An enlightening and blustery lesson today

eventerbabe

Dec 16, 2004
I had a super private lesson this morning with this lady
http://www.downshep.com/debbylush/index.htm

She does clinics in my area but you normally have to travel to her. Today she came to me! The lesson literally went by in a flash. We were working on kezzie lightening in the hand and reacting to the rein (he sets his jaw and ignores me normally :confused:).

We have howling gales up here today and my marker cones were flying across the school. At one point I thought I was going to get blown off! Ginger pony was a star and I was very flattered to be told I ride nicely. If you ever get a chance, grab a lesson with her!!

The wind is getting worse! It was bad this morning and is horrific now. All my leccy fencing has blown over!

We tried an interesting little activity. On a 20m circle I had to raise my outside fore arm so I was holding the rein above the neck. The idea being the bit is lifted off the bars of the mouth so encouraging kezzie to drop his head.

The other focus was transitions, namely downwards. We have been criticised for losing energy and sudden stops in tests and it had never occurred to me simply to take the leg off (like taking foot off the accelerator in a car). Our transitions are so much better now!

Really hoping we can get a second lesson with Debby in the spring.

newrider.com