2020 Hacking & Riding Thread

Lovely ride this morning. I had a great sleep, so was dopey when I got to the yard, (ie got him all ready, and realised bridle was stiĺl in car )and decided to have a chilled one. The forest was deserted, and it was bright but cool. Hogan was very perky, and much more forward than recently (new grass I think!) Screenshot_20200914-105325_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20200914-105336_Gallery.jpg

Another fun weekend. There were only 2 of us at the stables on Saturday so I hacked out with our groom (she isn't allowed to go on her own). By taking the short route I managed to take her riding the yard veteran up on to the hill to see the view.

Sunday was a local fun ride which I haven't been on before. A super day and there was an ice cream van. We were mostly sensible but a canter up a very large flat field did turn into a bit of a gallopy race :)

Finishing the fun ride
P9133316-X2.jpg

The Butch Cassidy gang?
P9133292-X2.jpg

Hacking
3.5 hours
14 miles

Totals
Schooling
32 hours

Hacking
60 hours 35
215.1 miles

Not riding this week as have painful infection. So we built a round pen out of tall electric fence posts and electric wire. It work great for excercising Summer Storm and Melody now. So here’s kelly playing with Stormy in the pen.

View attachment 103899View attachment 103900View attachment 103901View attachment 103902View attachment 103903View attachment 103904View attachment 103905View attachment 103899View attachment 103900View attachment 103901View attachment 103902View attachment 103903View attachment 103904View attachment 103905View attachment 103899
Get better quick. Lovely pics

Reactions: Native Lover
Very warm at 7.30 am! A good ride though, we're now going in all sorts of weird and wonderful different directions, often involving turning away from home. Today, as we headed away from the home track, to go farther, Hogan started backing up, so I okayed that, and back we went. He gave up after a few strides. Ramsey would have happily walked backwards the whole way home - it never worked on him! So - we're past tantrums over hills, cows, ponies and going unfamiliar routes. Just donkeys and cantering to conquer now!

Just checking I am in tact. Leading Hogan down the lane, and he goes from plod to gallop, straight past me and whips round in a panic. Nearly took my arm out it's socket. Behind us, a very apologetic runner. "He looks so docile, I never though he'd react like that!" Well, you know better now, mate. He was so sorry, all I could do was explain any horse, quiet or otherwise, that's surprised by something behind them, will flee. After he'd gone, I started laughing at my naivety - my first thought had been "Aw, he trusts me now, he didn't take off" when really, he just put me between him and the monster as a human sacrifice to give him time to escape. Otherwise, we had a reasonable hack, though he did keep an eye out for more scary runners.

Ouch, i felt that. Billy likes to do that sort of spook with me.

Finally got to ride today, first time since last Friday. Was a bit nervous. Decided not to ride and lead thinking Billy would be fresh. He actually went out a bit ploddy which was a bit of a surprise. I expected more enthusiasm. Its been hot though so maybe thats got something to do with it. He was a bit damp on the neck. He was his usual wanting to find things to spook at on the ride.

Chunky was actually wet on his rump from sweating when i brought him in. By the time i got back with billy it was to late to drive so he got a little in hand walk with the dog. We walked down the road so i could go check and feed the various groups of sheep. I did have some treats with me but no clicker. As we walked down the road he kept going to the telegraph poles and signs that i get him to touch when im doing clicker training. Ironically i didnt actually ask him to go touch, he just did it automatically. So i had to click with my tongue and give him a treat. Such an opportunity. Just a pity i was rushing to go check the sheep before dark. Its just so funny he associates an walk with touching his targets now. Such a good boy.

Quite crisp and bright this morning. Lovely - no flies. I extended the ride by doubling back along different paths and tracks. I suddenly looked and realised - autumn is close, the bracken is turning rapidly.Screenshot_20200918-131546_Gallery.jpg

Quite crisp and bright this morning. Lovely - no flies. I extended the ride by doubling back along different paths and tracks. I suddenly looked and realised - autumn is close, the bracken is turning rapidly.View attachment 103955

That looks lovely hacking, quite magical at this time of year (I love Autumn, specially where there are trees too!)

Well, funny start to the ride today. I brought Hogan in, and although he wasn't jumpy getting ready, he was on high alert in the stable - kept looking around, as though he'd heard something. Same walking down the lane, although he was quite calm when we got into the inclosure, despite there being cows and ponies. He was very good, though slow and reluctant to trot - I think the extra weight from better grass is making itself felt!

Another lovely cool morning. Hogan was a bit more willing today, so some lovely trots. OH was walking the dog, though I didn't see him, and when I got home, we chatted about ride/walk. After a bit, he said " I've just realised you haven't commented once on the fact there were dozens of cows and ponies." And he was right - they don't bother either of us anymore. My hi viz tabard arrived this afternoon - not a moment too soon. A lady walking her dog jumped out of her skin as I approached through the trees. She hadnt seen me until we were almost level.

Damp and grey this morning, but, woohoo, I have my new reflective tabard! Hogan was so good. The dreaded coos were back! On the track, in the bushes, in front, behind, right side, left side - everywhere! He behaved so well, even when on narrow tracks, with them 6 ft away, rustling in the bushes. I was aware, however, that he had taken his potential spook, and banked it, for later use. It was like riding a coiled spring, even when we were away from the damned coos, he was extremely tense. That being said, he didn't actually do anything, so no blots on his copy book!

newrider.com