A bit childish I guess....

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
But lately I've been "playing" about in the school whilst allegedly "schooling". Anyways, last night Storm told me to do something different. So, we did a bit of general schooling then I decided to learn to ride her in trot with just the one hand whilst the other stuck out or I pretended to have a sword (very frustrated life-guard here!lol). Anyways, it was amazing just how much I had been relying on my hands to dictate. For instance, I found it easier down the longside but come to the 15m circles and it was a different story - much more subtle leg persuasion required! By the end of it I managed lots of figures of 8 etc. Got to try it in canter next.... And, trying it on my "bad" rein (I am left handed so prefer the right rein) it was downright weird! Anyway, was a bit of fun, Mr T watched and was mildly impressed (he still remembers when I used to sit clamped on like a cardboard cut-out!lol).
What things do you play about with then whilst schooling? I am going to do lots of trot without stirrups tonight and then maybe something else - depending on what I can think up!!!

Some of my favourites:
alternating sitting and rising trot without affecting horse's rhythm or speed;
leg yielding to/from track;
leg yielding to track in walk or trot, cantering on reaching track;
trying for a few lengthened strides;
trying for some collection;
free walk on a long rein, including change of direction;
turns on the forehand;
spiralling circle in, then leg yielding out;

Oh, I could go on - oh dear, this is reminding me how much I liked schooling!

Jumping, no hands!
ride in jumping position or even standing in the stirrups
Sit for 2 beats of trot and rise for one
Canter for a certain amount of strides.

not childish at all Trewsers! At least, I hope not because i do that too :unsure:

Today in fact we were doing the same as you in walk, trot and canter and learning to keep reins on neck and ride 20m circles with seat mainly and legs if needed. Ended on also pushing sideways off the circle to finish by spiraling in and around a cone that marked my centre, with minimal reins. In canter you can do that and then go from the centre out the other way and practising that will (we hope) get good fly changes from the seat too :)

I do loads of wierd stuff. We had a go at barrels last week. Cones - one in the middle and then three along each short side to make a 'southern cross' pattern. Then go from the centre, down a gait to make the turn around the barrel and make sure hindquarters go round rather then just scraping round unbalanced and then back up into higher gait to next 'point' and carry on using all the 'points' (cones) in different orders. Gets very fun when cantering to a cone, trotting round then cantering to the next one!

Sparky lily, some of my favourites too.

Some other fun ones:

6 strides each of rising trot, sitting trot, standing trot and jumping position ..repeat until legs tired!

6 strides trot, six canter...if feeling very clever alternate canter with counter canter

Count number of strides (all paces) between two markers, increase by as many as you can, decrease by as many as you can ( this is great on roads with old fashioned telegraph poles!! but works well on the long side of a school)

Will think of some more later!!

These are really good ideas! Now I just want the rain to stop! Managed half an hour this morning - but was looking forward to more this evening....

newrider.com