Adding more protein to a fibre based diet

tasha

i'd rather be riding.
Jul 10, 2001
Petersfield, Hants., UK
I try and keep my girls on a fibre based diet as it is cheaper, keeps the weight on best and keeps them sane. However with the lighter evenings I am starting more work with Kally to develop her topline, and want to give her more protein to help this. She is looking great condition-wise: you wouldnt believe she is a 21yo TBx kept at grass. What would be the best way to add a little extra protein to her diet?

She currently gets:

Adlib hay
1 feed a day of 200g Fast fibre, 1/2 scoop Applechaff and a dollop of oil. (She was on sugar beet too but now its warmed up and the grass coming through Ive cut that out)

Im thinking of swapping chaff for Alfa A or something along these lines.

Im using a chambon to lunge her 2-3 times a week, one session of which I school her afterwards. Lunging is max 20 mins (unless she is going daft and I have to lunge for longer until she calms down!!) and the schooling another 20mins or so. She is so far reacting very well and her way of going has improved, but it is early days on the muscle improving front.

Thanks in advance! :)

This is a tricky one as high protien can often mean high calories which you dont necessarily need in your horses current condition!

Switching over to the alpha-A range may be a good option.Maybe the alpha A lite in the orange bag??? It is quite pricey though as it is what i feed my yearling (£11.50 where i am)

Linseed is a source of protein and can be brought from simple systems, or similar natural/herbal horse websites. It is, however, conditioning if fed in higher quantities.

You could try Dengie's alfalfa pellets or grass pellets. These are about 12-14% protein, unmollased and can be fed soaked, so they could replace your sugar beet ration to make the feed pallatable and provide a lower energy protein than the beet does.

I cant think of anything else, and i myself am interested if anybody else on board can come with any ideas too!!:cool:

i spoke to allan and page about a v similar situation - had honey on fast fibre and wanted to add protein for bringing back into work...they suggested the dengie alpha-a range too :)

i ended up swapping her from the fast fibre to ride and relax though as she decided to stop eating the fast fibre :rolleyes: and i'll add alpha-a once i've used up some chaff i already had

You're right that swapping the chaff for alfalfa will up the protein. Alfa Lite doesn't have extra molasses, or you could give her Alfa Oil & not bother adding extra oil.

The other thing that I've found fantastic is Top Spec Comprehensive balancer (or maybe, given her age, the veteran version but I've never tried that so I can't recommend it). It looks expensive but you feed so little of it that a sack lasts a long time & worked out on a daily basis it's very reasonable.

I currently use a supplement by Equimins, recommended by someone on here; Diamond Omega. That will add protein, provide vits and mins and, as an added bonus it supports the joints and gives their coat a nice shine! Works out cheap too!
I'm really very pleased with it so far.

Thanks all :D

I've been doing some research. The Applechaff she is currently on is 6.5% protein. Alfa A Lite is 13%, and Countrywide own brand Alfalfa chaff Here is 10% - but half the price of Alfa A Lite :)

I dont really want to add a vit and min supp as the Fast Fibre (which I love, as do the girls!!) had all this in - its one reason I feed it!

So, I think I will be popping down to Countrywide once Ive run my chaff down a bit more, as I think the Alfalfa chaff is my best bet, balancing economy with product quality.

I'd be very surprised if the Fast Fibre fed at 200g a day was providing anywhere near the vitamins & minerals she should be having (though I agree about them loving it, my two lick the bowl for ages after it's gone). It also doesn't look like it covers a very wide spectrum. Maybe think about feedng a balancer or supplement at half rate?

Ditto a change to one of Dengie's Alfa feeds as they are high in protein yet you can find a feed suitably low in energy and high in fibre for your horse. I love the Dengie fibre feeds!

x

Grass nuts are brilliant and Im sure if you ask your feed merchant could get hold of some (there is usually a local company producing them for farmers). Just need to monitor that energy in = energy out or you could have problems but if you get the balance right, they are great.

I'd be very surprised if the Fast Fibre fed at 200g a day was providing anywhere near the vitamins & minerals she should be having (though I agree about them loving it, my two lick the bowl for ages after it's gone). It also doesn't look like it covers a very wide spectrum. Maybe think about feedng a balancer or supplement at half rate?

just for info... allan and page nutritionalist recommened that i feed a min of 1kg dry weight a day - but ideally between 1kg and 2kgs - to ensure enough vits and mins for a 16hh ISH 590kgs...

i also agree with the alfa a - my boy has been on conditioning cubes, alfa a speedibeet all winter. We've now swapped th cubes for Baileys lowcal balancer and im slowly stepping down the sbeet. Last year he was on safe&sound as a chaff, but this year im planning on keeping him on the alfa a as he has a higher workload.

I think you definately need to consider a balancer or supplement though - the lowcal provides good levels of protein in itself so maybe look into this? Why not give Baileys feedline a call, they are very helpful.

One thing to watch: my previous horse didnt react well to alfa a, apparantly some mares dont as it is oestrogenic and can heighten symptoms of seasons. My gelding is grand on it tho. :)

just for info... allan and page nutritionalist recommened that i feed a min of 1kg dry weight a day - but ideally between 1kg and 2kgs - to ensure enough vits and mins for a 16hh ISH 590kgs...

Thanks posie, that would sound more reasonable. I bet it soaks up to a huge volume & weighs a ton!

I recently started feeding Grass Nuts, made by a local company (there will be one in your area no doubt). It contains 19% protein and goes down very well. It is also extremely cost-effective. I paid something like £8 for a 25Kg bag. When soaked, a small amount makes a huge bowlful.

newrider.com