Allen and Page Fast Fibre

chickitta

Sep 6, 2008
Berkshire...
Do any of you feed Allen and Page fast fibre... if you do, how much do you feed, do you feed it on its own or with something else, and why did you choose to feed this type of feed...:)

Yep - Rosei loves it :)

During the winter she was on about 1/2 stubb scoop (dry weight) which swelled to about 1.5 scoops after soaking.

I stopped over the last month or so, but have now started to feed very very wet (as in a scoop in a B&Q bucket and topped up to the top with water) - I then feed a scoop of the slop with the rest of her feed :)

My two have half a scoop (dry weight) between them. Jen just gets a little bit to mix her pink poweder into. Jasper get it with his stud balancer. They both love it :)

Just started on it. Both girls absolutely love it. I wanted an alternative to chaff and lo-cal balancer and this stuff is great, plus it contains MSM/biotin/garlic/herbs/linseed/beet all in one bag.

I feed about a half a scoop dry to each of them - currently after riding/working but in the winter it will be their main meal.

I changed to this over Dodson & Horrell because of the amount of feed needed, I didn't want to be feeding 2.5 kgs of Safe and Sound which had been what was recommended, I also wanted something that would suit a 15.2 ID/conn (very good doer) and a 14.2 ish QH/TB (ok doer). This seems to do the trick.

Same as above, when I compared feedstuff's I found it was cheaper but contained the same as feeding Hi-Fi and a vit/min balancer.

During winter I fed my 13.1hh New Forest x TB just under 1 scoop (dry weight) but that was the only thing he got.

Piccolo my dartmoor yearling had half scoop (dry weight) with NAF Youngstock supplement.

I don't feed it at the moment as i don't feed anything during spring/summer.

Can I ask, does it have any heating qualities? Arnie is intolerant with sugar and cant have any beet pulp (even the speedybeet) or alfabeet and I would like some sort of soggy wet feed to give him his supplement with:). Obviously if it is going to blow his brain then I'd give it a miss:eek:

Skippy's Mum I can't promise how Arnie will react but Jim's fine on it & he gets hyper on sugarbeet or Speedibeet. Failing that is he ok with alfalfa? Dengie do alfalfa nuts that soak to form a mash, as do Simple Systems if you have a stockist near you.

I fed it to Forest in winter. I used a scoop of dry feed and then soaked, so fed him more wet feed (if that makes sense).

It didn't heat him up at all, and was good for his weight, I did change during winter as I found he needed more to keep weight on. :)

Alfa beet blows his brain and simple systems dont have a stockist anywhere near here:(. I might give it a go based on the fact that Jim and Arnie seem to have similar issues;). And at least I am aware of it now so I know what to look for and what is causing it if he goes loopy:D

Can I ask, does it have any heating qualities? Arnie is intolerant with sugar and cant have any beet pulp (even the speedybeet) or alfabeet and I would like some sort of soggy wet feed to give him his supplement with:). Obviously if it is going to blow his brain then I'd give it a miss:eek:

Nope...after talking to Allen & Page it is suitable for laminitics too and has less sugar in it then healthy hooves/happy hoof etc does and they're approved by the laminitic trust.

:)

Definatley non heating and very low sugar and starch. I feed it to a mare with metabolic syndrome who cant even have carrots and she is fine on it. It has half the sugar of Hi Fi Lite.

Non heating too ime, no molasses or barley. Give them a ring, they're very helpful, I got samples and a voucher against my first purchase too.

Ive just started feeding it and they both love it! Its perfect for mixing in powder suppliments (and bute!!) with low calories and low starch.

Ive changed onto it mainly for the companion as she doesnt really need feeding in the summer but need to get suppliments into her.

My friend has also started hers on it and it is proving to be an excellent choice for her rescue pony who shes had for over 20yrs but suffers from navicular, laminitis, breathing probs and weight issues!! She eats it with suppliments and medication in, and doesnt make her cough!!

OP if you are considering any Allen and age feeds i would advise you call them. They are really helpful and friendly and dont only recommend their own products but what should suit the horse/workload.:)

Can I just ask about the recommended feeding rate for FF? Just wondering how long a bag would last...

Thanks! :)

I bought it for the old pony we had thinking it would be good for her as she didnt have much teeth.

She hated it, then we put her back onto high fibre nuts and she eat them, even with hardly any teeth :rolleyes::rolleyes:

She hated anything that had to be soaked, every speedi-beet :confused: Strange pony :eek:

Looking on the back of the bag, the amount varies tremendously, ie Ben who is 14.1hh and 400kilos can have between 0.5k and 1.5k dried weight!
So I think it depends on what else is being fed?

Personally he has half a scoop dried soaked in 1 scoop of water; that seems more than enough for him.

I think one stubbs scoop weighs in at 1.5k of FF so a 20 k bag feeding at that rate would last about 13 days.( I think!)

Thanks! Think I'll give them a call.

She's a good doer & certainly doesn't need cals, but grazing is poor so want to ensure she's getting vits and mins. She wouldn't be getting anything else besides stroppy mare supp, so would have to feed enough to ensure she gets sufficient vits and mins.

Looking at FF as a cheaper alternative to Topspec lite / D&H etc but wouldn't work out much less if a bag only lasts 2 weeks.

It's all so bloomin' complicated!

newrider.com