A little help please :)

AllEquestrian

Aug 20, 2005
i accuired a horse 2 months ago and hes wonderful (brilliant, amazing, etc hehe :D ) but hes a bit "looky" as it were, he rarely actually spooks, but when im schooling him, if something occurs outside of the arena he'll stick his head up (he usually works into a lovely outline/contact - really works from behind) and evade me, which means i have to push him back into the outline, which although not a HUGE problem, does distract us all for a bit.

so his previous owner popped by today to see him, and had a ride, and he suggested riding in draw reins once a week, so that i can give him a tweak to remind him im still on board (bearing in mind hes a hugely powerful 16.2hh belgian warmblood show jumper - and im a 17 year old :rolleyes: ) ... ive used draw reins before, but would this be the correct usage of them.. obviously only on the flat, not for jumping, and only once a week.. ?

Its good that your horse is looking and not spooking. But id say no to draw reins. Use your leg and ask him to work again. 2 months isnt long so he is probably still getting used to everything. Took my horse 6months + to truly settle at my yard, and he is the most laid back lazy horse you will ever meet!

Good luck xx

There is absolutely no indication for using draw reins or for changing the bit.

My mare is the same, she's getting better in the school but she's very nosy and will always have a look at what's happening outside. All we do is what mogadoga says and give her a nudge with the leg to get her working again. If it's something that she obviously finds scary then I let her have a look and then carry on but we're at the point now where she needs to stop getting distracted :)

I agree there is no indication for draw reins or a change of bit. It fact it sounds like its all going very well. He is new to you, he needs a little time to know that you will be in charge of deciding if the 'monsters are scary'! Also, schooling is a 'conversation' between the two of you. It should be a negotiation and evolve over time.

I'd say that you are already doing the right thing, just relax and enjoy getting to know him and inviting him to trust you :)

I also think there is no need for draw reins or a different bit .. I would not change a horses bit just because its 'looky' or something ..

As soon as you feel him or he does put his head up, use your legs and give him a nudge and talk to him.. tell him 'hey we are working .. come on now lets get to it' or something .. your voice will bring him back and the legs will encourage him to move forwards.

:) good luck!

I can't see how draw reins would help either.

It sounds like you are thinking about this problem in terms of it being an issue of "outline." Yes, he's coming out of his "outline," but is that the main issue, or is that a symptom of another issue? If, for example, he's coming above the bit because he's getting behind the leg, trying to solve the problem by asking for more bend in the neck can actually make the problem worse and teach him a new way to evade (by getting behind the bit).

As others have noted, keeping his work varied can help to keep his mind occupied. Also, insisting that he is always and truly in front of the leg (regardless of where his head is). Frequent transitions can serve both these purposes.

its not for the outline i wanted the draw reins, its to remind him to concentrate when he gets distracted, i wouldn't like to use draw reins for an outline, as it should mainly come from the legs :)

i dont think draw reins are a very good idea for any horse. it forces them into an outline instead of actually encouraging them gently. especially for young horses it can ruin them from the beggining. dont know what to suggest though sorry.......

are you sure he doesnt get distracted because he might be bored???? why dont you try doing different sort of things with him. 7 1/2 is still quite young for a horse, so he could just be curious of his surroundings???

i dont really think he can be bored, i mean we don't hack because the hacking is not only atrocious around here, but frankly dangerous, however he didn't do much hacking before i had him... before he came to me about 2 months ago he was ridden 1-2 days a week. now hes ridden about 3-4days/week, lunged or loose schooled once ... then hes jumped 1 time a week - rarely 2, and has one or two days off ... and he really seems to enjoy being ridden, even when its schooling, rather than jumping ;) which he really really enjoys

he was getting less distracted when i rode him today as i was the only one in the arena, i think he just gets excited ;) because hes not so used to being in an arena with other horses as we bought him straight from the person who bred him... so this is his first "new" home, so yes hes probably just incuisitive (sp?!)

That makes sense. So just try to keep him busy with lots of questions and exercises. I see what you mean about reminders to concentrate. Does a tap with the whip or a touch with the spurs serve as a reminder if he doesn't listen to a quieter cue from the leg?

i dont ride with either whip or spurs, hes erm ... quite forward going! i usually just give him a nudge with my legs to regain his concentration but its just that he'll work so so nicely and then he gets distracted and we're back to were we were 5 minutes ago, but i think i'll just see how he goes for the next month or so, to let him settle in more and more, as i think he is getting better :) thanks for your help

A bit looky.

Hello I must say your horse sounds super.
To use draw reins would be ashame a kinder way would be to plan your schooling before you ride ,if you plan your 30 mins you can find ways to keep him responsive and keep him ticking by asking for lots of different things from him and by doing this you can keep him busy through most distractions and ride him through it.
7 1/2 is still young for this horse and really he is just doing what any horse or person for that matter would do and that is to look .
Schooling can be hard work and a little boreing for a young horse but you can make things more enjoyable even if it is a little grid work and a few mins walk on long rein and even riding long and low for a bit.
Also with him being in a new area he needs to know that the distraction is not going to harm him i would give him a while to adjust to new sites and sounds
and ride him kindly forward and give a wither scratch to say good lad and carry on in time you will find he will not be so distracted .
Best wishes to you and your new horse.

He sounds like he's just being nosy really. Is it at certain points in the school that he does it? If you can anticipate it, see if you can remind him you're there, and you're much more interesting than anything else, before he has a look, whether you talk to him, or give a quick tweak on one rein or whatever.

newrider.com