Advice on feeding colt

xxmaggiexx

Apr 28, 2009
my colt willl be one at the end of this month ,i want to make sure he is getting everything he needs ,he is currently on haylege,mollichop and yearling cubes any sugestions on any feed that would benifit him more than what he is already getting but wont overload his system
any advice would be really appriciated :):)
:):)

over the winter i was feeding my youngsters our local tackshops own make mix called superstart with alfa a oil and a lil bit of speedy beet, they did really well on it, they just get a tiny bit of superstart mix now as we have tonnes of grass and they are fat enough on just that really. They are 1 yr and 2 yrs now :D

finnley will be 1 on the 30th of may :) i havnt decided when to castrate him ,hes getting cheekier by the day
i just want whats best for him :) the little devil he is haha

my sec a was gelded last year at 13 months as he was really full of himself all the time and causing mischief !!my id x was gelded last year at 6 months before the coltiness started !!! they are both fantastically well behaved and lovely to handle now. What breed / type is your colt. With my id x my vet said if he was cut early he would end up a little taller, if i left him entire he would possibly end up chunkier but not as tall !! I prob would have kept them both entire for longer if i had my own place , i kept my sec c entire till he was 4.5yrs and he is stunning now, he was hard work at times tho:D

yer i keep him at a livery yard so he needs to be castrated Asap ,his sire is a 17.2 IDx which i bred to my welshx mare,i can see alot of his sire in him rather than my mare altho i think he has her attitude haha i would like to keep him entire for a while longer but if he is going to get the benifit of the summer turnout he will need to be castrated unless i can get him in a field with no mares,but the livery yard i am at mixes geldings and mares in the same field so it will be quite tricky

If your on good grazing, this should be enough for your colt alongside a multi vit/min supplement. I wouldn't over do it with hard feeds, particularly those specific for youngstock as they can cause rapid growth spurts and potentially damage joints.

I have always had young horses and non of mine were ever fed special youngstock feeds and are all now well grown (and in some cases still growing!) and healthy.

newrider.com