2024 Hacking Thread

First walk out for the year. 😁
That rare yellow orb was out, I nearly took a photo of it. It looks nice with the white clouds.

She had a good roll when I got back. Always nice to see.

collage-1704470245911.jpg

• Love
Reactions: GaryB and Huggy
Second walk out. Cold and fresh lovely.
Need some more joddy boots as almost trashed these, but finally sourced short boots that are waterproof.

collage-1704641316454.jpg

Anyone else managed to get out this year.
I can't be the only one.

Reactions: GaryB
I rode New Year's Day and again today, I think that's it for this year so far. It always takes me ages to recover from Christmas, so much prep beforehand and so much putting everything back to normal and getting back into a routine afterwards!

Reactions: GaryB
I haven't ridden since Boxing Day, so not this year yet.

I don't do Christmas so I only need a week to be back in a routine. A fair few shops here close for Christmas and New Year if it's their own business.
I have no issues with eating all the yummy products though, so my jogging bottoms are perhaps more snug than I recall. 😂
The kids went back to school this week,so ask the traffic is back to its usual winter volume.

My goodness - I don't know myself! Been out every other day and each one has been so calm and enjoyable, including today. The car park to the inclosure is indeed closed, so wonderfully deserted today. No work being done yet, so that may change. Went through a little herd of ponies no problem, I imagine even the ponies might disappear when the heavy machinery turns up. It will actually be good for Hogan - he doesn't have to deal with traffic, so it should wake him up a bit! Last time they were working, he went past a huge digger, but was terribly worried by a foot square sign :rolleyes:. However, super chilled today, very pleasant and relaxing.

I started the New Year nicely with a hack with K. Although we have been much luckier than some everywhere is waterlogged so we are staying on roads.
Thursday was a hack on my own, and then on Friday I boxed over to ride with C and we had a really nice hack round in the sun
On Saturday and Sunday I had short solo hacks. I really wanted to get some pics for this thread, but I also really wanted to keep my hands in my gloves!

Harvey waiting for his pay (He gets 2 apples after he has worked)
i-9L9JhxT-XL.jpg

i-MThCL3L-XL.jpg

Hacking
22 miles
6 hours 30

Brrrr! Chilly but bright, but I was toasty in my new (turquoise!) jacket. We set off, me knowing the machinery would be there by now, and it was. Digger, 2 trucks, and a JCB the size of a house. Also, the biggest herd of ponies we've seen - about 15 of them. Hogan was extremely awake, and we walked faster than we have for a long time, but he held it together. I had to keep reminding myself to keep the reins nice and slack - if I tighten them, he just gets more tense. I really expected to have to get off, especially as we approached the JCB, but sat it out, and he was super. I didn't dare take any pics, so just one of my brave boy, back home.Screenshot_20240110_111622_Gallery.jpg

Brrrr! Chilly but bright, but I was toasty in my new (turquoise!) jacket. We set off, me knowing the machinery would be there by now, and it was. Digger, 2 trucks, and a JCB the size of a house. Also, the biggest herd of ponies we've seen - about 15 of them. Hogan was extremely awake, and we walked faster than we have for a long time, but he held it together. I had to keep reminding myself to keep the reins nice and slack - if I tighten them, he just gets more tense. I really expected to have to get off, especially as we approached the JCB, but sat it out, and he was super. I didn't dare take any pics, so just one of my brave boy, back home.View attachment 121098
Is that one of those long coats I keep seeing people in?
Or shorter.
The colour sounds lovely.

Reactions: Huggy
Talking of hacking wear - did you once get a riding skirt @newforest or am I getting mixed up?
I have got one of these yes. I am hoping to try it out soon.
It was my second hack out, so that wasn't the ride to be fiddling with something I don't know how to fit.
I gave up trying to get my full chaps on, I will have another go looking at the photo example of were they should sit. 😂

• Haha
Reactions: Bodshi and Huggy
First hack of the year. It was an easterly wind and I made use of the buff.
Some of the lakes still looked frozen even in sun.
Just did half hour, but that was plenty for both of us. Got the farrier next week and it looks as if she's just got a quarter of an inch to grow out of the old shape.
Still waiting for the other insoles to arrive. Our postal service is shocking. Once a week of we are lucky!

collage-1704906125783.jpg

• Love
Reactions: GaryB and Huggy
Not quite as cold today. I decided to walk him out to get used to the machinery actually being used. There was not a rumble or a sound, as no one was operating it. However, we walked past it with only a glance, and had the added bonus of walking over huge metal plates they'd put down to drive the JCB over. Brave boy never flinched. They've done a lot of felling - not sure why, maybe just thinning it out. We then walked home with a dig walker and her completely crackers dog who raced round Hogan who again behaved beautifully.Screenshot_20240112_110423_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240112_110537_Video Player.jpg

Reactions: GaryB and newforest
Managed to get out for a very quick one this morning, a little quicker than intended since a few strides trot to get clear of traffic ended up being all of the high street plus part of the way home and jolly brisk it was too 🙄 . That said it felt cold and I can't say I minded doing a bit more, my feet were frozen when I got off and my hands ached. Still it was a ride and we managed to get round before school drop off caused it's usual chaos.

I'm so used to having horses that need to be kept in work that this winter I've got lazy!

No laughing allowed.

Okay I cannot get into the Shires fleece lined full chaps.
I think the L means long not large based on my interpretation.
They fit if a) I don't do them up where they should sit and b don't move because I would fall over them.

If these are any use to anyone, let me know and I can put in the post.
I suspect they are going to be a size 10/12 since they sit on your hip area and you also need long legs unless you fold them over.
Not suited to anyone with hilltop thigh from going up and down them all the time.

I can give you measurements 😂
Good home not essential, but it would be lovely if they fitted someone.

Reactions: Jane&Ziggy
newrider.com