A dressage scoring question

Bobbin

Back in the saddle yeehaa
Feb 16, 2006
I have just been sat here learning some dressage tests for Friday and was thinking, 'why am I bothering, I can get them called and not gain any penalties, but if I forget the test, I will lose two marks'

In all honesty, I think that sucks, why should people who don't have the tests called but go wrong be penalised when people who have the test called aren't.

It's a serious question, I am not whinging as I have had tests called in the past. I am just curious t'is all.

My old/first trainer would rather us get eliminated by going wrong three times than suffer the indignity of any of her students having a test read out ;).

So I always learnt them. That habit stayed with me until today - I have had a test read out before (even though I knew it by heart as well), but felt I wasn't concentrating as much on the whole flow of the test and kept getting almost distracted by someone calling out the moves. When it's just me & the horse .... it's fluent, it's happy and it's all up to me :D.

Only mistake I've ever made was take a long diagonal instead of a short one ... You get better and better at learning tests, esp as the same ones often come up at different shows. Once you know them all, you don't forget them again.

I have had a test read out before (even though I knew it by heart as well), but felt I wasn't concentrating as much on the whole flow of the test and kept getting almost distracted by someone calling out the moves. When it's just me & the horse .... it's fluent, it's happy and it's all up to me :D.

i agree with that. i had my mum call a couple of interdressage tests for me and i was almost panicky as i couldn't quite remember my next movement (and mum wasn't the greatest caller :rolleyes:) hence didn't set toby up as well as i could if i'd memorised the test. when i was in PC i always learnt my tests.

I also get a bit distracted when I have a test called but I still want to know why British Dressage feels it is justified to have such rules. Not having the test called bit, but the lack of penalties received for it or rather why people who go wrong on a learn't test get penalised.

I personally prefer having the test called!! By a good caller that is!
If not brain goes into overdrive worrying whether I am going the right way!
At least this way I can totally concentrate on my horse.
Personal preference I get.
Don't see why I should get penalised for having a rubbish memory!!

Bobbin,

You get penalised if you go wrong, whether it's called out or not. I've seen people go wrong because of the caller or because they've ignored the caller. Some people find it easier WITH a caller, some people (like me) find it easier WITHOUT a caller. BD give you both options and the same penalty regime.

Not sure why that's a problem?

Don't see why I should get penalised for having a rubbish memory!!

Nor do I, but why should others get penalised for getting distracted by a caller or by trying to remember the test and then perhaps if you are doing two, getting them mixed up.

Bottom line is, if you try and do it without a caller, you get penalised, if you don't even try, you don't. Seems unfair and inconsistant.

Nor do I, but why should others get penalised for getting distracted by a caller or by trying to remember the test and then perhaps if you are doing two, getting them mixed up.

Bottom line is, if you try and do it without a caller, you get penalised, if you don't even try, you don't. Seems unfair and inconsistant.

Do you mean people who go wrong because they are distracted by someone elses caller?

Bobbin,

You get penalised if you go wrong, whether it's called out or not. I've seen people go wrong because of the caller or because they've ignored the caller. Some people find it easier WITH a caller, some people (like me) find it easier WITHOUT a caller. BD give you both options and the same penalty regime.

Not sure why that's a problem?

I didn't say it was a problem, I am merely asking the question and putting that way makes sense I guess. But can you not see what I am getting at. Ofcourse you get penalised if you go wrong in either way, but why should you go wrong if you use a caller, surely you use a caller so you don't go wrong.

I guess its just one less thing to think about when your in there!
for those who do it all the time it might not be a big deal but for nervous nellies or those with young or inexperienced horses sometimes you have enough to think about - and if that horse has a bit of moment you can still end up on the wrong side of the arena!

surely you use a caller so you don't go wrong.

One would think so, but I've seen it many times. Sometimes people get so focussed on the caller they forget they're riding ... Or they get so panicky about needing/wanting a caller that they ask random people to call for them who might not have very good timing, etc ... Or, as last week, outdoor dressage = gale winds & heavy rain. Everyone who didn't know their test had to forfeit because no way you could hear a caller over the whistling wind, swaying trees & rain!

You can't have callers at championships - and that is the time when your score would really really matter, so it does kind of work like you suggested - you do need to know them then!

i've seen plenty of people go wrong with a caller. i do see what you're getting at, but i think you're assuming it's 'better' to ride without a caller. i always have a caller, i am hopeless at remembering tests and if i have to do two or three in one day i have no hope whatsoever.

Do you mean people who go wrong because they are distracted by someone elses caller?

No, say, you have a crap memory, but you find that a caller interrupts your flow as you are listening to the caller and not focusing 100% on the horse, then you would rather not have the caller but you still have the crap memory. You are less likely to go wrong, but, but maybe won't get the quality of performance you may get otherwise if you weren't listening out for the caller. I have only forgotton a test once and as soon as I was pulled up on it, I continued the test with no more faults.

But yes, as you mention it, someone elses caller in a multi ring set up, especially if it was another test could be a pain I guess.

*lol*
I wouldn't overthink this too much. Go with whichever you feel more comfortable with.

A caller because you don't know the test.
A caller because you do know the test but would rather have a backup.
No caller because you're confident you know the test.
No caller because you think you probably know the test ;).

i've seen plenty of people go wrong with a caller. i do see what you're getting at, but i think you're assuming it's 'better' to ride without a caller. i always have a caller, i am hopeless at remembering tests and if i have to do two or three in one day i have no hope whatsoever.

I am certainly not assuming it is better to ride without a caller, my question wasn't calling a persons riding ability or indeed memory into question. I just assumed that going wrong with a caller is something that didn't happen that much, but I see now that people still can go wrong with a caller. I am working along the lines that I would probably not get a random person to call for me for fear that they might make me go wrong if they didn't call far enough or too far ahead etc.

I normally find if I have two tests and they track different ways to begin with then I am ok, if they track the same way at C, then I am buggered:eek:

normally find if I have two tests and they track different ways to begin with then I am ok, if they track the same way at C, then I am buggered

Same here :).
That said, as much as I wibble before each test I still haven't made any major mistakes. I let half my brain deal with the pattern and other half with the horse ... That way I don't think too much about anything ;).

Lol..I am confused now!

So am I!!

Don't worry, I guess people took what I was saying to be a bit 'it's better not to have a caller', which wasn't my intention. It was literally, why has BD set it up X way and not Y.

It depends on the compettion. I think theres a rule in Irish riding club that you cant have the test called in a championship. I was in a championship one year and was told that I couldnt use a whip and spurs as it was a final. Yet they were allowing another girl to have her test called in the same comp so I objected to it(in fairness we had already ridden the test in the heats that day anyway!).

Like soot I was always taught by my YO that you must learn your test. It gets better with practice and some movements are repeated a lot so it gets easier. I hate getting a test called as I am trying to focus on the test and i get distracted by the caller. the test also doesnt flow as much as you cant plan the next movement as well.

newrider.com