advice needed from horse owners in the south west

lovethosehorses

Nov 18, 2008
South Manchester
When is the worst time for the biting flies? I had a riding holiday in north Devon last June and most of the day seemed to be spent getting flies off the horses. I want to avoid that time- any suggestions as to when would be safe (or better) dates to book? Thanks

I think the actual horse flies (as opposed to the bog standard annoying normal black flies) are around from about June to August - horrible little critters :mad::mad::mad:. I moved Mimi to a new yard last year and the only downside is that there are horse flies everywhere, they are maddening to the horses :(:(

The flies were around until Sept/early Oct last year in South Devon - aaargh!
But as someone at my yard said, in winter, we're all complaining about the early nights and cold etc, in summer its the flies! No satisfying us really lol!

Its Exmoor so maybe they have a particular problem. The first year I went it was mid August and OK, then May and I think that was OK, but last year i went late June early July and it was terrible. You expect the odd fly but it was constant, flicking flies from yours and other people's horses.(and being expected to by the ride leaders) whcib detracted somewhat from the riding and scenery!
Anyway, I better get something booked or this holiday will never happen!

newrider.com