advice on using passoa?

Tots N Dots

Nov 27, 2005
Planet Pickle
advice on using pessoa?

please?
vet has recommended it for Pickle, I have been putting it on at its loosest setting, I "get" the general principal of it? but need to know I am doing it right :smile:

just to add, even with it on loosest setting Pickle reaches for the floor with his nose for the majority of the time but still seems heavy on the forehand? is this normal with a pessoa?

Last edited:
I have used every gadget out their at some point or another but can you let us know why the vet suggested the pessoa to help with this problem.
What is your horse doing exactly that you don't like?
Pessoas are ok but can't replace good riding.

Pessoas are ok but can't replace good riding.
cant ride him :wink: vet has suggested it to make him stretch out his back and build muscle round his pelvis and increase ligament strength too
If he is heavy on the forehand make sure you are pushing him on enough, its a bit like riding, not enough leg and the horse will tend to fall on its forehand.
thanks EML, will try and get some video if it doesnt snow here :) is it the case that I need him stretching long on low before I can start to bring him up again? (if you get what I mean)
Hi
Tell to your vet that Pessoa is not good, the best think is good lunging, the Pessoa is too hard on the horse, the horse needs the time to develope.
we have been lunging him well and need to move on a step, he is 7 and has been ridden from about 3 and a half, we are rehabilitating after health problems, he has been out of work since April, will have a look at the link though thanks

I know Normy but if it does help him I am willing to give it a try ;)

Last edited:
I use a pessoa on horses that are lacking back muscle as most RS customers are not capable of working them correctly and consistantly with a soft back and this a good way to let them build up the correct muscles without further riding. I do feel a pessoa is one of the few gadgets I would use but it is essential that the horse and lunger can work forwards first before trying ...lots of horses amble around and this cannot ever help them.

Before putting on the pessoa I feel (personal thoughts only) that the lunger should be capable of raising and lowering the horses head, doing direct transitions and creating medium trot on the lunge. It is not a 'fix all' but a useful tool for experienced users

sorry I am going to sound dim here but what exactly do you mean by "direct" transitions?

I dont tend to like using gadgets if I am honest, but he does seem to go well with the pessoa on,

I probably dont push him as much as I should be doing, I am wary of him hurting :( his walk is awfull always has been unless he actually WANTS to get to somewhere, its so slow it drives me nuts even under saddle, I try not to nag him as that will end up with him just ignoring me full stop, I can ask him to speed up or slow down the trot as I require, so i do believe I get a good medium trot out of him if I ask it of him, when I get him working correctly I can mostly get him to lower or raise his head as required, with the pessoa on, (although so loose I am sure its not really doing much apart from giving him the idea something is there) his head is mostly long and low position.

I get worried as he seems to have been on Tigger mode at the new yard, I hate all the pieces of rope about incase he jumps about at any stage and gets himself tangled up in it? :redface: (I do have an over enhanced perception of danger :redface:)

spose the thing is that I can read about stuff till I am blue in the face but untill I see something being done I struggle to "get" what people mean? :(

I believe you should be able to do anything with a horse on the lunge you want to/can do when riding. Direct transitions halt to trot, walk to canter and downwards for the more experienced horse, leg yielding when increasing or decreasing circle size, proper medium steps in trot not going faster but horse lowering frame and lengthening stride.

Sadly people often think they can lunge when the horse goes in a rough circle at the speed they want (this is not aimed at the OP but a general rant!) Lunging well is a talent akin to riding well that is seldom taught and learnt!

We often suggest people have a lesson with their horse using our pessoa before buying one as it does not suit all horses and does need to be fitted correctly to the horse level of schooling

Last edited:
thanks for explaining,

since my accident some years ago I am a nervous nelly :unsure::redface:

as far as lunge work goes we are progressing but he isnt that well schooled, I wouldnt ask for halt to trot or walk to canter when riding him so I am certainly not going to get it on the lunge as yet (holds hands up and wishes you were closer so I could come for lessons :redface:) at the moment getting him to concentrate is enough of a challenge. and I start without the pessoa till he is concentrating,

I dont know whats up with him at the moment, everything seems to be hard work, I think he is bored, but being nervous.. although I would love to take him out just for walks in hand? I daren't as he starts spinning and dancing, then I start to feel sick and it all just escalates, its not fun :(

he is getting a serious lesson in manners at the moment as I am clamping down big time.

I believe you should be able to do anything with a horse on the lunge you want to/can do when riding. Direct transitions halt to trot, walk to canter and downwards for the more experienced horse, leg yielding when increasing or decreasing circle size, proper medium steps in trot not going faster but horse lowering frame and lengthening stride.

Sadly people often think they can lunge when the horse goes in a rough circle at the speed they want (this is not aimed at the OP but a general rant!) Lunging well is a talent akin to riding well that is seldom taught and learnt!

Gosh - I wouldn't begin to know how to ask for leg yield on the lunge. We're only just beginning to do it from the saddle.

I'm OK with transitions, although canter is very problematic at the moment, halt and rein-back, but so much of the stuff you say is way over my head ...

Gosh - I wouldn't begin to know how to ask for leg yield on the lunge. We're only just beginning to do it from the saddle.

I'm OK with transitions, although canter is very problematic at the moment, halt and rein-back, but so much of the stuff you say is way over my head ...

Try and get a tape/disc of Jenny Loriston-clarke Lunging/long reining!!! if you want to see what you can do:smile:

LindaAd

We actually teach our horses to leg yield when still on the lunge and then they understand as soon as we feel they are ready under saddle.

Having taught 'over' as basic manners teach the horse that the lunge whip can move them over as well as forward so that pointing at the shoulder moves the horse out. Then practice spiralling in and out on the lunge.

Tots and Dots don't be afraid to use lots of transitions on the lunge to get them lighter and you may be amazed how enthusiastic horses can get once they understand you want them to go directly to trot...just be very enthusiastic with your voice and use what ever words you use to start trot, practice trot, a few paces of walk, brief halt and trot again.

Tots and Dots don't be afraid to use lots of transitions on the lunge to get them lighter and you may be amazed how enthusiastic horses can get once they understand you want them to go directly to trot...just be very enthusiastic with your voice and use what ever words you use to start trot, practice trot, a few paces of walk, brief halt and trot again.
trouble is keeping him out of flat out gallop with tail over his back is my main issue right now, :D

as things stand he will walk, trot, canter and halt out on the circle, we can get a nice medium trot and a relaxed canter once he is listening, holding his attention is the difficult thing, I do lots of transitions to keep him listening,he will go "out" when asked, I need to go learn more :(

newrider.com