2022 Hacking and Riding

Oops - forgot to update!
Friday - our yard groom S is going to train to be a coach so I was guinea pig :) We played with some fans of poles in trot and canter.

Saturday was a SJ clinic. Had a nightmare getting there arriving in the car park 2 minutes before we were due to start (bad traffic). We weren't too late in and had a nice time mostly jumping 100cm

Sunday was a nice hack round the short bridleway with A

Monday was a bank holiday. I had a quick ride in the school in the morning with S supervising. In the afternoon I was grooming for L at a SJ competition with YO also competing. L did well coming 7th with a DC. With the late start times we didn't get back to the yard until 7:30 so we all had a takeaway at the yard

Harvey decided he could help with poo picking
i-kdhFZ2C-XL.jpg

i-4pzVbJh-X2.jpg

i-jZqm6xm-X2.jpg

i-g3X6R9n-X2.jpg

On grooming duty :)
i-ZZfdMSh-X2.jpg

Schooling
1 hour 40

Hacking
4 miles
1 hour

Totals

Schooling
9 hours 50

Hacking
159.5 miles
46 hours 15
There is nothing like a horse's eye 😍

Went out today on a very chubby blown up cob who had been on the grass overnight. Did not make for a lively ride. However, I took him to the outside of the inclosure and we took the track up the hill on the outside edge, never been that way before and he was very good. If I feel brave I think we might venture farther, bit by bit and make life more interesting. In the second pic, he looked very handsome - until he moved as I clicked.Screenshot_20220507-215900_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220507-215919_Gallery.jpg

Went out today on a very chubby blown up cob who had been on the grass overnight. Did not make for a lively ride. However, I took him to the outside of the inclosure and we took the track up the hill on the outside edge, never been that way before and he was very good. If I feel brave I think we might venture farther, bit by bit and make life more interesting. In the second pic, he looked very handsome - until he moved as I clicked.View attachment 111676View attachment 111677
Aw just look at that muzzle lol lol

• Haha
Reactions: horseandgoatmom
It was so warm here last night I was actually out poo picking at 9pm in a tshirt. Think it was the warmest night of the year so far.

Not been reading this thread much. Got a bit despondent with not being able to ride. Not much to report, same old in hand walks really. Oh Chunky does have an new little rider. Been twice to have a little ride. Shes not as competent as his weekend rider but lighter so go for chunks in that respect. Just gets him out a little bit more.

Ive been walking Billy out at the weekend and Chunkys rider has been riding, but shes not been wanting to ride as far. Not sure why. I sent her off the other weekend to the cowslip field so she could have a canter, and I would take the shortcut and meet her at the top gate with Billy. Well that didnt quite go according to plan. Billy got separation anxiety as soon as chunky was out of site. Lots of calling and trying to dance and get away to go after him. When that didnt work he tried rearing on me numerous times. He got verbally reprimanded for that and when that didnt work he started lifting both the back legs off the ground to buck. I quickly grabbed a stick off the floor and threatened him with it. Dont think I actually used it on him but he knew I wasnt messing around. Every leg that came off the ground got a growl. Thankfully he calmed a bit and I just kepted walking him round in circles round me to avoid him getting any chance of pulling away. I can actually say that was one day that I felt I should have had a hat on. I really did not feel safe at all. I would actually have rather been sitting on him than stood on the ground.

Thankfully he hasnt tried any more silly antics. We did seperate them again this weekend so she could go have a little canter. Fortunately Billy kept his head for the most part. A few calls and I found a peice of grass to help occupy his brain whilst chunky went off out of site.

Up till last week I was too busy with lambing and was gettting very tired but over the weekend I elevated the work load so now im freed up try to get back to walking the boys out in hand more in the week. Might book some more hacks at the riding school. Missing having something to ride and now the weather is perfect for early morning hacks.

Out yesterday and today - Hogan in shock. He was good, but slow with his big grass tummy. I'm going to try really hard to get out more, in the hope that exercise will induce that elusive energy to sneak out and surprise me. (In a good way!) It was lovely and sunny yesterday, but drizzly today, which was actually quite nice. Got a picture of him at the gate yesterday - anyone would think he was eager to work! Screenshot_20220509-230732_Gallery.jpg

It was so warm here last night I was actually out poo picking at 9pm in a tshirt. Think it was the warmest night of the year so far.

Not been reading this thread much. Got a bit despondent with not being able to ride. Not much to report, same old in hand walks really. Oh Chunky does have an new little rider. Been twice to have a little ride. Shes not as competent as his weekend rider but lighter so go for chunks in that respect. Just gets him out a little bit more.

Ive been walking Billy out at the weekend and Chunkys rider has been riding, but shes not been wanting to ride as far. Not sure why. I sent her off the other weekend to the cowslip field so she could have a canter, and I would take the shortcut and meet her at the top gate with Billy. Well that didnt quite go according to plan. Billy got separation anxiety as soon as chunky was out of site. Lots of calling and trying to dance and get away to go after him. When that didnt work he tried rearing on me numerous times. He got verbally reprimanded for that and when that didnt work he started lifting both the back legs off the ground to buck. I quickly grabbed a stick off the floor and threatened him with it. Dont think I actually used it on him but he knew I wasnt messing around. Every leg that came off the ground got a growl. Thankfully he calmed a bit and I just kepted walking him round in circles round me to avoid him getting any chance of pulling away. I can actually say that was one day that I felt I should have had a hat on. I really did not feel safe at all. I would actually have rather been sitting on him than stood on the ground.

Thankfully he hasnt tried any more silly antics. We did seperate them again this weekend so she could go have a little canter. Fortunately Billy kept his head for the most part. A few calls and I found a peice of grass to help occupy his brain whilst chunky went off out of site.

Up till last week I was too busy with lambing and was gettting very tired but over the weekend I elevated the work load so now im freed up try to get back to walking the boys out in hand more in the week. Might book some more hacks at the riding school. Missing having something to ride and now the weather is perfect for early morning hacks.
What is this warmth you all speak of?!!!! Still in hats and coats here, down graded to heavy duty sweatshirt today though! That sounded eventful, and i know what you mean about the hat too!

I hacked and the forecast rain did not appear. Ella was energetic and easy to ride. She can be a plod and hard work, but not today which was a good thing as I didnt feel great. I rode mostly in walk and went home after 45 minutes. So not altogether a celebration of horsmanship. I dont think I can have caught Covid so may be old age is catching up with me. I should have curled up in bed with a book.

I'm so slow at updating.
Friday was another polework session with my aspiring coach S.

We still can't quite believe that our local bridleway can be cantered. We have been making full use of it and S and I did so on Saturday

Sunday was my first fun ride in forever (I think 18 months). Being able to go on fun rides was the main reason I got my own horse, but Harvey not going on his own has made it difficult for me. I was accompanied by L on her first fun rise since she was tiny, and the first for her horse. We had a great time, the horses were well behaved and I even did some tiny jumps as well as lots of cantering. Sadly the official photos were spoiled by Harvey pulling faces!

Parking field was a bit wonky!
i-WhvzWk7-X2.jpg

Nearly back
i-mBtzbLp-X2.jpg
i-k6pRm9F-X2.jpg

An apple for Harvey

Schooling
30 minutes

hacking
3 hours
12 miles

Totals

Schooling
10 hours 20

Hacking
171.5 miles
49 hours 15

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Huggy and Trewsers
I'm so slow at updating.
Friday was another polework session with my aspiring coach S.

We still can't quite believe that our local bridleway can be cantered. We have been making full use of it and S and I did so on Saturday

Sunday was my first fun ride in forever (I think 18 months). Being able to go on fun rides was the main reason I got my own horse, but Harvey not going on his own has made it difficult for me. I was accompanied by L on her first fun rise since she was tiny, and the first for her horse. We had a great time, the horses were well behaved and I even did some tiny jumps as well as lots of cantering. Sadly the official photos were spoiled by Harvey pulling faces!

Parking field was a bit wonky!
i-WhvzWk7-X2.jpg

Nearly back
i-mBtzbLp-X2.jpg
i-k6pRm9F-X2.jpg

An apple for Harvey

Schooling
30 minutes

hacking
3 hours
12 miles

Totals

Schooling
10 hours 20

Hacking
171.5 miles
49 hours 15
Oh how lovely does that look, that second pic is super. How green and blossoming it all is down there. Looks like a wonderful place to ride.

newrider.com