A tip for confidence

I've never lunged her and haven't the foggiest how to! Another one for the RI to teach me......
I’m just thinking, if she objects to being lunged on that surface, then she objects to the surface. If she is fine being lunged on it, but objects to you riding on it, then it’s not necessarily the surface...

I sometimes can go through periods of not being as confident as I usually am and it is for no apparent reason, it just seems to creep up on me ,

I’m feeling very much like that at the moment as I’ve had a couple of scary experiences recently; . On Friday my daughter and me were at the yard and decided do a bit of lead rope practise: stand, walk on, back, turn etc in between the heavy showers. We groomed and then took Nancie down to the sand school and she was fine with daughter, but after I led her through some poles she started properly jumping about. I was quite scared, but managed to stay calm and did keep her on the lead and we went straight back up to the yard. I told my RI/YO and she said it was probably because she has been letting the horses out to roll etc into the school as the land is very wet. Nancie probably was wondering why we weren’t letting her go free in there. I just wish RI had mentioned it beforehand (she was on the yard and I told her we were going to do some lead rope work). I’m really cross and upset and so glad my daughter wasn’t leading her when she jumped about. But of course I was a bit anxious when I rode Nancie on Saturday she was awful in the school, jumpy, head tossing or down, bit-chewing, generally not listening. I did lots of mainly circles in trot, but couldn’t stop the head faffing. Now I’m feeling very despondent and don’t feel like riding at all. Like another recent thread, we’ve gone from an amazing push-button schoolmaster mare, who we sadly lost, to a young horse (Irish cob x 5 1/2). She’s not nasty, I just think she’s young. Don’t know what to do next really.
Updated today to say daughter and me have been really working on her this week and she’s fine again. Even got some bend in canter yesterday - yay! Perhaps she had a bit of PMT lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Prjsmk
newrider.com