Am I being over sensitive?

nicolaj

Mar 8, 2005
Sydney Australia
Without going into tons of boring waffle, YO's daughter has been schooling my horse for me, which I have been paying for I hasten to add. This is a service offered by the yard, which I have purchased.

Anyway, at the weekend the daugther was thrown from one of their own horses and unfortunatly broke her collar bone. Of course I am concerned for her wellbeing and wish her a speedy recovery and all of that!

Anyway, on FB she made a comment that she had this accident usual comments off her friends, etc. Then her younger sister made a comment about oh well look on the bright side at least you don't have to ride (my horse) anymore.

Well frankly I was quite annoyed by this comment as it wasn't necessary, and if they had a problem providing the service then I should have been told about it.

I made a comment to say "thanks XXXXX", and left it at that thinking I'll have a quiet word at the weekend with YO.

Anyway, the younger sister then put on a comment, along the lines "sorry but sometimes your horse likes to buck and to be an ass".

I know she bucks when asked to canter, but this is due to poor training when she was backed and not schooled properly, which is why I am having her schooled!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:stomp::stomp::stomp::stomp:

I know she is a teenager and at times (sorry I know not all teenagers) can be tactless, but I really don't think it is acceptable to put bitchy comments about livery clients on FB. I will speak to YO/mom at weekend and just mention it along the lines of it there is a problem with riding her then please discuss it with me first.

GRRRRR:stomp::stomp::stomp:

Am I being oversensitive? (sp) sorry long rubbish day at work and now can't spell! LOL!!:giggle:

no, i don't think you are being oversensitive. Your yard is offering a service and all involved should really keep their traps shut and address any comments to you and not post on the internet.

Teenager or not, they HAVE to learn what is polite and appropriate and IMO this silly little girl needs to be taken in hand by parents. After all, it is their business she is potentially damaging. I know i wouldn't take my business to somewhere that i knew harboured such unprofessional people who'd go being derogatory about my horse on the internet!

No i dont think you are. You are paying for a service.
A) they should not be discussing it in a public forum
b) if its bucking and having schooling issues they should not be moaning about it, they supposedly offer a schooling service to correct issues. If they dont like/cant work with it, dont offer the service!

Id be annoyed too :stomp:

Absolutely not! Any issues surrounding your horse are private and not open for public comment unless you choose to make them so.

It is a business transaction and as previously stated if they dont like the business they need to find a new one. If your horse was perfect then it wouldnt need schooling!

no, i don't think you are being oversensitive. Your yard is offering a service and all involved should really keep their traps shut and address any comments to you and not post on the internet.

Teenager or not, they HAVE to learn what is polite and appropriate and IMO this silly little girl needs to be taken in hand by parents. After all, it is their business she is potentially damaging. I know i wouldn't take my business to somewhere that i knew harboured such unprofessional people who'd go being derogatory about my horse on the internet!

^^ This, completely. How unprofessional :stomp:

OMG once again attach of the liverly yard strikes again....

Put it this way You have a bad ankle so you seek medical advise he refers you to a physio for further work. The physio writes on FB 'well if she didn't limp when she walked she would not have the problem' would you accept this I don't think so.

Go to YO tell them you do not appeciate having your horse discussed on an open forum and that it is unprofessional. They should not offer a service then complain when every horse is not perfect.

No i dont think you are. You are paying for a service.
A) they should not be discussing it in a public forum
b) if its bucking and having schooling issues they should not be moaning about it, they supposedly offer a schooling service to correct issues. If they dont like/cant work with it, dont offer the service!

Id be annoyed too :stomp:

This ^

It's unprofessional & potentially damaging if you wanted to sell your horse. I'd say you were due an apology at the very least, & I'd be looking at getting someone else in to do any more schooling - after that comment they can hardly object!

at the very least, & I'd be looking at getting someone else in to do any more schooling - after that comment they can hardly object!

Other liveries have had trainers in to school their horses, and I've just heard bitchy comments about these trainers and how they are no good etc etc, and they can do better. Generally these people have now moved to other yards.

I am on the waiting list for another yard, so have to sit tight for a while, unless somewhere else comes up that is as good as the yard I'm waiting for.

I would be pretty peeved - it's more than likely just a young girl shooting her mouth off, but all the same they need to learn not to do it at some point! What are the YO's like? If they are approachable then I would just have a quiet and amicable word with them - if that was my child I would not want them ruining my business!!!!

I agree with everyone else. Yes I would have a word with the parent/YO. It is totally inappropriate and you deserve an apology at the very least. I would have expected the rider (older sister) to do some damage limitation on FB and say something along the lines of wanting to get better quickly so she can get on your horse again and that she loves riding him. As the rider, whatever she privately thinks of the horse, she should portray a proffesional image to the client at all times.

I'd be worried at the equestrian level.

If the YOs daughter is schooling your horse which bucks and which she doesnt enjoy working with - we need to ask why she is doing it?

Has her mum pressured her?

Does she feel she cant refuse to ride your horse without damaging her personal reputation as a trainer or confessing that she isnt that confident about how to handle the bucking problem?

I would say that this trainer is not the right one for your horse - Exercising by a livery yard is not the same as schooling and re-training. It is sentimental perhaps, but trainers should surely have some sympathy for the animal they are working with and not be aprehensive?

May be you have this all sorted, but I'd like to know more about the diagnosis of why the horse bucks going into canter and what exactly the trainer was proposing to do about it. as well as the chances of success.

Her injury allows you to get advice from other potential trainers -
However, on a gloomy note, one horse I really enjoy riding in walk and trot also sometimes bucks going into canter, which is attributed to a possible accident in he may have had in his youth and is not believed totally curable.

This.

At least your on the waiting list to get out of there, I would be mightily ****ed off reading that, she needs to keep her trap shut. Business matters should never be publicily discussed.

I'm going to buck the trend and say it's a big over-reaction.

It wasn't the person schooling your horse that made the comment, just another member of the family. The rider herself has said nothing.

It was a hurtful comment to read about your horse but it didn't come from the girl herself. I certainly don't folow every facebook comment I get. I fail to see how it is possible to make a decision about this girls suitability to ride your horse based on the throw away comment of somebody else to her situation.

This is a parenting issue of the youngest child, not a one reflecting on the professionaism of the rider herself.

Very unprofessional and quite hurtful.
I would not want someone schooling my horse who had negative thoughts about my horse. While trainers are human and will always prefer working with some horses to others, but finding a trainer who clicks with your horse and enjoys helping him progress would be infinitely preferrable.
In the meantime, you are probably the best person to ride your horse with an instructor on the ground.

Regardless of if it was the younger one who made the comment, the older one could have replied along the lines of she has no problem with the horse bucking. It would make me think they have been discussing the problem.

I would take the opportunity to get someone else to train the horse and if asked why by the parents then explain why. I would also keep a screen print of the conversation before its deleted.

Have to agree. As a teenager she is probably not aware of working etiquette. If she was mine I'd be horrified that she had been discussing clients on facebook. Good comments or bad.

newrider.com