Another how is he looking thread . . .

Nimbus65

Aug 15, 2005
My instructor came out to ride Kal today . . . and I took the opportunity of the sunshine to take some pics of him. He's been on Topline for six weeks now, I have been working him every day - lungeing, schooling and/or hacking - he gets about an hour of work each day. I know he's got more belly b/c the straps on his rugs are much more snug, and I'm starting to see some muscle definition in his neck, shoulders and hindquarters. He's beginning to look (to me) much more like the warmblood he was sold to us as, rather than the weedy TB he looked like when he arrived.

What do you guys think? I know his bum needs to catch up with his shoulders, but that won't happen until we start doing fast work with him, and we can't do that until he's balancing himself properly in walk AND trot . . . but we'll get there.

Any and all critiques welcome.

http://picasaweb.google.com/NaomiHi65/KaliMarch2010?feat=directlink

N

I think he looks great tbh, but I hate giving critque, never feel I know
enough to comment on other peoples Horses unless its something so
obvious it hits you in the face;)

You have obviously, from your post, been working hard with him and it
sounds as though its paying off. If YOU can see the difference, especially
as you see him everyday, I am sure other people will:)

Critique?? Looks stunning to me:) What a VERy handsome boy - bet you are thrilled with him:)

Well, I adore him . . . think he is my fairy tale horse (naturally, he's grey!) . . . but I'm hardly objective!

He's the horse I've wanted since I was 6 years old (so approximately 40 years) . . . but, I have plans for us and want to be sure the work we're doing is paying off.

He's probably not the horse I should have bought . . . I'm a big girl and am right on the edge of being too big for him, and although he doesn't struggle (that's not me in the pics, that's my instructor, although we are a similar size), I want him to build up muscle to enable him to balance himself better with me on board. And I want to take him to a local show this summer and do a dressage test with him. He's my forever horse . . . he will be with me until he goes to sleep forever in a patch of sunshine lying on a bed of clover.

Bottom line, I think he's beautiful, but helpful critique on whether he's building muscle in the "right" places and what else we could be doing to help that along is always welcome.

Thanks for your sweet words.

N

It's really strange . . . his was the very first ad I responded to, but Lou said he was sold subject to vetting . . . I tried a bunch of others (8 I think) . . . and then I saw him readvertised and contacted Lou again. I wanted him as soon as I we drove onto the yard. If he'd been a loon, I wouldn't have bought him . . . ditto if he'd scared Em or failed the vetting . . . but other than that I wanted him. And I didn't have that feeling about ANY of the others we saw.

Folks said I would just "know" . . . and I did.

I think you're right . . . I speak to so many people who didn't buy what they set out to . . .

N

Condition wise he looks lovely :)
Schooling wise he still has some way to go - it may just be that your instructor was still just getting a feel of him but he is quite disengaged in those pics; he is not tracking up or working through his back and he is behind the bit quite a lot. Also, your RI tips forward quite a bit and drops her head - this will drop a lot more weight onto his forehand making it even harder for him to lighten it and work correctly from behind - the horse carries around 65% of its own weight on the forelegs to start with; they don't need us leaning forwards and piling ours onto them as well. She is also restrictive in her hands, how she is carrying them right down and back by the withers won't encourage or allow him to work correctly as the contact isn't correct for him to do that.
However that is just my opinion based on those pics, he's a lovely horse!

He's getting there - he looks to have the potential to be a fab horse!! His hindquarters still need to develop more but he's certainly looking good. Slowly slowly catchy monkey!

You can see he is working the topline so just carry on schooling but giving him plenty of breaks within the schooling session - he probably can't carry himself for too long in a proper outline comfortably.

But he is certainly wonderful looking!

Condition wise he looks lovely :)
Schooling wise he still has some way to go - it may just be that your instructor was still just getting a feel of him but he is quite disengaged in those pics; he is not tracking up or working through his back and he is behind the bit quite a lot. Also, your RI tips forward quite a bit and drops her head - this will drop a lot more weight onto his forehand making it even harder for him to lighten it and work correctly from behind - the horse carries around 65% of its own weight on the forelegs to start with; they don't need us leaning forwards and piling ours onto them as well. She is also restrictive in her hands, how she is carrying them right down and back by the withers won't encourage or allow him to work correctly as the contact isn't correct for him to do that.
However that is just my opinion based on those pics, he's a lovely horse!

Im soo chuffed! I'm a total novice but I must be learning 'cause I thought of three of the things you said WOOHOO! ( sorry he's a wee cutie but I just had to share!)x

newrider.com