2020 Hacking & Riding Thread

I'm not riding atm - but I thought it was time to start doing a bit of something in hand with Zi again. He's getting porky and fed up. He misses his job I am sure about that. So today tacked him up (just in case he got any ideas about rolling in the sandschool!) and did a bit of in hand stuff. Only basic moves, lots of large circles, figures of eight and walked him over the planks in there. The flies were awful, so we didn't do much for very long but his ears were pricked and he didn't object to his tack being plonked on. I had a fear he might tell me where to go when I presented him with his tack but no, he was fine. Ears pricked up immediately and eyes lit up. Bless him, I really must try a bit harder - for his weight's sake and for his mind too. He's way off retirement age at 15!!!
Funny how some horses just don't enjoy not working. YO's horse took to retirement like a duck to water, Ramsey got depressed - I led him out for as long as I could, but eventually even that was too much. Sounds like Zi is like that.

Reactions: Trewsers
Funny how some horses just don't enjoy not working. YO's horse took to retirement like a duck to water, Ramsey got depressed - I led him out for as long as I could, but eventually even that was too much. Sounds like Zi is like that.

He was never meant to be retired, just with the covid thing and him being OH's horse - and he's not riding - we weighed up the risk and as he's got asthma and other health issues, we thought it best to avoid a & e! Not that he plans on having anything dramatic go wrong whilst riding but you never know. So we just sort of put it all on hold. Zi's a lovely boy - he came to us three years ago, he's extremely laid back for a warmblood - and considering he'd been doing lots and lots of work and out competing he's really been so good. I just wish I hadn't had the fall on Christmas day that dented my already rubbish confidence. And then the virus. Oh well, in hand work is a start..........................

Reactions: GaryB and Huggy
Forgot to say - @Huggy that's a shame Ramsey got depressed. My two girls don't care a jot about being retired. Lol food is Storm's main occupation! If she hadn't had the tendon issue I'd still be riding her, she's only 24. Chloe came to us as a companion - when our tb died. Her "job" is to put up with Storm lol

• Haha
Reactions: Huggy
He was never meant to be retired, just with the covid thing and him being OH's horse - and he's not riding - we weighed up the risk and as he's got asthma and other health issues, we thought it best to avoid a & e! Not that he plans on having anything dramatic go wrong whilst riding but you never know. So we just sort of put it all on hold. Zi's a lovely boy - he came to us three years ago, he's extremely laid back for a warmblood - and considering he'd been doing lots and lots of work and out competing he's really been so good. I just wish I hadn't had the fall on Christmas day that dented my already rubbish confidence. And then the virus. Oh well, in hand work is a start..........................
It is indeed. He'll be enjoying it by the sound of it.

Hogan gets snarky if he's left more than a few days - I think he maybe thinks he's back to being a field ornament. He's 14 now, I wanted something not too young, thinking I had at least (!) 10 more years riding in me, and we'd both retire about the same time.

Reactions: GaryB and Trewsers
Just been and looked over the bank into the field and billys doing his silly squeals at me, running up the field with spring in his step. He is waiting for tea but will hve to wait a bit longer as its just started raining again. Hes had two days off and is clearly miffed at not going out. Doesnt care that they got moved onto this field 3 days ago and has plenty to eat, no. He wants out to exercise. Chunky just stood looking at me, no enthusiasm there.

Well another in hand play and tack up today with Mr Zi. He was a bit cheekier lol And when presented with his bridle tried to eat the reins. Ha. Such a joker. But anyway he did some nice brisk large runs of the school in hand, figures of eight again over some wood we had laid out and lots of stops and starts to check he's listening - and it was breezier today too. Flies weren't quite so bad in the arena for some reason. And both mr t and me had different turns with him, so we both got a work out - it's surprising how much ground those long ginger legs cover!!!! All in all he looked pleased and I think he's going to like his new routine if we can keep it up.

Reactions: Huggy and GaryB
Lovely morning - sunny, but not too hot. Going further afield these days, and Hogan seems quite happy to do so. So very pleased with him today - a new group of ponies in the inclosure today, most of whom looked like yearlings. We had to go through them, and something spooked them, sending them off in all directions. Hogan was so darned good - walked on beautifully, despite it all. We met up with the usual group of layabout ponies, and he's completely over them now. Lots of trotting, cannot fault him one bit. Even behaved for the farrier - not a guy for compliments - but he said what a great boy he's turning into. I'm sure he'll burst my bubble soon enough, but for now I'm jolly pleased with him.

Reactions: Trewsers and GaryB
Well i decided on an early hack. Ive had a workout as well curtious of Billy. I set off at 6.45am and didnt get back till almost 9am.
I decided to go explore and did i route i have only ever done once with chunky in 14 years. So it was only my second time down this loop. First 3 miles billy knew, then we turned off along this country lane which goes for a good mile, before you turn off at a cross roads. The road then twists and turns through woods and a stream one side, and steep fields and wooded glades the other side. I actually had my running app on tracking us. The first 3 miles we tracked at like 16min/mile pace. Got to mile 4 and billy was forward but chilled. Taking it all in. Suddenly we do 10min/mile pace. He hasnt a clue where he is. I only have a rough idea. The last time i rode it was like 6 years ago. I couldnt remember where you turn off the road for the bridleway back. It was actually well marked when we got to it thankfully. Billy couldnt care less. He spent the next 4 odd miles pulling my arms out the sockets. If i let him go he would just canter even on the road. So we jogged pretty much the next 4 miles. Havent checked yWe had one little blip at about 7 miles when i think the horses flies were biting. So having stamped his feet a couple of times as he walked along, he decided he would through in some bucks for good measure to get rid of. He finally chilled with 100 metres left to ride.

Honestly i really didnt think he had it in him.
The longest ride ive done in nearly a year is 6 miles. How i have manage nearly 9 i dont know. I might not be walking tomorrow.

Then i took chunky out for a 3 mile drive. My bottom was still feeling it from the ride, even sitting in the cart.

One of those good to be alive mornings. Beautiful sunshine, but a little nippy. We moved the fence yesterday, so of course Hogan is HUGE. Nevertheless, a lovely ride, and not another living soul out while we were out. He didn't so much walk, as lumber, but had more energy than I expected. Did a massive spook as I led him into the barn - walk to canter in 0 seconds. Amazed that he didn't flatten me!Screenshot_20200713-105038_Gallery.jpg

Another weekend to wear the brave pants. I decided to carry on with my campaign to be able to take Harvey hacking solo on routes that involve gates. On Saturday we had another successful trip onto the hill. Harvey was very slow but while he ws going forwards on his own I decided to let him. We successfully negotioated the 2 gates and even had a small canter. Minf yopu he was so slow I had to take a short cut on the way back!
On Sunday I decided I was going to get back to jumping 100cm so got myslef all psyched up. We started at 80cm and were just about to go up to 90cm when Harvey threw a front shoe so that was the end of that :(

Sorry - no pics this weekend :(

Hacking
2 hours 30
7.75 miles

Schooling
10 minutes

Totals
Schooling
18 hours 40

Hacking
39 hours 35
150.25 miles

Reactions: Trewsers and Huggy
Another weekend to wear the brave pants. I decided to carry on with my campaign to be able to take Harvey hacking solo on routes that involve gates. On Saturday we had another successful trip onto the hill. Harvey was very slow but while he ws going forwards on his own I decided to let him. We successfully negotioated the 2 gates and even had a small canter. Minf yopu he was so slow I had to take a short cut on the way back!
On Sunday I decided I was going to get back to jumping 100cm so got myslef all psyched up. We started at 80cm and were just about to go up to 90cm when Harvey threw a front shoe so that was the end of that :(

Hacking
2 hours 30
7.75 miles

Schooling
10 minutes

Totals
Schooling
18 hours 40

Hacking
39 hours 35
150.25 miles
Sounds like progress. If you think Harvey's slow, you ain't seen Hogan yet! You'd feel so much better.

Reactions: GaryB
One of those rides that throws everything at you. Big white cows, grazing, then big black cows lying down, then more big white cows, then new set of ponies with curious foal ?. Got round the inclosure without too much drama, despite all that, almost home, when a big truck comes up behind us, so I move over to the verge. As he'd slowed up for me, I turn to thank him and he revs up just as he's right beside us. I don't think he meant to be mean or anything, just didn't think. Realised once we got to the yard that I'd been tensing up at each incident, and Hogan had actually been really good.

• Wow
Reactions: GaryB and Trewsers
One of those rides that throws everything at you. Big white cows, grazing, then big black cows lying down, then more big white cows, then new set of ponies with curious foal ?. Got round the inclosure without too much drama, despite all that, almost home, when a big truck comes up behind us, so I move over to the verge. As he'd slowed up for me, I turn to thank him and he revs up just as he's right beside us. I don't think he meant to be mean or anything, just didn't think. Realised once we got to the yard that I'd been tensing up at each incident, and Hogan had actually been really good.

Sounds like he's earned a carrot or two! Good boy Hogan.

Reactions: Huggy

Hacking
2 hours 30
7.75 miles

Schooling
10 minutes

Totals
Schooling
18 hours 40

Hacking
39 hours 35
150.25 miles

Oh knickers to losing a shoe! Hope you get it sorted quickly.

Almost a week tomorrow since we started doing something every day with Zi! He's not put a hoof wrong and hasn't given us any hassle like I expected. I still think three months off is a lot. But he's been really good - despite the pansy effort he made yesterday in the rain lol
I'm not sure it's getting him fit but we are - those long legs of his cover ground fast, I am quite out of breath keeping up! But he's in work mode which is all we wanted really. And I'm pretty sure he's happy about it too.

• Love
Reactions: GaryB and Huggy
Almost a week tomorrow since we started doing something every day with Zi! He's not put a hoof wrong and hasn't given us any hassle like I expected. I still think three months off is a lot. But he's been really good - despite the pansy effort he made yesterday in the rain lol
I'm not sure it's getting him fit but we are - those long legs of his cover ground fast, I am quite out of breath keeping up! But he's in work mode which is all we wanted really. And I'm pretty sure he's happy about it too.
Sounds like you're all enjoying it - he's obviously one of those horses that didn't like doing nothing. What you need now is a chubby laid back cob, then you and Mr T can go out together when things go back to normal (if ever!)

Last night was getting back into jumping try number 2 (after loosing a show on Sunday). We started at 80cm, then moved to 90cm and finally once go at 100cm. This was all just jumping a single fence off both reins. Harvey went quite well but I struggled a bit to get a decent canter pace.

Video of 100cm

Totals
Schooling
19 hours

Hacking
39 hours 35
150.25 miles

Reactions: Trewsers and Huggy
newrider.com