getting busy. Anyway, no big disaster today, and we've now had first contact with a foal, and come out the other side!

Hogan sounds so good!! Like you say that’s a shame if they go into the road.

Reactions: Huggy
It was supposed to be my riding camp starting on Thursday night, but it was of course cancelled. It still meant that Harvey had extra work though. Friday was hot so I rode earlier than usual. I went on one of my longer hacks but then I also found that the fence ws broken so I could go though it onto the hill. I rode to the top and grabbed a couple of pics for the forum, but then Harvey suddenly decided to start reversing and I couldn't stop him. After a frantic check I realised he had his martingale in his mouth so I had to jump off and sort it out. I don't generally get off as Harvey is a pain about letting me get back on (we have started to work on this at home). My options to remount were a trig point, a broken bench, or a fence that was in a hedge so I just had to use the geography and found a place when I could get a bit higher than him. Fortunately I managed it on the second go. Then on the way back Harvey saw some horses ahead and had a tantrum when I wouldn't let him trot to catch them. It was 27c when I got back to the yard and we were both a bit sweaty!

Saturday was a shorter hack on a very blustery day (in fact if I had realised how bad it was I wouldn't have gone) - Harvey was spooky but not too bad

Sunday was a quick schooling session still chasing that elusive left bend (and getting there slowly)

Monday was my first trip to the Wyre Forest since lockdown. I was planning to ride the green and pink riding routes but somehow got lost and rode the green and purple which could be why my satnav didn't natch the paper map. We had fun for 8 miles and 2 hours though. I was also busting for the loo so was forced to jump off half way - I got back on again on the second go (as this was planned I had stopped by a handy tree truck) so maybe we are both getting the hang of it!

At the top of the hill on Friday (about to go backwards!)
IMG_1841-X2.jpg

IMG_1842-X2.jpg

Schooling
20 minutes

Hacking
20.5 miles
5 hours

Totals
Schooling
18 hours 20

Hacking
32 hours 15
116.6 miles

Reactions: Huggy and Trewsers
It was supposed to be my riding camp starting on Thursday night, but it was of course cancelled. It still meant that Harvey had extra work though. Friday was hot so I rode earlier than usual. I went on one of my longer hacks but then I also found that the fence ws broken so I could go though it onto the hill. I rode to the top and grabbed a couple of pics for the forum, but then Harvey suddenly decided to start reversing and I couldn't stop him. After a frantic check I realised he had his martingale in his mouth so I had to jump off and sort it out. I don't generally get off as Harvey is a pain about letting me get back on (we have started to work on this at home). My options to remount were a trig point, a broken bench, or a fence that was in a hedge so I just had to use the geography and found a place when I could get a bit higher than him. Fortunately I managed it on the second go. Then on the way back Harvey saw some horses ahead and had a tantrum when I wouldn't let him trot to catch them. It was 27c when I got back to the yard and we were both a bit sweaty!

Saturday was a shorter hack on a very blustery day (in fact if I had realised how bad it was I wouldn't have gone) - Harvey was spooky but not too bad

Sunday was a quick schooling session still chasing that elusive left bend (and getting there slowly)

Monday was my first trip to the Wyre Forest since lockdown. I was planning to ride the green and pink riding routes but somehow got lost and rode the green and purple which could be why my satnav didn't natch the paper map. We had fun for 8 miles and 2 hours though. I was also busting for the loo so was forced to jump off half way - I got back on again on the second go (as this was planned I had stopped by a handy tree truck) so maybe we are both getting the hang of it!

At the top of the hill on Friday (about to go backwards!)
IMG_1841-X2.jpg

IMG_1842-X2.jpg

Schooling
20 minutes

Hacking
20.5 miles
5 hours

Totals
Schooling
18 hours 20

Hacking
32 hours 15
116.6 miles

Gosh he's quite a character isn't he? The going backwards used to worry me, J used to do it with OH when he didn't want to do something! You're brave - Harvey is just not easy at all, yet you do so much together.

Gosh he's quite a character isn't he? The going backwards used to worry me, J used to do it with OH when he didn't want to do something! You're brave - Harvey is just not easy at all, yet you do so much together.
To be fair the backing was only because he had got his martingale tangled - he can be a handfull though....

Went out gingerly this morning, having had a couple of bad days (and nights!) with my tum. Hogan was good, though slow - again, but I just didn't have the energy to get after him today. Still managed some nice long trots, though he got snarky about it towards the end - seemed to think he'd done enough! I'm enjoying the fact that I generally can take the pace I want with him, he never gets uppity because we're going slow, which was a real bonus today! Ramsey did used to get bored if we didn't trot and canter quite a bit, and that led to spooking for the fun of it - I was younger and fitter then!
I've just realised I have had Hogan for 2 years on 27th June! Pic of a very unperturbed Hogan on arrival!Screenshot_20200702-122250_Gallery.jpg

I'm glad he's lost weight, but devastated at the damage the lice did to his mane. Still, I suppose he's still got more than most

Reactions: Trewsers
Had one of those rides tonight that you just want to forget about. Billy was unsettled in the field, i moved the fence to give them a strip of grass to eat and he was just rushing to where ever i went instead of just putting his head down to eat the strip. I wanted to change the end bit of the fence to give them the complete wood and create a track round the edge of it. Billy was watching intently. The minute the fence was down he was there like a shot. Oh we havent been in here lets go explore the track. Fortunately i got the fence up enough before he realised. If i hadnt hed have been in the hay field.
Then chunky was on one 30 metres outside the front gate. I let him go to follow me and billy, oh no, i think I'll just stick my head down on the grass verge. So i yelled at him, he took no notice so i had to turn billy around and go back to usher chunky on, who thought sod that I'll go stand by the garden gate. I could feel my stress levels rise. As he was plonking himself in such a way i couldnt get to his lead rope, so a bit of getting cross with chunky, wound billy up. Eventually got hold of chunky, he starts lagging behind and im getting twisted in the saddle trying to lead him with him right up billys bottom. Get up the steep track, chunky just stops and plants several times. So i get whip lash effect at the waist, my arm nearly pulled out the socket. Nearly pulled out the saddle backwards. Not what you want going up a steep stoney incline.

Get onto the top of the hill on the flat bit, i normally drop lead over chunkys neck so he can just follow and have a little trot if he wants and i trot, or canter on billy. Look behind chunky had stopped half way. Then i realise hes got the lead off his neck and was stood on the end. So i go back with billy. Get him off it and secure it round his neck better. Tell him to walk on. Circle billy back the right direction and start to trot on. Look behind and chunky had just stopped and stood again. No lead caught this time, just stopping because. So i circle billy and go back to him, swing billy around, and tell chunky to get on with a bit of ranting and a tap on the bum with the whip. So chunky got stroppy and trotted on in disgust. Across the top theres a couple of very low trees and you really have to duck. Billy is getting strong as he is also miffed at my ranting. So chunky didnt slow down to go under neither did billy. Barely get the other side and sit back up and billy wants canter. So i let him go. He gets past chunky, few nice strides of canter, then tosses his head side ways and down. Back legs either out the back or sideways. I really dont know but it felt very uncoordinated. Im trying to get the head off the floor. The head goes the other way. I feel like im about to go out the side door. Shout at billy to stop being a twat giving him some verbal. Somehow we regain composure as chunky goes past us in a canter. Billy realises hes left behind so wants a canter again. By this time im actually shaking, that automatic nervous body shake you get when your body goes into shock. 20 metres of canter then chunky goes back to walk and so does billy as we are now the other end of the hill. Calm restored. Get hold of chunky again. We get to the gate to go through, billy goes through. Chunky following, then he just stops dead. Billys still going forwards so i get whip lashed at the waist again. So i have no choice but to drop the lead rope or im out the back end of billy. Have to turn billy around, by this time the gates closed on chunky. So im one side hes the other. He then decides to start backing up. I managed to grab the end of the lead just before it disappeared over the closed gate. I get chunky through and then he decides hes just going to hang back behind billys bottom for the rest of the ride down the farm track. Which ment i was twisting again in the saddle. Then billy starts having a hissy fit kicking out his back leg, then banging it on the floor. He keeps stopping every 10 metres or so to bang some more. Wonder if a horsefly is attached to him somewhere. Got to the road and we all seemed to calm down. Then billy starts leg kicking and banging again. I stop he turns his head lifts his back leg and has a little nibble. I thinking great billys stood bent round on 3 legs and im sat on top. After his nibble he seemed to settle.
We are almost home. Ive let chunky go for the last bit of the hack home. Have a final little canter along the track up the rise with billy. They know to walk at the end, so billy does. I look behind and bugger me, chunky has stopped for a snack. Normally he will trot or canter too but no hes stopped. So then i have to go back with billy to get him. I really am at my tether now for him doing that. I just try to think breath carry on.
Its comical really but i just got really rialled by it all tonight.

Had one of those rides tonight that you just want to forget about. Billy was unsettled in the field, i moved the fence to give them a strip of grass to eat and he was just rushing to where ever i went instead of just putting his head down to eat the strip. I wanted to change the end bit of the fence to give them the complete wood and create a track round the edge of it. Billy was watching intently. The minute the fence was down he was there like a shot. Oh we havent been in here lets go explore the track. Fortunately i got the fence up enough before he realised. If i hadnt hed have been in the hay field.
Then chunky was on one 30 metres outside the front gate. I let him go to follow me and billy, oh no, i think I'll just stick my head down on the grass verge. So i yelled at him, he took no notice so i had to turn billy around and go back to usher chunky on, who thought sod that I'll go stand by the garden gate. I could feel my stress levels rise. As he was plonking himself in such a way i couldnt get to his lead rope, so a bit of getting cross with chunky, wound billy up. Eventually got hold of chunky, he starts lagging behind and im getting twisted in the saddle trying to lead him with him right up billys bottom. Get up the steep track, chunky just stops and plants several times. So i get whip lash effect at the waist, my arm nearly pulled out the socket. Nearly pulled out the saddle backwards. Not what you want going up a steep stoney incline.

Get onto the top of the hill on the flat bit, i normally drop lead over chunkys neck so he can just follow and have a little trot if he wants and i trot, or canter on billy. Look behind chunky had stopped half way. Then i realise hes got the lead off his neck and was stood on the end. So i go back with billy. Get him off it and secure it round his neck better. Tell him to walk on. Circle billy back the right direction and start to trot on. Look behind and chunky had just stopped and stood again. No lead caught this time, just stopping because. So i circle billy and go back to him, swing billy around, and tell chunky to get on with a bit of ranting and a tap on the bum with the whip. So chunky got stroppy and trotted on in disgust. Across the top theres a couple of very low trees and you really have to duck. Billy is getting strong as he is also miffed at my ranting. So chunky didnt slow down to go under neither did billy. Barely get the other side and sit back up and billy wants canter. So i let him go. He gets past chunky, few nice strides of canter, then tosses his head side ways and down. Back legs either out the back or sideways. I really dont know but it felt very uncoordinated. Im trying to get the head off the floor. The head goes the other way. I feel like im about to go out the side door. Shout at billy to stop being a twat giving him some verbal. Somehow we regain composure as chunky goes past us in a canter. Billy realises hes left behind so wants a canter again. By this time im actually shaking, that automatic nervous body shake you get when your body goes into shock. 20 metres of canter then chunky goes back to walk and so does billy as we are now the other end of the hill. Calm restored. Get hold of chunky again. We get to the gate to go through, billy goes through. Chunky following, then he just stops dead. Billys still going forwards so i get whip lashed at the waist again. So i have no choice but to drop the lead rope or im out the back end of billy. Have to turn billy around, by this time the gates closed on chunky. So im one side hes the other. He then decides to start backing up. I managed to grab the end of the lead just before it disappeared over the closed gate. I get chunky through and then he decides hes just going to hang back behind billys bottom for the rest of the ride down the farm track. Which ment i was twisting again in the saddle. Then billy starts having a hissy fit kicking out his back leg, then banging it on the floor. He keeps stopping every 10 metres or so to bang some more. Wonder if a horsefly is attached to him somewhere. Got to the road and we all seemed to calm down. Then billy starts leg kicking and banging again. I stop he turns his head lifts his back leg and has a little nibble. I thinking great billys stood bent round on 3 legs and im sat on top. After his nibble he seemed to settle.
We are almost home. Ive let chunky go for the last bit of the hack home. Have a final little canter along the track up the rise with billy. They know to walk at the end, so billy does. I look behind and bugger me, chunky has stopped for a snack. Normally he will trot or canter too but no hes stopped. So then i have to go back with billy to get him. I really am at my tether now for him doing that. I just try to think breath carry on.

That sounded exhausting!!!

Guaranteed you'll remember this ride before remembering the good ones - the bad ones always linger longer with me. I think you're owed at least 2 really nice ones for that one!

Quite sharp and chilly in spite of the sun. Hogan was very perky and forward on the way out, and then slowed down when we turned for home - really?? I'll give him his due though, we passed the mares and foals, and apart from a look at them, really didn't seem that bothered. He seems to be the sort that once he's seen something, and been cajoled past it, it doesn't bother him - unless it's a bag of builder's rubble - it's been there for 6 months and he still prances past it like it's got fangs. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Trewsers
It was well windy here yesterday so i decided not to ride and lead. So i took the boys out seperately. Billy for a four mile ride, then chunky for a three mile drive. Made Billy step all the laid out logs at a walk on the way out. Then got to the road and turned the corner and Billy became excited. We let some cyclists go in front of us up the mini hill. So they pedalled slow struggling up the hill. Thought billy might chill. No he was bouncing about behind. Think they were a bit worried. They said do you want to go past, i said no you are my brakes. We'll go past on the grass verge when ready. Im not supposed to ride on there and generally i dont anymore, but i felt billy was in need of a blow out. I really didnt fancy a mile of road work in silly mode. Hes been getting silly in the field this week and i think its because hes not getting the enjoyment factor when i ride and lead chunky. (Daft bugger throws his head puts in a few trot steps and lets out a squeal.) Even when i let chunky go and we have a trot, sometimes they need to just let it all go. So yesterday i thought im gonna let billy canter on the edge of the field. At least if he gets naughty or spooks i know theres some cyclists coming along behind who might find me if i get throw. So i warned the cyclists i was going past, went onto the grass and my word did billy fly. I had my sunglasses on but it was still making my eyes water. I was practically squinting the whole way. We got to the end of the canter and he was doing that clearing nostrils thing. Like he really did enjoy himself. Got him back on the road and he decided to bounce for anotger half mile. Till we got to the walk down the hill and he started to chill out.
Considering in the field last week i was questioning his fitness or whether his lameness niggle had returned. Well hes taking me for a fool.

I had the day off on Thursday to go on an escorted ride with the bridleways group. It was a nice ride but Harvey was exasperatingly silly - he jogged for the first 5 miles, wouldn't stand still when we stopped, and had a paddy every time the horses ahead went out of sight round a corner (even though we were side by side with another horse)

On Saturday I decided to venture out solo onto the long bridleway - I've never been on my own before as it has gates which I have problems with. I can't open then from the horse as Harvey always, whatever I do tries to rub on them so I have to get off, and Harvey is a pain to get back on. I managed the first gate without a problem using a bank to remount. Harvey then decided he didn't want to go any further so it was pony club kicking all the way the next gate. It then took me 5 goes to get back on plus a further kicking session before he gave in and walked on. Then of course once we were halfway he "stomped" all of the way home.

On Sunday I had run out of motivation so we just rode for 10 minutes in the school.

I'm 90% sure I'm going to sell him now - he's just too anxious on his own to ever do what I want him to. YO is certain she can sort him out but I can't really see how. The horse market is way overpriced ATM and the best fit for what I want is a hunter so we will see what happens between now and the Autumn.....

The end of the escorted ride - Harvey completely lathered and tired from all his silliness (this photo is already in the public domain so it is fine to post here)
IMG_1599-X2.jpg

Hacking
17 miles
4 hours 40

Schooling
10 minutes

Totals
Schooling
18 hours 30

Hacking
37 hours 5
133.6 miles

@GaryB sorry things aren't going too well with Harvey - you seem to do such a lot, you can't say you haven't tried! I hope something that's a better fit comes your way and that Harvey can find something he likes to do. Do you think he'd be suited to a different lifestyle? Or is it just the two of you aren't really clicking?

Yes, a shame, but if you're not enjoying each other, then you're making the right decision for you both. As has been said already, you've done all you can. He's a lovely lad, I'm sure he'll be treasured wherever he goes, and you can find "the" one somewhere out there.

@GaryB sorry things aren't going too well with Harvey - you seem to do such a lot, you can't say you haven't tried! I hope something that's a better fit comes your way and that Harvey can find something he likes to do. Do you think he'd be suited to a different lifestyle? Or is it just the two of you aren't really clicking?

I think the real issue is that he just doesn't like hacking. He is ok sometimes when in a group, but on his own he is always anxious. He's happy to go to clinics including on his own so I think he will make somebody a nice jumping horse. YO thinks he will probably jump 130cm. As I comparison I took out the yard veteran out on his own the other day - he hasn't been out on his own for years and he loved it - ears pricked all of the way.

Yes, a shame, but if you're not enjoying each other, then you're making the right decision for you both. As has been said already, you've done all you can. He's a lovely lad, I'm sure he'll be treasured wherever he goes, and you can find "the" one somewhere out there.

I really would rather not lose him, but on the other hand I can't do most of the things I want to do at the moment while seeing friends on FB going out and having fun with their horses.

A very early, very quick hack out yesterday morning - gone from a nearly free week to having granddaughter for 2 days - the toilet drain at school collapsed, so they're off til next week. Also have mini grandson for a half day - luckily they all love the yard! Hogan was great though, in fact I don't think he wanted to turn for home quite so soon!

I'm not riding atm - but I thought it was time to start doing a bit of something in hand with Zi again. He's getting porky and fed up. He misses his job I am sure about that. So today tacked him up (just in case he got any ideas about rolling in the sandschool!) and did a bit of in hand stuff. Only basic moves, lots of large circles, figures of eight and walked him over the planks in there. The flies were awful, so we didn't do much for very long but his ears were pricked and he didn't object to his tack being plonked on. I had a fear he might tell me where to go when I presented him with his tack but no, he was fine. Ears pricked up immediately and eyes lit up. Bless him, I really must try a bit harder - for his weight's sake and for his mind too. He's way off retirement age at 15!!!

Reactions: Huggy and GaryB
newrider.com