An unexpected surprise!

Portia

Oct 16, 2004
Visit site
I had to sell my horse a few years back. Two teens off to Uni meant increasing my hours at work, and with all earnings re-directed to supporting them there was no longer the time or the money for a horse. I have no land to speak of, so loaning wasnt an option. I was absolutely heartbroken and missed him so very much, he was such a lovely little chap as well as being my first (plus lost contacted with the buyers). You always take a chance selling on, and I have permanently in my mind the sight of him trying to look back at me with a confused and frightened eye as the trailer took him away.

To cut a long story short, by chance I heard he had been loaned and is being kept not far from us! As you might imagine, our boxing day walk had a small detour, and there he was. Same markings, same ears (one points straight up and the curls in). After three years he still knew my call (always used the same one, always got a polo when caught up) and came over. It was very brief as I didnt want to cause him any confusion, and it's actually quite hard to put into words how I really feel about seeing him again, but the relief in knowing he is safe, well and loved is just immense.

Best EVER present I could have :)

How lovely for you to see him again, it must have been a real mixture of emotions......however knowing he is safe and well must be a great feeling xx

Aww that's just brought a tear to my eye!!!
I'll bet it was all a bit overwhelming for you seeing him. I'm glad you're happy that he's safe/loved etc :)

Glad you found him. I imagine that it must be hard not knowing what's happened to a horse you once owned, whatever the reasons for sale.

There was a note in Harvey's passport from a previous owner asking future owners to contact her if he was sold on, as he had been a "much loved horse". She told me why she had sold him (she'd been ill), and I was able to reassure her about his future.

will you go and see him again?

I would so love to DT, but I cant help but feel it would be selfish on my part, and in truth I'm not sure how well I would cope!! We had such a close bond, he was rising 4 when I bought him intending he'd be my 'forever' horse. But he no longer belongs to me, I've seen he's safe and well cared for, and that's priceless to anyone who's had no choice but to sell on.

I think that no, I wont go out of my way to see him again.

Last edited:
newrider.com