Alphabet Soup training levels - what does it all mean?

k9 Equine

Mar 28, 2001
Visit site
Need some European (I think) help here. Hunting for that first horse and want something with dressage foundations. I've come across quite a variety of "jargon." I understand the concepts and designations of Training Level 1,2,3,4; First Level 1,2,3,4; Second Level 1,2,3,4; Third and Fourth Levels; Prix St. George; Intermediare 1/2 and Grand Prix .... but what does showing/training/working at levels A, L, M, S, etc. mean? Are these european designations? If you know, please help me to make heads or tails of the alphabet soup.

Much appreciated!

~ KE

In Austria we have the A,L,M,S system. A is the lowest level, they expect you to ride your horse in an outline in all gaits and mantain it through bends. There are no hard moves, just circles, diagonals and so on. In L you need more collection, be able to do extended trot and canter, small circles, walk to canter transitions and the like. M is pretty hard already - you need to pass and half pass, do flying lead changes (with a few strides in between) etc.
S is the hardest: canter pirouettes, tempi changes,...
Each of the levels has several tests and some are harder than others. I.e L1, L2.... L1 would be the easiest L and L3 (I think) the hardest.
And after S you start off to international levels - Grand Prix etc.

[Edited by Silvia on 1st Jun 2001 at 05:46 AM]

Hi k9 equine. Well Sylvia answered your question but I thought you might want to know how the A, L, M, S system 'translates' into the system we have in the UK, just in case, when you're hunting, you come across them!
A - this is like preliminary level.
L - novice and elementary
M - medium/advanced medium
S - advanced medium/advanced

Hope this is useful, even though it doesn't answer your question!

Fiona.

newrider.com