advice needed...help!

lil chicken

Apr 10, 2009
sunny nottinghamshire :)
Hi,

I'm 14 years old and just starting my GCSE courses-the thing is I don't have a clue what I am going to do when I'm older...

I know what i would love to be...a riding instructor,livery yard owner,look after abused horses-the problem is my parents are dead against it("you won't make enough money/you should do it as a hobby")

Can anyone think of any jobs that involve horses but would please my parents as well?

Thanks x

Hi,

I'm 14 years old and just starting my GCSE courses-the thing is I don't have a clue what I am going to do when I'm older...

I know what i would love to be...a riding instructor,livery yard owner,look after abused horses-the problem is my parents are dead against it("you won't make enough money/you should do it as a hobby")

Can anyone think of any jobs that involve horses but would please my parents as well?

Thanks x

Dito! :rolleyes:

well im doing my GCSEs at the mo and i would suggest doing some horsey work experience to see what you enjoy?

some suggestions: equine physiotherapy cna be profitable if you get really good.

however my plan is to marry someone really rich who can pay for my ponies :D

How about the business side of it all? Going into all the advertising, and selling of horsey items. Or maybe a saddle fitter? Farrier? (they make a lot of money!!)

I was the same as you...I wanted to go into the horsey world for work. But I decided against it as I wanted to enjoy horses, not feel like it's a job. The pay pretty much stinks as well!! So much work, for so little money!

You have to make a decision really...horsey career, or your own horses. Because it'll be tough to have both! It is possible to have both...but you probably won't be left with much in your pocket!

Last edited:
I'm afraid I'm going to be terribly boring and say that your parents are right....but if its what you are dead set on doing, there's no harm in doing it for a while. As for GCSEs, the most important thing at this stage is to get a really good solid education behind you so that if, for what ever reason the horsy .things don't work out, you always have something to fall back on.

If you are going to own a yard or run a rescue, you need to have a good business education. You'll need to understand law, finance, insurance, etc. At this stage, you should focus on gettting the best GCSEs you can, and worry about your horsy work later.

Most jobs that are hands-on with horses don't pay well. There are lots on the edge of the horse world, though, that pay pretty well - equine insurance, feed company nutritionist, saddler, horse-racing admin, etc.

Thanks for your replies:)

I did think about becoming a vet but can't stand the sight of needles and blood-a slight set back:D

Physiotherapy seems quite a good suggestion(I know Zara Phillips did it)-I will look into it :)

You need to decide what you want to do and not let what anyone else says affect your decision. Try and do as best you can in your GCSEs and A-levels (if you sit them) as that gives you the best chance at achieving what ever you want.

If you want to be a riding instructor or yard owner I imagine you'll need to know a bit about how businesses are run so what about doing business management? Or if you like animals and a bit of biology then what about Zoology, Vet med or vet nurse? Yes they aren't all horsey BUT it will help you down the line. Try to think of courses like that which might not be entirely relevant to horses but will help you later on (it is always good to have something to fall back on if "Plan A" doesn't work out). Meanwhile you can work towards BHS exams or help at a yard (i don't know about horsey type courses and exams tbh)?

If you'd rather study something related to horses then go for it, doesn't matter what your parents think, its what you want to do with the rest of your life - you might really need to prove yourself though!!!
My mum has always pushed me in the "academic" subjects, i'm good at art and i enjoy it so probably would have done well in an art course but my mum never liked that thought and never paid any attention to my art, she liked that I got high grades in it but that was it. I'm lucky i really like biology too so ended up taking that further, partly to shut my mum up but the fact is i would not have survived if i didn't enjoy it (despite these rotten exams!).

You'll know what sort of subjects you enjoy at school now so sit down and have a wee think about it all, speak to a careers advisor (the schools usually have links to them) or teachers etc about what you want to do and perhaps someone will be able to help you make things clearer and point you in the right direction!

Hi,

Thanks x

im in the same problem as you i am 14 and want to be a instructor when i am older my parents said i dont have a choice and i have to do my Alevals this is somthing i am totally against but i have to do it my parents also want me to go to uni however i have had my mind set on not going to uni forever and i dont think that will ever change
i want to when i am older to buy young horse and sell them on a horse dealer as such but also to be a free lance insstructor

newrider.com