An unexpected distraction

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
Well I read how so many of you on here train your horses in the field or school to get used to stuff so in that spirit I hung out loads of flappy washing on the line next to the arena (well I sleep in a caravan atm so may as well hang the washing nearby in true traveller fashion) and left my truck parked in the school with lots and lots of bin bags in the back (its bin day here tomorrow and we have to take ours two miles to the wheelies at the end of the private road). Plus I hung a large red shopping bag on the school gate. Heheee. Well it all went swimmingly until about half way through our schooling / pootling and the ruddy bin liners in the back of the truck started popping loudly!!!!! They have empty plastic bottles in and clearly being in the sun or having been previously squished makes them liable to popping. Hahahaaa, woke us both up! She was very brave though and didn't object to keep going past many times after they'd popped. Plus she shimmied down the sides of the truck so well, I like to keep my hand in with her going through tight spaces.
So very pleased on the whole and she didn't even eyeball the red bag. Tomorrow I'm setting the jumps up with stuff hanging off them. Just hope she doesn't actually try and jump them:eek::D

I am always amazed at what things scare or don't scare them. This week on the yard we've had a cement mixer going round and round outside the school and the oil delivery lorry drive right past us and it's a tight gap, did she care? Nope not one bit, however, someone dared to place a wheelbarrow in the 'wrong' place and she turns into snorting dragon mode!
Funny animals but really pleased Storm wasn't phased, especially with the popping bags!
As for the jumps tomorrow, make em small just in case ;)

Reactions: Trewsers
Tell you what though I think sometimes although it is easy to over analyse things riding wise it doesn't do any harm to try and see things how they do. For example today I forgot I had moved my clothes maiden:oops::rolleyes: into the tack room doorway. Anyhoo, went off and did a few other things but spooked myself when I came back and saw it. Initially just for a few seconds I was like:eek: as in who put that there?! So I guess after all that waffle, even after training them to accept things they just get used to stuff - but like us wonder why and where stuff has arrived from sometimes!

Sounds fun!

Tobes a few weeks ago led past a man welding - he heard the welder, but couldn't see it, managed to put two and two together and passed- he understands welding as YO's husband does welding!

However, a fern or dock blowing in the wind .................... major heart attacks and refusal to put one hoof forward!!!

newrider.com