7 years since I said goodbye

Doodle92

Apr 6, 2021
When we had to call it a day and realise we couldn’t fix Minto this time. We tried so hard, he fought back so many times I owe my life (literally) to him. He didn’t have the best start and it took a long time until I could get on him without wondering if I would die as due to the idiot who “broke” him leaving him terrified of the mounting process. I rode him for a year then bought him 2 weeks before my finals as his breeder was moving. He was 7 when I got him and He was 21 when he died. In some ways he never grew old, he wouldn’t suit being an old horse. He always wanted to go faster. He would jump anything. He was incredibly special. He would hack out with anyone as long as he was in front! I went hunting. ONCE and never again! Despite his rough start he loved life. His enthusiasm was infectious. He never quite saw the point of dressage. My ability was waaaayyyy lower than his. His pair bond (and the horse who I had on loan for years) had died 2 years previously. He was 38. Minto was devastated. They are now back together and buried side by side. Minto on the left and Sultan with the white face.
15F22ACA-6D19-4084-AE5A-EFF50D03F53A.jpeg

And Minto doing his favourite thing
2B9C3993-F293-439D-8A9C-B66567229E9B.jpeg
It was the worst day of my life when he died. He fought till the evening before.

There is a lot of Minto in Robin. They are both such enthusiasts of life. Although Robin is calmer!

People then said “but you still have Soli, concentrate on him”. (He was an ex racer I had had for 5 years) 6 months later I also lost Soli. I couldn’t believe my rotten luck. Again with Soli we tried so hard. But it wasn’t to be.

newrider.com