And we’re there...

There's also a real difference between physical and emotional/psychological development. Charlie is very well developed physically, strong and balanced, looks like a 4 year old. But in his head he is a real baby, definitely still only 2!

Reactions: Huggy and Jessey
I finally got Niko into the forest, it’s been one thing or another for months but the stars aligned today and he was fabulous, we stopped for snacks several times and he didn’t once pull for more, he even stood beautifully when the neighbours came by on their 2 and happily continued on our way in the opposite direction to them, he led beside and followed behind when the tracks got too narrow 🤩 he did get a little snorty at one point (but did nothing else), it took me a minute to realise why, we were in the woods behind the house where they keep exotics; lynx, wild dogs etc. so I’ll give him that one.
39B205E8-7060-4AB2-9111-4C9A7C34202E.jpeg
Im going to have to be more aware of putting hiviz on him than Jess, her bright orange stands out most of the year but he really blends in!79FF2D91-F40A-4CC7-A175-267F652DF3C8.jpeg
I was trying to get a nice picture of both boys, Niko thought it was wrestling time 🤦‍♀️
CB74F5BD-2104-445B-B37E-2C5D65339A78.jpeg
1EB028CB-2CDA-48A9-A745-D138F235A75B.jpegAnd then got distracted 🤣
55E7553B-97E3-4F53-B25E-10E1034E510A.jpeg
Snack time
A5D02C48-2402-4779-B3FF-4BCC35646B90.jpeg3223CF7C-C657-49DF-8860-403EE9A2D477.jpeg
I think he’s getting handsomer 🥰
297C71D7-CFB7-4C8A-BB8B-0706B880E1F3.jpeg
Hank took the lead though a narrower bit (behind us)
9B153848-65D2-4886-BA91-3AC769BE398F.jpeg

I'm pretty sure that look says he thinks he's getting handsomer too - and he's right! And yes - more hi viz would be good - he does "blend" !

Reactions: Jessey
Monkey got a sponge bath 😁
70BDF347-F5DE-41C0-80E8-CDE9123026F9.jpeg
He was pretty good, must have been bathed before. He does not like the water dribbling down his legs, he swung his butt and swiped once on each side and pawing when it went down the front legs, he barely clipped my thigh with one of those but I think realised his mistake when I jumped and squawked at him 🤣 he was very good after that. He really liked the lavender rinse 😁 And he didn’t roll after!

Niko was very good about being on the front paddock separated from all the others today, not a peep out of him 😁

But not such a great walk out, Niko was a bit unenthusiastic about going out (probably didn’t want to leave all that grass!) and had a few plants. Then he was anxious about my friends 11yo granddaughter leading Hank behind him, she’s nervous and a know it all and insists on being behind and slowing right back then running with Hank which was upsetting Niko and she was letting Hank drag her all over which also really worried Niko as he couldn’t understand why Hank kept going off in different directions.

I had words with said child in the end as we were on a road, all be it’s a trafficless one at the time, and every time I tried to gently ask her to just walk Hank along properly she had an excuse for why she had to be behind/run up Niko’s bum/couldn’t control Hank. I shan’t take Niko out with her again, it’s just not constructive learning for him at this stage.

Yes kids just dont understand why these things are not good and cause problems. I used to have to try to explain things to one of the girls who rode chunky from time to time the dos and donts. Say it enough some bits start to sink in.

Yes kids just dont understand why these things are not good and cause problems. I used to have to try to explain things to one of the girls who rode chunky from time to time the dos and donts. Say it enough some bits start to sink in.
I do get that, but my other friends 5yo knows better than to run up behind horses already and she doesn’t have her own unlike this kid!
In the long run it would be good for Niko to get used to it all, he’s just not there yet.

Had a really good session with monkey tonight, short and sweet. After the planting in the driveway at the weekend I just wanted him to walk out and not have to drag him!

He started a bit sticky but 200m up the lane one way then the same the other and he was walking, trotting and creeping matching my speed without shenanigans 😁 then did a little yielding hind and fore quarters in the driveway and flapping the rope around all without any drama even when a neighbour went past with her cob. And all that with Jess screaming her head off because she’s red hot in season 🤦‍♀️

Then I popped him on the roadside paddock for some grass which he was very excited about 😊 but like a good boy he came when I called him half hour later for his dinner, and again an hour later when I wanted to put him back with the others.

Reactions: GaryB and Huggy
Repeated the same as yesterday and he was foot perfect 🤩 tried to take some videos to share, working on keeping slack in the rope and matching me/my feet

• Love
Reactions: Huggy
The highs and lows of babies. The plan last night was to walk Niko up the lane only as far as my neighbour but ones school, looking for quality rather than quantity, do some yielding and do some more back at home and turn him out on the grass, sub 10 mins.

It started well, he walked out great, rated well, did some nice yielding next to her school, didn’t get silly when her horse in the paddock behind started calling. Then set off home, then her ponies in the next paddock out started walking along towards us in the distance and Niko caught sight of them and wanted to turn back towards them. I just asked him to keep walking away, he kept trying to swing around, I kept walking, then he reared and leapt forwards 😣 I yielded him a bit more and carried on home, did a bit of walk lunging and yielding in the driveway which he did great, then went into the front paddock and asked him to lunge at the trot for the first time which he did fantastically for a first proper try, a bit sticky but just because he was unsure. Then turned him loose.

Overall another good session apart from the rearing. I’ve spent all night going over it, trying to decide if I asked too much, if I did something to set him off, but I really don’t think I did. I wasn’t stressed or worried, I didn’t stumble or put too much pressure on. I really think it was just a little bit of a temper tantrum and his energy level got to high.

I really want to finally get him walking up the lane, it’s the most direct access to the forest but those 2 cobs will occasionally chase alongside you, then further up there’s a big herd that will come flat out across the field at you and run alongside often squabbling between themselves and it’s a narrow path and you’re stuck between 2 fences. How do you get a horse good with that other than just doing it? I think the best bet is with a solid lead horse for him, but I don’t feel happy leading 2 just in case it goes tits up, going to have to recruit someone to help me I think.

Nope, I’m going to find a positive in it, dance, dance, rear, leap not so great, BUT when I then asked him to yield and back he calmed down very quickly and did what I asked well. So getting him back from the brink and thinking again was quite easy, that’s definitely a good thing.
It’s easy to focus on the negative, I’m a big believer in choosing to find the positive! @lauren123 knows how much I harp on about looking for silver linings 😉😜

Last edited:
I think you're right though. Charlie reared in the field under similar circumstances, bothered by other horses and wanted to do that not what I asked. Fortunately my RI was there are coached me to correct him quickly and firmly, and he never did it again. Narrow paths with horses both sides are difficult but you're right, you have to give it a go.

Mind you if you have someone who could lead Jessey or Hank ahead of him it would make it easier the first time!

Reactions: Jessey
I think you're right though. Charlie reared in the field under similar circumstances, bothered by other horses and wanted to do that not what I asked. Fortunately my RI was there are coached me to correct him quickly and firmly, and he never did it again. Narrow paths with horses both sides are difficult but you're right, you have to give it a go.

Mind you if you have someone who could lead Jessey or Hank ahead of him it would make it easier the first time!
It’s not horses on both sides, just the one side, the other is gardens. Where the 2 cobs are is vehicle width so not to bad but by the big herd it’s single footpath width so there isn’t really room to lead 2 side by side or deal with leaping/turning around. There is alleyways off the lane into the housing estate so I can use the cobs to get him better and turn off before the herd for now.

I didn’t go as far up today, I wanted to give the best possible chance of a really good session and he was good as gold, and another really good walk trot lunge on return, managed several circuits at trot both ways and really sharp transitions up and down, so very happy with that 😁

I know it’s anthropomorphising but he didn’t half have a sheepish face on, almost like he knew the day before hadn’t been cracky
B2B93465-A862-4383-BC2B-95D8A5F3096D.jpeg

Last edited:
newrider.com