3-tone ears **added pics of coat changes**

Very cute! I'm intrigued though - they're black in summer and white in winter? Would like to see the full body shot! :)

Oh yes they go through several changes throughout the year. About to go to bed but I will go through my photos tomorrow and try to find a range of them throughout the seasons! They can be anything from near-black, various shades of grey, almost blue-roan at times, to totally white in spring. This is the first time I've noticed 3 colours on one ear though!

Last edited:
Those ears are amazing. I have never known a pony go from white to black!

There is something lovely about roaning - I was never sure about it with piggy at first but have come to love it - he is returning to brown black and white from all white too :)

Ok have gone through and found some photos to show how they change.

They winter out unclipped and unrugged as not in work, and natural coat colour is dark. Changes slightly according to how and when they were clipped that year, as type and timing of clip varies according to weather and workload. First pic here is from Nov 2013 and second is the start of Feb 2014, the longlining pics were taken Feb 2015. Winter-time Pif has very obvious white patches on shoulder and bum.

WINTER nov 13th 2013.jpg WINTER feb 1st 2014.jpg WINTER feb 16th 2015 1.jpg WINTER feb 16th 2015 2.jpg

Springtime coat change. This photo was taken at the start of April 2014 - so this is what their spring coat looks like when they only had 1 clip the previous year. White hairs start coming in, mixing with the winter black and starting to make them a bit roany. Also a brownish tinge in places (Paf in particular gets quite a brown head in spring).

april 2nd 2014.jpg

And so by May time almost completely white, just in time to start moulting it everywhere!

normal colour at moulting timemay 2nd 2013 2.jpg normal colour at moulting time may 2nd 2013 1.jpg

But here's some cool pics from this spring :D In March we had a sudden, very un-Normandy-like heatwave and as the boys had just started driving again after their winter break and were unfit and hairy, they had a half-body clip to help with the sweating. So this is Pif after the clip on 14th March - back end still in its dark winter hair, front end newly-clipped, and between the two you can see the white spring hairs coming through. If you look at his belly you can also see how thick his winter coat was - this is why they need clipping when they come back into work!).

march 14th 2015.jpg

And this is the fun part. I took these pics today - just 8 weeks after the above photo, the clipped part that was pale is now dark (summer coat) and the hairy part that was dark (winter coat) is now white! Amazing colour changing ponies :D

this year moulting time with half clip left may 20th 2015 1.jpg this year moulting time with half clip left may 20th 2015 2.jpg

Summer colour. These photos are from July 2013 (first pic) and July 2014 (other two). You can see from Paf's legs what colour their summer coat might end up if they didn't get clipped.

july 8th 2013.jpg july 19th 2014 1.jpg july 19th 2014 2.jpg

And finally these photos show what they look like heading towards autumn. Still pale, but getting a smoky grey / bluish tinge as the darker winter hairs start to come through. First three pics were Sept 2011, the next two were taken Sept 2014. And the final pic was taken in November - back to their winter colour. Cool aren't they!

sept 4th 2011 (2).JPG sept 4th 2011.JPG sept 4th 2011 (3).JPG sept 14th 2014 1.jpg sept 14th 2014 2.jpg nov 19th 2013.jpg

Wow! That's amazing. I would never have thought they were the same ponies. The colour switch between March and today is particularly interesting. Thanks so much for doing that Joosie :)

That is amazing! Imagine the metabolic effort to make all those colour changes!

Honestly goose that is bizarre. What colour would you say they actually are? Blue roan?

Are they related, by the way? It seems extraordinary to find two just the same if they are not

Goose???? @joosie !

newrider.com