Animals are like their owners

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
Leading on from the thread about your advert if you were an equine, it seems many of us see ourselves as being like our horses in some ways.

So I pose a question, do we subconsciously select animals that have similar characteristics to ourselves, or do our animals develop to reflect us, or maybe its a bit of both?

Last edited:
Hmmm - in my case I couldn't have subconsciously chosen my mare for her similar character to mine (I don't think so anyway) because I walked into her field to meet her for the first time when she was rising 3 & unbacked. I bought her, or rather reserved her, that day. She was quiet as a mouse friendly cuddly and cute but clearly a sports pony. She's since changed! So maybe she's taken on my sh*tty personality or maybe its just coincidence. Either way we're stuck with each other :p

Hmmm - in my case I couldn't have subconsciously chosen my mare for her similar character to mine (I don't think so anyway) because I walked into her field to meet her for the first time when she was rising 3 & unbacked. I bought her, or rather reserved her, that day. She was quiet as a mouse friendly cuddly and cute but clearly a sports pony. She's since changed! So maybe she's taken on my sh*tty personality or maybe its just coincidence. Either way we're stuck with each other :p
I brought Jess as a yearling, and accepted Hank unseen, so I'd like to say the same ;) Hank and I have very little in common really, he is a good worker though and will just get the job done. But certainly for a riding horse it would have to be something pretty outstanding for me to consider a cold blood, its just not my thing, I would always want something a little hot blooded....does it start as early as the point when we decide what is our thing?

Reactions: Kite_Rider
Perhaps there is an element of seeing similarity when there is none too, Jess and Bo were polar opposites, Bo was an in your pocket, loveable, cheeky monster who was an unpredictable nightmare to ride/compete and the whole reason I brought Jess. Or maybe its that I brought him when I was a bit wilder in my teens and didn't get her until I was in my mid 20's and had settled down a bit.

Reactions: Kite_Rider
If our horses are our mirrors then I’m actually really flattered. @Jessey what a very good question and one I have pondered myself, as far as personality I’d say Belle and myself are pretty similar, it wasn’t a conscious decision to buy a horse who was like me, I just wanted something safe. She has changed quite a bit in terms of her work ethic since I’ve had her though so maybe it is that they come to be a little like us or it could simply be that we recognise certain traits in our horses because we see them in ourselves?

Interesting. I think maybe a bit of both? I'm always being told by Mr T that I am just like my horse!! And by that he means I'm often spooky, hungry and quite ratty. But, I don't have the ability to flatten my ears back lol
I honestly think in some ways that yeah maybe I did choose her because she was a bit like me. I bought her for lots of reasons and one of them was to give her a chance as I felt even back then as a novice she was often misunderstood and needed treating sensitively. Not sure how that makes me sound - but I was often misjudged in my youth.

I hope I am not a tart like mine, but then again I did pop to the theatre to see something very interesting. :D:eek:

The mind boggles :eek::D

I actually think me and Raf are quite opposite - he's communicative, pretty, flamboyant (when he's in the mood) and is gracious with people. I'm not any of those things :D My friend thinks we're really alike though - by which I think she means we're both a bit air-headed!

Reactions: Jessey
Torin, Rhan, Tigger and Harry all have very different personalities but do all share a trait or 2 like me, Tigger and Harry ive had since babies so id be more suprised if they hadnt picked up something from me, Torin i didnt meet i got him from a picture but we are aloof like eachother. Rhan has taken along time to settle bless her and we kind of picked eachother out when i went to see her,their was a definite pull to eachother from both sides and again we have traits very alike.
Mystique my angel and i were very very alike in everyway and we mirrored eachother 95% of the time, she really was my horse of a lifetime.
Did i pick any of them because i seen myself in them? Honestly no, we either happened across eachother or we just clicked but ive loved them all :)

newrider.com