Anti slip saddle Pad or nummnah

Native Lover

Native Pony Fan
Jul 13, 2009
Lincolnshire,wheres the hills?
stores.shop.ebay.co.uk
Eva is a typical barrel shapped pony and my saddle really slip all the time on her. It was fitted from new by a saddler.
My riding instructor says get a non slip saddle pad.

Help I am desperate :banghead:

Both the tack shops near me don't sell any.

Can anyone reccommend me one I could buy online, please.

I'm interested in non-slips too!

Ed (Sec D) is not barrel shaped and has withers, but his 12 month old saddle (Albion K2 GP) which has been fitted several times since new keeps slipping to the off-side at the back.

Saddle fitter is baffled, coming back out again next week. Back check again (since October) apparently pelvis slight out of alignment - dipping off-side. I've had my riding looked at and I possibly carry more weight towards the right, but it's really minimal and RI doubts it would impact greatly on Ed or the saddle...... :cry::cry: When standing still the saddle is an A1 perfect fit.. so frustrating.

By hook, or by crook we have to fit it the best we can and I have to ride :bounce:, so I'm going to discuss non-slip as the next option.

I've been doing a bit of research and Barnsby non-slips have some good reviews and the Griffin Nuumed non-slip looks good (I like their numnahs). The Thorowgood gets some good reports too. There are also non slip mats like Impakt and Limpet, be they seem less readily available.

Is your saddle fitter happy with the non-slip idea? Just wondering if there are any disadvantages? I guess 'glueing' the saddle in the wrong place might be one :frown:

PS. Griffin and Barnsby def available from loads of places on-line!

I had a barnsby on order but at around £60 I wasn't too upset when it didn't materialise and I ended up with a refund! I would still like one but Skippy's mum et al on here just said go get some of that pimpley shelf lining stuff - I got mine off of ebay for about £3. My mum kindly sewed a piece to the bottom and top of the numnah so there is grip between horse and numnah and then numnah and saddle. Works a dream.

I take you through my non-slip history.

Joy is a somewhat round sec d. What was happening with her was that the saddle was shifting forward onto her big shoulder. The best thing that helped was for her to lose her excess weight (but she's fat again now).

In the meantime I found the best non-pad was the Stephens gel-eez which I would use with my usual numnahs. It was fab. It could get dunked in a trough after each ride and when it started to lose stickiness then I'd wash it in the sink with washing up liquid.

However, what I hadn't considered initially but worked wonders when I did get advised to try it was a humane girth. I have to admit I was very anti them but she's much happier in it and the saddle doesn't get pulled forwards now, even without the pad. I'm converted as they are right for us. You can get a shaped one that is even better.

In fact I went from an elasticated girth (both ends) and forgot to check the girth after getting on the first time I used the humane. I got back to the yard after a very fast demanding hack to test it out only to the girth hanging down under her belly in throat lash styley but the saddle hadn't shifted. This proved to me that a) it was the girth that was the issue, and b) my position can't be that bad considering I never even noticed! :redface:

I found the Limpet Saddle Pad the best for my round mare. It worked through warmth so kicked in when the saddle clamped it between it and my horse. I loved it. I no longer have her though, so don't have it anymore. Highly recommended though :D

The Barrel shaped Sec D mare I used to part loan had real issues with saddle slipping!

We found a humane girth as Joyscarer has mentioned definitely helped, we used this with a Barnsby Grip pad for a double whammy of anti slip to good effect.

I take you through my non-slip history.

Joy is a somewhat round sec d. What was happening with her was that the saddle was shifting forward onto her big shoulder. The best thing that helped was for her to lose her excess weight (but she's fat again now).

In the meantime I found the best non-pad was the Stephens gel-eez which I would use with my usual numnahs. It was fab. It could get dunked in a trough after each ride and when it started to lose stickiness then I'd wash it in the sink with washing up liquid.

However, what I hadn't considered initially but worked wonders when I did get advised to try it was a humane girth. I have to admit I was very anti them but she's much happier in it and the saddle doesn't get pulled forwards now, even without the pad. I'm converted as they are right for us. You can get a shaped one that is even better.

In fact I went from an elasticated girth (both ends) and forgot to check the girth after getting on the first time I used the humane. I got back to the yard after a very fast demanding hack to test it out only to the girth hanging down under her belly in throat lash styley but the saddle hadn't shifted. This proved to me that a) it was the girth that was the issue, and b) my position can't be that bad considering I never even noticed! :redface:

Story of my life there JS :giggle:

I might try the humane girth then, as i get the whole really baggy loose girth after riding too :redface:

Like everything there are pros and cons. I too was a bit questioning over the human girth, especially once I saw it, and as someone said you have a problem if it comes undone. But I have to say so far so good. It has cured the dancing issues when I am tacking up too.

I was advised to do away with and elasticated girth, as they can stretch and become uneven on the tension.

I have rotund horse and the new saddle does still slip but nowhere near like the old one. Mind he drops off on the one side. Plenty of barebacking has made him more even. I have a pad underneath my numnah is only thin but it does seem to help. Will go have a look in the robinsons book to see if I can find the name of it.

Found it, its called a Prolite Saddle Stay Pad. £22 for pony or £25 for Full. There black but under a numnah you cant see it. Its just like a thin peice of foam. Wash regular so they help to stick to the back.

I have the thorowgood non slip pad,and would really recommend it:smile:

I used it on it's own as is an actual saddle pad (just thin,but I prefer that as no danger of altering saddle fit),as opoosed to some that are designed to go under something else.

Worked a treat on my very round and wide fell pony I had!!

Have to say though that I did also use a humane girth quite often,but don't think it was the girth that made the difference as am fairly sure I used normal girths at times as well.Would really rate a humane girth anyway though,especially on rounder types as just seem easier to girth up tight without them minding too much (by tight I just mean tight enough to counteract the 'rolling' effect that a flat backed rotund native can have on a saddle,not so tight I regualrly cut off my ned's oxygen supply lol).

Got my thorowgood pad off e-bay BTW,but assume can get them at other online shops and outlets??

Try this. Came highly recommended (by a lady who has a Fell Pony and rides in the Brecon Beacons). Bought one yesterday and it instantly helped keep my saddle in place going down a very steep hill.

http://www.welshsaddlery.co.uk/stikit-pad-anti-slip-pad-186-p.asp

I have had a similar product from Ebay - but was in a square, and impossible to get level under the saddle - and was thicker/less flexible. It didn't work!

Ali xx

Interesting topic, as a SF i would never recommend using a non-slip pad under a saddle, The saddle does need to move with the horse especially when jumping, and having a NS pad under it means that when you land after a jump when the saddle needs to go forward a touch, with a pad it takes the hair with it, a bit like giving the horse a chinese burn on it's back!! There are other ways of stopping a saddle slipping on a round horse/pony, you can use point and balance straps which will normally stop it, and usingn a girth with no elastic on the ends will help stop the lateral movement.:smile:

newrider.com