A Little Bit of Help Please?

Flipo's Mum

Heavy owner of a Heavy
Aug 17, 2009
Perthshire, Scotland
I posted on here a week or so ago about applying for a job as the volunteer co-ordinator with the RDA and after some encouragement (thank you!) I applied and got a call today to invite me to interview with them.:dance::unsure: I'm not sure if I can fit with the hours they are offering but if I don't try, I'll never get anywhere so here goes nothing!

They have asked me to complete a ten minute presentation on How I would entice potential volunteers into helping out at the RDA. Sooooo, I'm looking for your thoughts pretty please help me again!

If you have had some involvement with the RDA -
What was your motivation to volunteer?
What was your experience of volunteering with them, did you enjoy it - what aspects?
What did you get out of it - did it help your career/social life/self esteem?
Do you still do it?

If you've never volunteered with them -
Have you ever thought about volunteering with the RDA?
If yes, what got in the way? (please feel really free to be honest about your reasons - 'couldn't be bothered' is totally valid in this situation although I'd really like a bit more detail- couldn't be bothered because it was too far to travel for instance would really help me better understand.)

Anyone else who has had any other dealings with the RDA - professionally, personally attending to ride or otherwise, I would really appreciate your opinions and views on this charity. I'm trying to do as much research as possible so I'm ready for Friday and word of mouth is such a strong source of information so thank you in advance - milk and cookies all round.

Good luck on the interview FM :smile:

I would be sick at the thought of doing a presentation :poop: got total stage fright lol!!

Not much use but i did a few weeks volenteer work at a donkey sanctaury who gave rides/lessons to disabled children.
It was bloomin hard work, had to work 7am-6pm monday-saturday
Mucking out 15 donkeys and leading them around a manage all day is tiring.

Never the less i loved the donkeys and they made it all worth while :inlove:

Not to keen on children so that didnt really satisfy me on that basis, was nice to see them have fun though.

This is probably not much help, haven't worked with RDA. Have you looked at some of the RDA websites I know that Haworth Riding for the Disabled have a site www.haworthrda.co.uk it might help you a little. What about using powerpoint as part of your presentation, maybe a little about you why you enjoying riding, if you ride and why you want (if you do) pass that feeling onto others. Maybe saying something about helping those can't do 'normal' (not a good word) things achieve something through their riding.
Hope the interview goes well.

This is probably not much help, haven't worked with RDA. Have you looked at some of the RDA websites I know that Haworth Riding for the Disabled have a site www.haworthrda.co.uk it might help you a little. What about using powerpoint as part of your presentation, maybe a little about you why you enjoying riding, if you ride and why you want (if you do) pass that feeling onto others. Maybe saying something about helping those can't do 'normal' (not a good word) things achieve something through their riding.
Hope the interview goes well.

Overcoming "occupational deprivation" (lack of meaningful activities)

and

Developing a sense of self worth and confidence through skill development and responsibilities

I would love to help with RDA and there is one just down the road. I enjoy being with horses and strongly believe that if you can help improve someones life by walking around with them on horse back then how simple !

The only thing that stops me is having little one, OH works shifts so sometimes I wouldnt be able to be there as no one to baby sit.

Thank you guys, I've been away researching websites for those RDA sites - the one I'm applying to has its on so I've been comparing with the Haworth one (thanks pharoah!)

thankyou Vicki - so basically I should be suggesting some sort of horsey weight loss boot camp to potential volunteers! Funnily enough it was one of the reasons i got back into it so not beyond consideration!

Cheers miss pfb the teacher of everything (is there anything you don't know about?! for one so young you are super knowledgeable)

LL - this is the sort of reason I was expecting and will need to think about how they could overcome. They appear to look for people to volunteer on a regular basis each week - hard for those who work shifts, have childcare, transport issues.

Well, I think you should get the job...you have just inspired me to look into my local groups website and send them a wee email about volunteering :happy:

The reason I haven't considered it before is mainly because I didnt think I had enough experience with horses. I can ride a horse (in fact I learnt the basics as a child at my local RDA while my mum volunteered there) but I don't have much stable management experience. From looking at the website I see they train you up, so experience isn't essential.

There are several reasons I would like to do it:
a) selfishly, to get more stable management experience and maybe get in the saddle every so often.
b) to improve these kids lives. Riding at the RDA is often the highlight of their week, and the pleasure they gain out of it is invaluable.
c) I already have skills in working with youngsters which I can use, though not much experience with disabled children (either mentally or physically)
d) To give the parents a bit of a break, often these children are loved dearly, but can be hard work. For the parents to get half an our to sit back and watch the smile on their childs face must also be invaluable.
e) In all honesty I find it fascinating to watch the connection between horse and rider! I still dont really understand how it works (other than the physical aspects) and thats with growing up round the stables.

Although it's not an issue for me, I think you also have to remember the CV enhancing aspect for the younger helpers. Having volunteering on your CV is always a plus, and if you plan on working with children helping with the RDA is even better. I think most of the helpers at my local RDA are teenagers (which, I must admit, slightly puts me off at 25).

Hope that helps a little.

Good luck with the interview!

I have never volunteered for the RDA because I have never once thought about it, but actually it sounds really interesting and worthwhile. I have no idea what they would be looking for. If someone were to come along to my riding club, or canvass on a site like this, I'd watch and read with interest.

As for your presentation, for me 10 minutes is borderline for Powerpoint - the amount of faff for a short session with only one or two slides - and the fact that I like people to look at me when I talk, not at a screen. If you want to use something visual, which does help people remember, you could prepare a flip chart (or just use a big bit of paper) or have a handout prepared which you could give to people - would also be a useful memento of you! PM me if you want any more thoughts, I used to do a lot of this stuff.

- edited to add - I am assuming that you are speaking to a small group. If you've got a group of 80, which is what I have been working with for the past 2 days, then powerpoint is great!!!!

Hi, I've had experience from the RDA both as a volunteer and as a member of staff trying to recruit volunteers, so this might be a bit long!

If you have had some involvement with the RDA -
What was your motivation to volunteer?
I started volunteering as work experience when I wanted to be a vet. I'd never spent any time with horses before, but after the first week I was completely hooked and have been ever since. I couldn't afford lessons or a horse so being at the RDA gave me 'horse time' and taught me a helluva lot about caring as well as riding.

What was your experience of volunteering with them, did you enjoy it - what aspects?
I loved almost everything about volunteering - the horses, the riders, the staff, being outdoors all day and being made to feel a valued member of the team. There were times though when it was less than perfect - if there were a lot of cancellations it could be boring (especially if the staff couldn't be bothered to think of jobs for you to do), there were times when I disagreed with the instructors opinion (this was more of an issue when I had started my instructor training) and the inevitable politics that come with any yard - this was exacerbated because the RDA groups are committee-run so there could be a LOT of backstabbing which I became more and more aware of.

What did you get out of it - did it help your career/social life/self esteem?
Do you still do it?

I got a huge amount from working the RDA. I am unrecognisable now compared to how I was when I started, I became more confident, learned how to deal with all sorts of difficult people, learned how to manage people, trained as an instructor eventually becoming an RDAI and worked there full time for 2 years on and off. It meant I had to job to go to when I had to leave uni early, and a place to live when my parents kicked me out! I left to go back to uni and haven't been back much, but it was the centre of my life for a helluva long time and it taught me SO much about life, people and horses!
[/QUOTE]

When I was working at the group I spent a fair amount of time recruiting, training and managing the volunteers so here are some thoughts:
-The easiest way to lose volunteers is to make them feel either as if you don't need them or that they aren't included. It's very easy to just use the most experienced volunteers for lessons and leave the more boring jobs for the new ones, but if you make the effort to include the new volunteers from the start you end up with a much more motivated and committed workforce.

-Don't just get them to do the jobs that you don't want to do!!! (Happens more frequently than you'd imagine)

-Make sure that you know their experience level and the sort of jobs they want to do when they start. We had some volunteers who really just wanted to come and have a leisurely walk with one of our slow groups for a morning a week, and some who would start to feel neglected unless you ran them into the ground. Similarly we did have some volunteers who wanted to come and do gardening, field maintenance etc and not come within 10 yards of a horse - it's all helpful!

-Training is REALLY, REALLY important. The RDA have a training card system (fondly referred to as 'green card') which every volunteer much have. They aren't allowed to do any task which they haven't had signed off on the card, but I'd often find myself with a new volunteer in a situation where I NEEDED them to help otherwise the rider couldn't have a lesson, so ended up having to rush through training in 30 seconds - obviously not safe if the volunteer hasn't been near a horse before and will not do anything to make the volunteer feel confident. Ideally I would have liked to have seen volunteer training days much more frequently, but they just didn't happen at my group.

-We took a lot of school work experience students on. If you train them well and make sure they have a really good week or 2, normally you can persuade them to come back and volunteer at weekends :)

I think that's all for now (lol, sorry for the essay). Good luck

I think most of the helpers at my local RDA are teenagers (which, I must admit, slightly puts me off at 25).

Not sure if it might be the one i am thinking of but have had quite a bit of involvement with one local RDA - please don't let age put you off you'll be surprised at the age range of people and they do like a good variety of ages to over see things as well - adults always in need so to say. :smile:

Hi, i deliver lots! of power point presentations as part of my job and to be honest 10 mins is maybe an 8 slide affair, assuming you will be talking around the slides?

I have been a volunteer with a different organisation for 5 years, and have never considered the RDA as to be honest it is not well publisised in my area and i couldnt even tell you where the nearest one was, nor what they would expect so for me the big thing would be publicity. Not only of where you RDA is, but about what it does and what they are looking for in volunteers, and as mentioned above i think it would motivate people to promote the personal benefits to the volunteer. For example i used my volunteering with young people with behavioural problems to jump start a total change in career! Promote the benefits of the training offered, and the experience to be gained and how potential employer give high regard to voluntary work, not only for direct experience but as i says something for the social values of a person to willingly give up their free time to benfit others.

Sorry, very long winded post...

Laura, you're boosting my confidence already cheers mrs!
I think one point for me is that while I can spend my life encouraging potential volunteers and almost begging them to come along, its the old 'you can take a horse to water but you can't make it drink' debate. There has to be some motivation on the part of the individual to follow through with the commitment.
I've chased people to come to train as a befriender and then to get references and then to come in for interviews and I just get to the point where I think 'well if this is how you are with the recruitment process then what are you gonna be like a regular commitment of taking a child out every week'.
From the photographs I think there is a broad range of ages volutneering at this particular centre, one of the challenges will be transport links. Its outside of town and they only seem to want volunteers mon-fri.
Jane & kaliko99 I need a hook - something to make my presentation stand out from the rest. I had to do more or less the same thing for my current role as volunteer co-ordinator for barnardos. I wanted to keep it simple, used about eight slides and had to show what i would do to recruit befrienders. I called it the 'fairy god mother (& fathers) agency' pathetic now, but my manager loved it and i got the job. I am more comfortable using powerpoint but not talking from it entirely, just a couple of points per slide but I don't know if thats ok, you're making me think Jane. I will sleep on it and maybe speak to you later on if thats ok?!
alwaysfallign off - oooh now thats interesting insider info- thank you! the green card is interesting. I'm wondering about the type of people who help out and what they want to do.

alwaysfallign off - oooh now thats interesting insider info- thank you! the green card is interesting. I'm wondering about the type of people who help out and what they want to do.

We had a real mix - school age people who just wanted horse time, a laugh with their mates and something to put on their UCAS, prospective vet students, middle-aged housewives who wanted a 'cause' to support, a fair number of retired people (who were the most mixed bunch - some wanted to just make the tea, others went whizzing round with wheelbarrows and led in every lesson!) and a few that didn't fit into any box!

Ok sorry I keep on thinking of more to add.
We also had some disabled volunteers who would come to do yard duties, from local day-centres and the like.

If I could have changed one thing, it would be that the problem my RDA group had wasn't so much recruiting volunteers as keeping them. You know how a lot of horse people have 'limited' people skills? That becomes a BIG problem when you want people to work alongside them for free. It's probably not something you could say at interview without appearing critical, but to be honest my biggest observation is that it was the staff who needed leadership training to keep the volunteers we had (who were obviously motivated enough to approach the RDA of their own accord) rather than a big push to recruit people who maybe aren't quite as interested.

Ok sorry I keep on thinking of more to add.
We also had some disabled volunteers who would come to do yard duties, from local day-centres and the like.

If I could have changed one thing, it would be that the problem my RDA group had wasn't so much recruiting volunteers as keeping them. You know how a lot of horse people have 'limited' people skills? That becomes a BIG problem when you want people to work alongside them for free. It's probably not something you could say at interview without appearing critical, but to be honest my biggest observation is that it was the staff who needed leadership training to keep the volunteers we had (who were obviously motivated enough to approach the RDA of their own accord) rather than a big push to recruit people who maybe aren't quite as interested.

LOL - that made me chuckle. So a slightly different tack would be to talk about what sort of training or support I could give to existing staff/ volunteers to help welcome the new volunteers! I like it, thats something that they might not have got from other candidates!:wink:

A couple of points per slide and just talking SOUNDS GREAT TO ME!

oops, just seen a PM *buzzes off to see if it's from Flipo's Mum*

When I moved to my current city, I called the local RDA barn to see if they needed volunteers. The woman who answered the phone was so rude and unwelcoming that I didn't bother. When I asked if I could come and see the facilities and meet someone who would explain what was required, she said " oh just come when you want - there's usually someone here". I asked for directions on how to get there - she said "oh, just ask someone - everyone knows where we are". (Maybe not if you just moved - as I had explained earlier).

Chose to volunteer in a different area altogether (local hospital board).

Good luck with the interview - you never know until you try!

Ah tbay that's where I think I do well - I hate hate hate not knowing what im letting myself in for so like to reassure others when and where I'll meet them, what they can expect down to the littlest detail.
I sent one earlier Jane - before you offered your services - don't worry I will call upon your expertise once I've got a bit more info together, you don't get away that easily.

this is from dummies.com and might give you food for thought.

Considering Why People Volunteer
Volunteers are the lifeblood of the nonprofit sector. Just about every nonprofit charitable organization uses volunteers in some capacity. In most cases, board members serve without compensation. For many nonprofit organizations in the United States, volunteers do all the work, from planting the trees to paying the bills. Even if your organization employs paid staff, volunteers still provide valuable service. Organizations depend on volunteers to staff telephone hotlines, lead scout troops, provide tutoring, coach youth sports teams, serve hot meals, organize fundraising events, and stuff envelopes. So if you're going to manage a nonprofit organization, you need to know how to work with volunteers.
The classic stereotype of a volunteer is someone who has lots of time to spare and is looking for something to do. Although this perception may have been true in the past when many women stayed out of the workplace and gave their energies to charity, the stereotype no longer fits. Women still volunteer more than men, and people between the ages of 35 and 44 are the likeliest to volunteer. Those members of the "likeliest group" also are likely to be balancing careers with raising families, not to mention taking care of aging parents, going to the gym, and keeping up with e-mail.
Understanding why people volunteer makes it easier to find volunteers, organize their work, and recognize their contributions. Not everyone is motivated by the same factors. People volunteer for a variety of reasons, including their desire to
  • Help the community and others. Helping others usually comes to mind first when people think of volunteers. But as you see when you read deeper in this list, their motives aren't always this simple.
  • Increase self-esteem. Volunteering makes people feel better about themselves. Giving a few hours a week, or even a month, to an organization creates good feelings.
  • Help out friends. Friends are often the first people we turn to when we need help. Volunteering also can create a great way to get together with friends on a regular basis.
  • Make new friends. Volunteering is usually a social activity. People use this opportunity to meet interesting people who share their interests and values.
  • Try out a job. People considering a job in the nonprofit sector often discover that volunteering is a good way to get a peek at what happens on the inside.
  • Polish their resumes. Adding volunteer experience to a resume shows a commitment to helping others or to working in a particular field.
  • Develop new skills. A volunteer job often gives people an opportunity to learn how to do something they didn't know how to do.
  • Enjoy something they love. Many volunteer jobs come with intrinsic benefits for their participants. Ushers at the symphony get to hear the music. Gardeners removing invasive plants from a native plant preserve get to spend a day in a beautiful natural setting.
Keep this list in mind, and you'll realize that you don't have to focus your recruitment efforts exclusively on retired people or others who have a lot of leisure time. If you can provide an environment in which volunteers can bring their friends, meet others who share their interests, and learn new skills, you can lure even the busiest people into helping. Remember that you have no reason to be apologetic about asking for help: Volunteering benefits those people who step forward to assist you.

Read more: http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/considering-why-people-volunteer.html#ixzz14rterdQ2

this one might help as well: http://www.volunteerglasgow.org/4U/millennium_volunteers.asp

ooooh, how I miss recruitment (ok thats not quite true!).

Good luck!

Last edited:
Personally I would be inclined to split the presentation into two sections - 1) how to recruit new volunteers and 2) how to keep and develop existing volunteers. I notice below that your presentation is on 'how you would entice potential volunteers' so I would urge you to make sure you stick to the task you have been set. I think it would be good to talk about strategies to entice potential volunteers, and maybe conclude with the point that once you get them you have to keep them, and here are some suggestions on how you might do that.

As for ideas to entice potential volunteers, some suggestions I have are contacting local riding clubs, local riding schools (for clients who might want more horsey time) local schools (luckily my local RDA fields are across the road from the highschool, but if yours is a bit out the way it could be useful), I would also mention this forum, explain the level of response you got and that just one post has already prompted one member to go and find out more!

As for your PowerPoint presentation I was always taught to have no more than 2 or 3 points on each slide and to use as few words as possible (my old boss was famous for doing PowerPoint presentations using only pictures!) I would also be inclined to use a plain background (fancy stuff detracts from the message) you could maybe be a bit cheeky and put the RDA symbol in one of the corners?!

newrider.com