6.2 miles / 10km - how long ...

notpoodle

Jul 16, 2003
Brighton!
Visit site
... with two exmoors?

sharer and I doing trec at the end of the month, which involves a 10km orienteering hack. we've got a box booked and are trying to gage the guy's waiting time.

what is a reasonable time to do 6.2 miles in on two exmoors (eg shortlegged!!!)? we had a go on a local route yesterday which is about 6 miles (with some hillwork!) and it took us a shambolic 2.5 hours :frown: we did dawdle, chat and (in sharer's case) get off for a gate and remount (using a sheeptrough, it took a while ...) though!

hoping to do it in under two hours? maybe 1 hour 45? does this sound doable? ponies are being fittened up as we speak!

Julia
x

Not sure on horses but last year I ran the 10k race for life for cancer research and it took me 1hr and 5 mins and I'm pretty sure your exmoors could at least match or best that time :)

Is there a time limit for the 10k? Work back from that so you can achieve the points but do it in the time. Fitness wise I would work on daily shortish road work, walks, trots, to build up speed and fitness. Find out how many mph your ponies do at different speeds. Don't know how to do this but I expect there is a gadget you could buy, like them ones when you are running. Then you can work out your achievable goals. I dare say there are some eventers on here who could give you the information you need.

you were running though, no? I don't think we could trot the whole way :giggle: not whilst orienteering at the same time :cold:

ps: i could always get them over to you and race you? :mstickle:

one of my regular rides is 6.6miles and I usually do that in an average of 1hr 20 mins with plenty of walk and trot. It's a road ride so can't go quicker but i would think that would be quite an easily obtainable target for you.

you were running though, no? I don't think we could trot the whole way :giggle: not whilst orienteering at the same time :cold:

ps: i could always get them over to you and race you? :mstickle:

Wouldn't have called it running exactly :tongue: and i did walk a bit of it. I'm pretty sure a pony walk is as fast a slow jog? :tongue:

My running has got a lot worse recently so racing you might help your cause! I nearly died leading my son and harvey over a little jumping course, have got so unfit recently!!

@ Tina - yup, doing mucho trotting at the moment (weather permitting, some of our chalky tracks around here turn into slippery deathtraps when wet), and roadwork is on the agenda for every hack (we have to ride through the village to hit the bridleways) :) ive tried mapping the route we did yesterday on one of those map websites but not convinced that takes the hills into account ...

I reckon an hour and a half. Assuming you don't get lost! My top tip for successful orienteering... make sure you follow where you are on the map the whole time - not just when you need to make a nav decision i.e. keep yourself orientated! Also keep the map orientated with the ground as well - upside-down maps lead to big errors. :lol:

just managed to map one of our regular rides - we can do 7.5 km in just under an hour, and that's not going very fast. we should def be able to do 10km in under two hours :D

newrider.com