abbot davies balancing rein

Quival

Aug 21, 2019
Using one of these on my new horse. He is a 12 year old Dutch boy and exe Venter. Want to show and dressage him so from really help him and I don't need to hang on his mouth. Anyone had experience of this please or could comment please?

I remember these being about yonks ago but never used one so can't give feedback other than to say gadgets rarely get you where you want to be, good schooling is always the best option.

Reactions: carthorse and PePo
Why does wanting to dressage mean you need to use a gadget?

Helping the horse find his own rhythm, balance and ultimately self carriage through schooling will achieve that, whatever the intended discipline :)

I've always thought that "balancing rein" was a bit of a silly name for this product as horses are perfectly capable of balancing themselves, without needing to pull their head down and tie their mouth to their tail :rolleyes: It's just another device invented as a shortcut to producing an "outline" rather than putting in the hard graft and working towards it one step at a time.
Quite honestly, if using a gadget like this is the only way you can avoid "hanging onto his mouth" there's a fairly serious schooling issue somewhere. I would look for a good flatwork instructor, preferably one who also rides and schools well, and invest in some lessons to help you work out and work through his issues & who will also be honest about your own riding as - without meaning to be insulting - I'd be fairly certain that the horse isn't the only one of you who needs work.

Reactions: carthorse
100% with Joosie here - too many instructors think that working in outline just means bringing the horse's head to the vertical or even beyond. They urge riders to "play" with the reins to get the horse to bring its head down and many horses have learnt to do just that but it is a false outline.

The only way to get the horse working properly "in a frame", "round", "collected" or "on the bit" is to ride with impulsion from the legs into a light contact with the reins, when the horse really steps under with the hinds and lifts its back - it is an unmistakable feeling for the rider, one of power and lightness :)

Reactions: OwnedbyChanter
I agree with all the above and would just like to add that if the horse is an ex eventer he should have at least a basic knowledge of dressage since that's one of the disciplines included in eventing.

I have used the abbot Davis balancing rein just the rein and not the bit that ties to the tail. I swear by it. I had a horse with a back problem and another that kept throwing its head up. After having their backs checked I used this rein for hacking and they both rounded beatifully without any pressure on the mouth. The critical factor in this system is the lowering of the neck before the head bends. With the neck lowered the horse will bend naturally and emphatically, some from the poll, some not, but the quarters will engage and muscle building will begin with long lasting effect and happy results. I have owned my balancing rein for years And I get a lovely outline with no effort on my part And the horse carries himself beautifullyThe reason I am sending this post is to ask if anyone has one they no longer use I would love to buy it from you as they no longer make them. Thanks

Using one of these on my new horse. He is a 12 year old Dutch boy and exe Venter. Want to show and dressage him so from really help him and I don't need to hang on his mouth. Anyone had experience of this please or could comment please?
How are you getting on with it

I have used the abbot Davis balancing rein just the rein and not the bit that ties to the tail. I swear by it. I had a horse with a back problem and another that kept throwing its head up. After having their backs checked I used this rein for hacking and they both rounded beatifully without any pressure on the mouth. The critical factor in this system is the lowering of the neck before the head bends. With the neck lowered the horse will bend naturally and emphatically, some from the poll, some not, but the quarters will engage and muscle building will begin with long lasting effect and happy results. I have owned my balancing rein for years And I get a lovely outline with no effort on my part And the horse carries himself beautifullyThe reason I am sending this post is to ask if anyone has one they no longer use I would love to buy it from you as they no longer make them. Thanks
I have mine and haven't used it for years. Will sell. Didn't realise they are not made anymore.

newrider.com