After horror sharers previously year why am I considering another one??

I think it's quite an ambitious task to find someone to share or part-loan a youngster with the idea of them bringing him on. Training a young horse is a huge task. To do it well, it takes over your whole life. The learning curve is huge. It's a real skill to have. Plus, if you're any good, every day spent with the young horse increases his value. There's quite a good living to be made in bringing on youngsters - I'm just not sure people with the skills you need would really want to put all that into someone else's horse. Plus - the young horse needs absolute consistency. I certainly wouldn't want either of my 2 trained by one person one day, someone else the next.

Realistically, if you don't have the skills, time and determination to bring on a youngster - if what you need is an older horse... then that's what you should get. It doesn't do the horse any favours to be in the wrong home long-term.

Rojeth said:
as for time wasters - i myself have been in the situation where the horse was obviously not right for me, and as an aside, i will always try and follow-up the trial every time with a thankyou and a yes or no. Often however, instead of telling the owner they did not like their horse, people find it easier to either ignore the issue and not reply, or tell them it is too far to travel, or other such excuse. would you like to be told every time that your horse is flawed because of this or that?

Er.....yes I would prefer some honesty, or I cant fix the thing that needs fixing!!!!!!

On the subject of time wasters, I once answered an ad for a share horse. I talked to the owner on the phone for about 15 minutes and arranged a viewing at the weekend. In the meantime I looked at a map and realised that it was realistically too far to travel. I then called the woman (with 2 days notice) so say that in hindsight I realise that I lived too far away and apologised. I thought that I was being honest and polite but she let rip at me for wasting her time and said that she had refused her horse to several other people because I was coming to see him. How she could think that I was the perfect person after a 15 min conversation I don't know.

I have shared a couple of horses in the past and to be honest found it very difficult with their owners. The horses weren't ideal either and I think that this is where lots of problems lie. The sharer wants to make the horse suitable as there are not that many opportunities to share, and the owner wants the perfect person for their horse. Good sharers are out there, but be expected to look hard to find that perfect match for your horse.

KateWooten - I think I have confused things - I don't want someone to actually bring him on, he is not a youngster but I want to show him and do some dressage so I am trying to do a lot of schooling with him to improve his fitness and way of going. I want someone who is good enough to continue his education while they ride him or all my efforts will be wasted if someone is riding him on there days and letting him just amble along. I was just trying to cut a long story short!

I agree with Hackedoff I would prefer someone to be honest all the way. At the end of the day everyone has there own opinion but if your honest then not much can go wrong.

Mary Poppins - that was mean of them and clearly not true - like you say they wouldnt have turned people away when they hadnt even met you. If someone called me 2 days before I would be gratefull that they let me know.

Anyway I have now decided to not get another horse so I wont have to get a sharer after all. :)

Last edited:
i shared horses for 10 years with three different owners and it worked pretty well.

first one, Ben, only niggle was owner kept changing his availability then sold him

second one, had 3 fab horses so i had sole use of the one out of favour

third one, owner had young children and not enough time so that worked perfectly

i was very lucky but then i tried to do the sort of work theyw anted done on them and be flexible.

i think you can get it right if youfind the right person andyou have the same goals. all i wanted to dow as hack out gently andfor the three horses I shared, particularly the second lot who were showjumpers and never got out, i did them a big favour as they got long hacks and fun and relaxation instead of nothing but school school jump jump.

Perhaps you should move to Northampton.
Before getting Ed i would happily have had a share horse. I still would if the owner wanted the horse to event and it showed promise. My problem was the reverse of your concern. The ones I looked at the owners would have been the ones undoing all the work I put in. :(
There are more experienced potential sharers out there just a bit tricky to find.

Thanks DavidH its good to hear there are people out there that want to improve a shared horse too, I will just keep my ear to the ground and if someone like you comes along then I will snap them up :D

I know I just couldnt share very easily, my horse is a def mummys boy and can be fussy in getting caught - I dont even need to shout him he sees me and comes galloping over - he is definetly a one person horse!!
I like things done a certain way and just irritates me when not, but if time and money were an issue then would rather do it than sell him:D

sound slike a crapopy experience with sarers then =[. i would love to share a horse. i've brought Solo on from only being able to trot under saddle*would canter, but would buck and gallop off* would love to share but have like no money! which is lame =[.

good luck in finding a sharer =]]

xjesxsolox

I don't want someone to actually bring him on, he is not a youngster but I want to show him and do some dressage so I am trying to do a lot of schooling with him to improve his fitness and way of going. I want someone who is good enough to continue his education while they ride him or all my efforts will be wasted if someone is riding him on there days and letting him just amble along. I was just trying to cut a long story short!

Ahhhh - yes, I see. Quite right too. That would be my big huge worry with a sharer too ... even amongst my riding buddies, who are great people, the number who just let their horse slop along any old how is quite alarming - you'd be like two steps forward and 2 steps back every week trying to get your horse to work properly again.

Having 2 young horses at once, I do think that if possible, it's so much nicer to be able to concentrate on one full-time, than two part time. I'm in quite a unique position of being able to devote myself to these two 24/7 - I don't have to work or study this year or next - so I just study 'training young horses'. Even so - I find myself split between the two of them. Time isn't the issue - it's more like emotional involvement. I find if I'm working hard with joe on something one week, then Rosie is really quite neglected - ridden yes, but the passion isn't there.

So, I guess I'm quite pleased for you that you're going to stick with the one :)

newrider.com