A Good News Story

GaryB

Mar 23, 2015
Some of you may remember I have been looking after a poorly friend's horses. Two years ago she was diagnosed with a brain tumour and 3 of us have been looking after her 2 ponies and retired event horse ever since. She hasn't left any instructions for them and is at the point now where she can't communicate. We finally got permission from the family to rehome them.

The 2 ponies were easy (one rising 4 and the other a 12 year old driving pony). The retired horse is my ex share horse who I have known for 17 years and rode for 2. While he is healthy we didn't want him ridden and companion homes for horses are hard to find. I was happy to take him on if he stayed where he was but the land owner wanted him moved so I just couldn't make it work financially or practically.

The good news is we have finally found him a companion home through a friend of a friend. We got references and visited first. She never asked about his ridden career which everyone else enquiring did (anyone asking about his ridden career other than in passing was rejected straight away).

Two weeks ago we delivered him to his new home as a companion to a 29 year old mare with cushings. He loaded travelled well for the 3 hour journey despite not having left his field for years His new owner was well prepared with the field double fenced while they were introduced. He came off the lorry went into the field and just started grazing.
We have had regular updates so far and he seems to be loving life. I miss him badly but we had to do what was right for him and I will be off to visit when he has been there for a month or two

Last day with an old friend
i-pFDVwcw-XL.jpg

The start of a new chapter
i-rttktvn-L.jpg

Introductions
i-LMrx7p4-XL.jpg

New friends
i-HQChwx8-L.jpg

i-TnBC9RW-XL.jpg

What a lovely outcome! I cant lie, I was a bit teary with that last picture. Well done for all the effort you put in to giving him a happy retirement - you're all true friends.

Oh that's a gorgeous picture essay, what a beautiful pair they make. I'm sure he will miss you, but it looks like the perfect place for him now. So glad you got a happy ending for him.

Reactions: Huggy and GaryB
newrider.com