Ales eye

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
It's back watering this morning after a week of being fine and is the slightest bit squinty.

The vet didn't seem to think it was serious last time she came and suggested it would clear up on its own.

I can see a tiny flec on his cornea, last time there was 5.

I've started him on the eye drops again and I've got bute if needed, perhaps I didn't do the drops for long enough last time but the vet didn't say how long to continue.

Some people have recommended I get some golden eye from the chemist, not sure if this is worth a go too?

Or just get the vet out again?

Hank had a gunky eye a few months back, it had yellow snot coming out of it but he was not squinty at all so after talking to my vet on the phone and sending her a pic she suggested the active ingredient in the ointment she would prescribe if I wanted it, I just picked some up from the (human)chemist, I put it in for 3 days and it cleared but then came back again after a couple of days without, so did another 5 days and it has been fine ever since. I did also leave his forelock plaited for a good while so it wasn't reinfecting it. I did find a tick up behind his ear, so we think he had been scratching on things a lot because of that and that's how he was getting stuff in the eye.

The ointment I got wasn't golden eye, though a pervious vet told me to use that (and I did successfully with Phoenix), I just got the same active ingredient my current vet suggested this time.

Reactions: MrA
We used to use Orbenin (sp). Which was excellent stuff. Don't think they even make it now. The stuff they use now is Opticlox. I have to say it's not as good. If it doesn't clear up the vet can inject antibiotics into the skin around the eye.

Reactions: MrA
Thanks guys, it's very difficult to tell how it is when I only see him in the dark with a headtorch. I'll see him in the light tomorrow and see how it looks and go from there. Thanks for the advice!

newrider.com