A slightly more mature NR

Yogi

Jun 19, 2010
I thought I would say hi in this section as well as the introduction section. Hope that is ok! :) I am 38 years old and have come quite late to riding. I sat on ponies and donkeys as a child, but my big passion back then was dogs (and still is really ;)).

I have been riding about four months now, and started off having instructional hacks, but decided to go for private lessons after feeling I wasn't really progressing beyond a very basic level with the hacks. I love it! My long term aim is to own a horse and keep him at home; to enjoy hacking out in our beautiful countryside, as well as possibly popping over a few jumps, and definitely looking forward to all the care and attention side of horse ownership.

We currently live on a farm in a remote corner of Scotland and my hubby is head shepherd on a 14,000 acre estate. I have two german shepherds and two collies of my own, and hubby has six working collies and currently a very cute litter of 9 day old pups. The job here entails caring for the estate's blackie ewes and lambs, Highland cattle, alpaca and we also have hens and tropical fish :D

I have a yearning (at the moment) for either a Highland pony, or more probably a Clydesdale or Shire x. I have been riding a Clydesdale x in my lessons and love him! I am very open to finding the right horse for me though, rather than any particular type or breed.

As well as all the animals, I have a two year old son and a seven year old stepson to keep under control, and I also volunteer for GSD Rescue Scotland.

I look forward to hearing more from the people, like me, who have found riding later in life. My only real regret is not starting much sooner!

hello and welcome - Clydie X sounds a great dream to me - can just see you cantering around the countryside on the lovely sounding estate:)

by the way - you are a mere child in my rheumy old eyes!!:D Plenty of time to realise every one of your dreams - look forward to hearing the tale of your journey into horse ownership.;)

Hello and welcome, Your home sounds lovely. If 38 is old I am giving up because at 34 I feel 24 and can run circles round the youngters at the yard.

Wish I was 38 again:). We are lucky having our own farm to wander around but 14000 acres:eek: sounds blissful to me plus it will be a great way to exercise the dogs too:D. I am a fan of Highlands. I expect you need something that can rough your weather:). Look forward to hearing more.

Welcome! I am 50 on Wednesday so you are a mere stripling!

The first pony I shared was a Highland and we was lovely - a weightlifter with an angel's face and a real confidence giver. I am sure you will find a beaut where you are, too!

Good luck with it, and we need pictures!

Hi Yogi. I'm 47 (or possibly 48, can't remember! no it is definitely 47) and just achieved my ambition of owning my own horse. I rode as a child but never had my own pony and gave up when I was about 15. Came back to it nearly 2 years ago and was hooked.

Good luck with your horsey ambitions, I agree it does sound lovely where you live, for horses and dogs too. We have a Pyrenean Mountain Dog, old and a bit smelly but much loved, and a year old GSD x Malinois, who can be a bit of a handful - far more excitable than a pure GSD. He tries very hard to be a good boy though. 14,000 acres might just be enough for him to burn his energy off - at the moment he has to make do with bike rides, chasing hares and trampolining (don't ask!)

Agree BTW - pictures of your menagerie would be lovely!

Welcome to NR. Your life and 14, 000 acres of freedom sound idylic. I'm hoping to purchase a fjord next year but love highlands, dales, fells and welsh cobs .... well, any chunky sort really.

Well, I got my first horse at 50 - so 38 is quite young in my book! Sounds like you live in a paradise - would be perfect to have a horse to ride around the estate. Any chance of pics of the 9 day old pups???? please ....

(I'm not too keen on babies, but puppies, kittens, foals..... love them):eek:

Thanks for the lovely warm welcome people :) I am just off out to give the dogs a good run before it gets too hot and will post some photos of my lot when I return.

Hello and welcome! You spring chicken you....hehehe, (am 40!). I came to horses rather late aged 34 - so am trying to catch up! Sounds lovely where you are - am quite envious of all your animals and land!!! NR is a great board, and I'm sure you'll soon be addicted!

Welcome aboard. 38 is certainly not old!!! Or that's what I tell myself every morning :D Enjoy the riding, and I'm only the teenist bit jealous of where you live but wouldn't move out of Wales.

Oh and NR is a great place to be, everyone is friendly and approachable with really good advice.

Last edited:
Hello, lucky you being YOUNG and living in a beautiful place!

Highlands for me everytime (well I have a lovely Welsh cob too). I have three Highlands, one is a two year old home bred. They are great.

Are you able to visit the Royal Highland this week? Thursday morning is Highland pony showing and Friday the ridden classes. You can walk down the pony lines afterwards and meet lots of enthusiasts.

Here are my two boys, rescued Rory and homebred Reiver (black)
RoryandReiverheads.jpg

newrider.com