am i being a little unfair?

know how you feel - want to enter my 15.2 in a couple of smaller classes this year. Had doubts as competing against smaller horses and younger riders but in the end it will build up my horses confidence and in your case your confidence and there is no age/height limit so I say go for it:D

No idea about the legalities but if you can - go for it. Its never unfair for older people to compete against kids, at least its not unfair on the kids :D.

Where are you going with a novice minimus class, something like that might even persuade us to have a go at show jumping :D

well the class is open to all ages, just if we had a break through and ended up in the placings:p, id feel a bit mean, i know i sort of shouldnt, but there will be a 9yrold from our yard against me, and if i beat her, i just know there will be snarly comments...:eek::rolleyes:

well im always against little kids in my classes i do.. and as i seem to NEVER go clear they dont really mind as they always beat me anyhow!! To fast for my leggy 16.2 :)

Why not just do a few clear rounds, or don't they have them where you are? Or if you're embarrassed about competing against littlies (I wouldn't be, they usually win!) ask if you can go hc (that means you're going round the course, but you're not competing).

But really, as long as it's within the rules, I'd say just go in for whatever you like. Usually there's a restriction like 'horse and rider not to have won 1st, 2nd or 3rd in a jumping competition', but if that doesn't apply to you there's not problem. And if you do meet snarly comments, just laugh them off, and say "she's a brilliant little rider - she was unlucky not to win" or "I'll compete against someone my own size next time" or anything at all really...

Sorry, I can see this probably too late to be helpful. How did it go?

we havent been yet, tomorow morning, so will post hopefully with some pictures, im not really embarrassed, because i know that i truely am novicey at jumping at the mo. i just have this thing in the back of my mind if you see where im coming from.
i dont know why im getting wound up about it lol i dont normaly care what others think.:p but o well i will enter and see how it goes. i suppose its because i know what my pony and i are truely capable of?

You didn't see us doing the 1ft sj last year then?

Infact.. We were eliminated at fence three, which David had to lead us over, so although we completed the course, we were definately thrashed by the little kiddies you speak of. :p Nobody said anything, infact there were cheers when we eventually got round. :eek:

The clear round has been moved back to the SJ ring this season, IIRC the heights will be 1ft and 2ft later on. If we do jumpies this time round, we'll be in the 1ft class as although we've cracked the workers I think he'll still be scared of the yellow jump. And not only am I more of an adult than you, I'm on the club commitee and I'll be a named person rather than "the adult who couldn't get a big pony over a 1ft straight". :p I'd compete HC if I thought we were going to place, it's an option for you if it bothers you. :)

ETA, we only started cantering the full courses in August too, and he tanked off with me, prior to that we would trot most and canter some approaches.

ah their novice wouldnt be a problem, although the yellow one got us too last year!:p
but its at woodnook, and to me the fences are huuugge!:eek: novice is like shibdens advanced!

Last edited:
Stick with novice then. ;)

I might run off with and hide the yellow jump when it comes to course building this year, it caught so many people out. ;)

The yellow jump is evil! we didnt get my stubborn mare over it at all! mind you it was my choice not to as she was skidding in to the jump with it bucketing it down, and didnt want to risk her legs:rolleyes:

I love david the jumping judge! hes brilliant i was frightened to death at my first show, and he shouted out the fences for me and was really nice. unlike other shows where judges have shouted at us for being in the wrong class, and it was nursery stakes!:eek:

Ooher, youre going to woodnook tomorrow too??

I was going to enter that but no horsey transportation so couldnt!

Just to let you know though, if i was going, i would be entering the minimus with my 13hh pony, and im 19 :D:D
So no dont feel bad!!

x

if there is no age restriction then i wouldn't worry, in fact you might find quite a few other adults on ponies there too.

Have you enquired about local riding clubs as often they will hold jumping comps with very small jumps and you will find it will be lots of adults entering them

well over all a very successfull day!:D
first clear round, lots of refusals, so went round again and had a perfect round:) the first course i have ever finished!:p
minimus jumping, decent round i thought i was quite brave and used my legs and voice (usually just sit there cling on and hope she jumps!) but she though in a dirty stop on me which was uncalled for! but either way to finish with 4faults i was very pleased!:D

i decided to brave the novice! which wasnt so good lol lots of big leaps with me flying out of the saddle, loosing controll and crashing into wings! ouch!:rolleyes: we were eliminated.

still quite happy, it was an improvment for us!:)

all the other riders were about 12 or under! but i wasnt embarrassed i think i proved i really am a novice jumper!:rolleyes:

if there is no age restriction then i wouldn't worry, in fact you might find quite a few other adults on ponies there too.

Have you enquired about local riding clubs as often they will hold jumping comps with very small jumps and you will find it will be lots of adults entering them

we do riding club too, however no shows untill late may.:)

newrider.com