And we’re there...

Another day off (it’s my annual make-the-most-of-the-last-of-the-good-weather week off) and the weather was glorious and Monkey was willing but the world didn’t want to comply with my planned route!
IMG_5013.jpeg
We got about 2 miles out only to find the forest had reclaimed a track I used to use, another mile on and a downed tree completely blocked another track, then a woman with a boxer who was barking madly at us from a distance that she seemed to be struggling to control steered me off route and then forestry had the cheek to park a jcb blocking a track, so we gave up and turned for home!!!
IMG_5017.jpegIMG_5020.jpeg
It was a pleasant 5 miles though 😍
 
  • Love
Reactions: Trewsers
Another day off (it’s my annual make-the-most-of-the-last-of-the-good-weather week off) and the weather was glorious and Monkey was willing but the world didn’t want to comply with my planned route!
View attachment 137868
We got about 2 miles out only to find the forest had reclaimed a track I used to use, another mile on and a downed tree completely blocked another track, then a woman with a boxer who was barking madly at us from a distance that she seemed to be struggling to control steered me off route and then forestry had the cheek to park a jcb blocking a track, so we gave up and turned for home!!!
View attachment 137869View attachment 137870
It was a pleasant 5 miles though 😍
Oh that is annoying with the barking dog and the jcb. But lovely scenery and glad you had a nice rest of ride.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Jessey
Another lovely ride in more glorious sunshine, we started out leading but L was a bit spicy behind so Monkey had to give up his favourite spot in the lead
IMG_5022.jpeg
But he soon got over his grumps and enjoyed not being in charge
IMG_5023.jpegIMG_5024.jpeg
He’s pretty tired after 4 decent rides this week, he’s in for a shock as I’ve got 3 more days off yet!!

ETA, I forgot to say, Monkey saw a robot lawnmower for the first time today, he was very suspicious of it, snorted at it, but managed to contain himself and get past without being eaten by it 🤣🤣🤣
 
Last edited:
L&L came over again today, Monkey was very tired but put his best foot forward and we had a lovely ride IMG_5028.jpegIMG_5029.jpeg
He definitely prefers to be in the lead, behind he just turned into a sloth!
IMG_5030.jpegIMG_5032.jpeg
On the last stretch home we were practicing L&L cantering away, he stayed in a steady trot but was very focused on them, when they slowed to a trot I asked him to canter to catch up, at which point his attention came back and he noticed a branch on the floor beside us and launched sideways, at 47.6mph according to my gps! Boy it yanked my hip/lower back, but he managed to canter up to her without further incident 🥰 he’s a plonker.
 
L&L came over again today, Monkey was very tired but put his best foot forward and we had a lovely ride View attachment 137896View attachment 137897
He definitely prefers to be in the lead, behind he just turned into a sloth!
View attachment 137898View attachment 137899
On the last stretch home we were practicing L&L cantering away, he stayed in a steady trot but was very focused on them, when they slowed to a trot I asked him to canter to catch up, at which point his attention came back and he noticed a branch on the floor beside us and launched sideways, at 47.6mph according to my gps! Boy it yanked my hip/lower back, but he managed to canter up to her without further incident 🥰 he’s a plonker.
heck that's fast!!!
 
I always enjoyed schooling, but schooling Monkey has never been nice, until today!

He’s done a lot of miles this month so figured something different would be good. I’ve been working on his walk a lot and he’s been getting way better as I found a technique to motivate him without worrying or nagging him and it really paid off when going in circles today 🤩 I’m really happy, this has been a long time coming!

A picture from after we were done, I feel like he looks pretty content with himself.
IMG_5050.jpeg
 
  • Love
  • Like
Reactions: Tir and Trewsers
I always enjoyed schooling, but schooling Monkey has never been nice, until today!

He’s done a lot of miles this month so figured something different would be good. I’ve been working on his walk a lot and he’s been getting way better as I found a technique to motivate him without worrying or nagging him and it really paid off when going in circles today 🤩 I’m really happy, this has been a long time coming!

A picture from after we were done, I feel like he looks pretty content with himself.
View attachment 137917
Beautiful content face.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Jessey
Oof spicy ride tonight! he went out nicely
IMG_5057.jpeg
IMG_5058.jpeg
The forest was stunning in the last of the sun
IMG_5059.jpeg
but the bit I’d planned to canter away from home we met a couple with 7 spaniels who were a bit excitable and off leads so we turned off towards home and he got very over excited, we managed a couple of short canters on the twisty tracks
IMG_5061.jpeg
but once we got back on big tracks he could barely contain himself, he leapt every direction in trot, tossing his head and carrying on and when I asked for another canter he put in a huge buck and cantered so coiled up we barely moved forward, 3 more tries and eventually he managed a decent canter without shenanigans!

I hadn’t planned to ride tomorrow but L&L are coming over on Saturday so perhaps I will!
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Reactions: Trewsers and Tir
I like them when they are being silly but not stupid. Dont mind them showing they'd like to have a good tkme as long as its not trying to put you on the floor.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Jessey
I went out tonight and did the same route and he was still full of it, but not as silly 🤩
IMG_5068.jpeg
My new livery was on her way back as we went out, he couldn’t give two stuffs, happily carried on.
IMG_5069.jpeg
We had a nice long canter and he managed to go nicely forwards rather than coil up today which my back and hips definitely appreciated!
 
  • Like
Reactions: Trewsers
The trees have got really low across the forest tracks in places, so before they’re sopping wet and raining down my back, I wanted to trim them. I normally snap twigs off as I ride past but they were beyond that and no way was I lugging a ladder round a 3 mile loop, so Monkey was up. I wasn’t quite sure what he would think but I figured it was worth a try!

I went out with my secateurs in my saddle bag, and gingerly started snipping small bits and giving him treats 🤞 he thought it was a fair trade so we started on the bigger branches, we got up to big 5ft fans of branches and they landed on his bum, on his head, and he couldn’t care less, in fact thought it was a fine opportunity for a snack 🤣👌
IMG_5071.jpeg
He even progressed to trying to catch the ones that didn’t land on him as they sailed down 🤣 he will honestly do anything that involves food! It took us an hour and a quarter to do it all but he seemed very happy with our little jaunt 😁

 
  • Love
  • Like
Reactions: Tir and Trewsers
Monkey is so predictable in certain ways, 5th ride of the week and I had to all but drag him out of the gate 🤣 but you can’t waste a sunny day off at this time of year!
IMG_5077.jpeg
Once out he was pretty keen though and we had some good trots and a couple of lovely long canters, he set a personal best with a 10 minute mile!!! I don’t aim for fast, but always have my garmin on, so it pops up how long each mile took, it used to be consistently 21 m/m when he was in his hand brake on phase but he averages more like 16/17 m/m now.
IMG_5078.jpeg
IMG_5079.jpeg
 
  • Love
  • Like
Reactions: Tir and Trewsers
newrider.com