Alternatives to tinsel, that aren't actually tinsel?

PePo

Jun 4, 2014
So, I've been stitched up royally at work and now need to get decorations for a charity Christmas tree we are sponsoring at work (I've also got to go along on the day & help decorate it for PR purposes... hence the stitching up) but it's been made very clear thar I'm not allowed to put tinsel on this tree.

Are there 'non-tinsel, tinsel alternatives'? If so, where could I get them from over the weekend? I'm a bit concerned as the tree is apparently 10 foot tall and there are only so many baubles one can put on a tree that size, before it looks like it's lacking the all important tinsel ... (I'm bitter I lost the tinsel argument, can you tell? :D )

Also, how many lights do you think an 10 foot tree will need?

I've never been responsible for decorating a tree in my life, so I'm totally clueless

I need to get something over the weekend, so I can't mail order either.

Chains of beads?

Trees actually look nice without tinsel too hehe, more elegant - you could go all out with lights and baubles and ornaments or keep it simple :)

I love tinsel - specially the old kind. I have my Nan's tinsel which is pre-second world war and some made during. It is not like the stuff from the 1970's tho I love that too!
Sorry no help at all - just waffling...

I love tinsel, bit not on my tree. I have red and gold chains of beads and I think it always looks fab!

I'm another no tinsel on the tree girl, I've never used it, my tree is decorated with a collection of baubles some of which were my nan's really old glass ones, some are homemade and some are newer that I've bought over the last 30 years or so, but never tinsel, just tiny fairy lights and only ever white ones. :)
As to how many you'll need for a ten foot tree I've no idea sorry, mine is only about five foot and I use one string of 40 lights.

We have large trees in the shop where I work.

Paper chains look great, also beads and we use garlands as well to decorate the really big trees. Fruit and cone garlands draped here and there, they look really nice and fill the tree up in between the baubles.

We don't use tinsel. We have white lights which look lovely and a string of silver beads. These fill the tree up nicely in between the baubles. We also hang candy canes on the tree.

I don't like tinsel either - it's too spiky :D I have silver beads (I just tried googling<silver beads for Christmas tree> and there are plenty around). You could have lights - white or coloured - too.

We don't use tinsel. We have white lights which look lovely and a string of silver beads. These fill the tree up nicely in between the baubles. We also hang candy canes on the tree.

Yes I have candy canes too and I tie ribbon around three sticks of cinnamon and put that on the tree too.

My mother has tinsel dating from her childhood which she insists on using every year. It looks like rope with the odd silver thread. Our tree is mainly covered in stuff the kids have made.

My mother has tinsel dating from her childhood which she insists on using every year. It looks like rope with the odd silver thread. Our tree is mainly covered in stuff the kids have made.

It will be the old stuff that I have that was my mum's and before that my nan's. It isn't like the newer stuff at all.

I'm starting a campaign: Say YES to tinsel:p lol
Edited to add - I've not actually seen it in our local shops for years. Wasn't sure if you could still buy it? Last time we saw some it looked more like fringing than the older stuff. (You can tell I don't buy Christmas decorations very often).

I'm another no tinsel on the tree girl, I've never used it, my tree is decorated with a collection of baubles some of which were my nan's really old glass ones, some are homemade and some are newer that I've bought over the last 30 years or so, but never tinsel, just tiny fairy lights and only ever white ones. :)
As to how many you'll need for a ten foot tree I've no idea sorry, mine is only about five foot and I use one string of 40 lights.

I have my mum and nan's old decorations too. Some of the baubles are beautiful but sooooo delicate, they would break at nothing. Made from what looks like very very thin glass. I think it's so nice to have a continuity about it. My mum doesn't have her tree up nowadays but I like having some of her decorations. OH and I make one every year too or buy the odd one from charities. It's nice building up a collection.

I'm another that avoids tinsel on a tree, I like white lights and beads with some ornaments.
Tinsel has its place, normally on the ponies ;)

Trewsers I'll back that campaign!!!

I love tinsel!! I'm also an eclectic multi coloured girl when it comes to my tree! My sister always does her silver and purple and it looks lovely but I like a multitude of colour on mine!!

Popcorn and cranberry garlands are lovely on the tree too :)

newrider.com