another condition thread.. hows my gang looking?

xloopylozzax

Jan 14, 2008
Leeds
a bit of background info- all native welsh cobs, been in light to medium work through winter (2 girls long fast hacks, gelding schooling 3/4 times a week for upto 1 hour- doesnt hack out but will walk round village occasionally)

been on just hay all winter with a few carrots (talking 1/2 bucket a day on and off, depending on weather and work) stabled with limited turnout every couple of days but it has been this way for all their lives and it suits them- im not asking for any critique on their living arrangements they are very happy and settled. 2 girls not rugged, gelding clipped and rugged- only newzealand when he goes out and light-medium stable rug, hes been warm enough so doesnt need anything else.

they will be showing in the summer and continuing hacking, im also hoping to do some jumping with blackie but only low level stuff.
they are very hairy at the moment obviously but in excellant condition (still have dapples) very shiny smooth silky coat, its not coarse at all.

we dont weigh them- just judge by eye how they are looking and change feed accordingly every day if needs be. they will be building more muscle as light nights start (summer *yay* :D) and will be in tip-top condition come june on molli-chop, sugarbeet (either shreds or nuts) and a cheap hard mix (cheapest we can find basically!) and either hay or hayledge (depends on local farmer and what the hays like)

so anyway, pictures!

Attachments

• DSC00099.jpg
    DSC00099.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 54
  • DSC00124.jpg
    DSC00124.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 55
  • DSC00122.jpg
    DSC00122.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC00147 (1).JPG
    DSC00147 (1).JPG
    6.4 KB · Views: 46
  • Changed.jpg
    Changed.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 59
a couple more pics...
3362138495a7339614920l.jpg
i know its not great :eek:
SANY0019.jpg
in her stable-she doesnt like the flash and is on a slight slope ;)

ETA gosh rather large- i dont know how to resize ;)

Last edited:
well not a clue. sorry! its hard to tell with there winter coat.

they are all very pretty tho. you can now look forward to the scruffy stage where all there coat comes out in one part but none on the other part:D:rolleyes: i must say on the first pic of the second post the face is very similar to Ginny's - as in the way its set out and the same look in there eye.....:cool:

If they are good doers during the summer I think they are too fat. They are not obese but they are certainly not slim and healthy weight. You should be easily able to feel their ribs and see then in certain lights (although obviously not when they have a wooly bear coat). If they were mine they'd be carry a bit less.

If they are going to do more work during the summer that fat should turn into muscle, which would be fine. If not I'd have them all on a diet.

Of course if your showing them they 'need' to have more 'condition' on them so would be fine as they are:rolleyes:

Do they have limited turnout in the Summer too?? I wouldnt worry too much about their weight at present if they have limited turnout. I think they look ok from the pictures but it is difficult to tell what is weight and what is fluff. :)

I think without that thick coat they'd be a fine weight. A lot of people have different opinions on what is too skinny and what is too fat. To me they are in good condition. Could loose a little bit of weight. But as you have said you'll be riding them more in summer so that extra bit of weight is a good thing in my opinion.

they will be on same turnout (limited to a couple of hours every few days maybe overnight if showing the gelding further afield) and doing more work- high intensity schooling, more and further hacking etc.

they arent particularily good doers and when we start them on feed (next few days now spring is definitely on its way) it will be small often feeds to start with then building up to 2 quite large feeds (1 &1/2 round scoops of molli-chop, corn and sugarbeet) by the end of may.

i know its the dreaded showing "fat vs fit" but they will definitely be fit no questions about it- showing is a piece of cake for them the amount of work they get at home they dont even sweat up and get better the further we go (good for big rings with a large class, not so good locally :rolleyes:)

luckily their coat comes out evenly, as in all at once!

my sister was grooming in the second post, a couple of days at them solid with a curry comb its all gone luckily their summer coat just pushes it through (along with the amount of sweat coming off them at the moment when we come back after a ride)

they have very deep girths which is decieving because it makes them look even heavier on their fine legs (well compared to their bodys, they arent fine in any sense of the word thy have quite a lot of bone)

i have judged fitness from been able to see veins especially on their back legs and shoulders, face etc. after and during been worked. is this 'right' or just old fashioned?

thanks for all the nice comments :D

they will be on same turnout (limited to a couple of hours every few days maybe overnight if showing the gelding further afield) and doing more work- high intensity schooling, more and further hacking etc.

they arent particularily good doers and when we start them on feed (next few days now spring is definitely on its way) it will be small often feeds to start with then building up to 2 quite large feeds (1 &1/2 round scoops of molli-chop, corn and sugarbeet) by the end of may.

I don't really understand your management (WHY can't they get turned out?) but def not why they need even more weight on them -they're already fat!

Golden rule of feeding is work first, feeding later - you don't feed more in preperation of more work!!!:eek:

Deep girth has nothing to do with it - it's the crest and backside that looks fat. They're not obese by any stretch of the imagination but they could cetainly do with loosing some weight. If they are going to be doing a lot more work them that will burn if off, but not if you start pumping food into them!

have judged fitness from been able to see veins especially on their back legs and shoulders, face etc. after and during been worked. is this 'right' or just old fashioned?

Veins are just when they are workng hard and get hot. Nothing to do with fitness. Fat unfit horses become veiny too. Some horses are more veiny than others anyways. Fitness is measured by their recovery time after excersie and enduranec during.

And they can still be fat as well as fit, and it's still just as unhealthy.

I would certainly hold off on more feed till you see the weight dropping off and they start to get worryingly thin. Turnout isnt perfect but then you know that and Im sure with all the exercise you have lined up with them they will be ok. :)

newrider.com