Any tall riders still riding ponies ??

Sep 29, 2019
Hi,
Just wanted to see who else is ridiculously tall and rides medium ponies and any photos because I can’t be the only one :)
I’m 5ft 9/10 and only ride ponies no horse :)
Anyway here are some photos ❤
Bailey 14.2hh
Charm 14hh
346BE188-21F0-43A7-8417-A9DE6993D6E5.jpegE36F80A3-C15B-47C0-9F22-F11BAF652112.jpeg
And finally Allegra 13.2hh
8D1C43B6-7F99-49DC-A580-0118350EB2B4.jpeg
And I swear I don’t even look too big on them and I’m all legs ???
Does anyone else feel this way because I keep on seeing threads asking if a 5ft 6 person is able to ride a 13.2hh pony and won’t be too tall and all the comments always say you will look a bit silly but you will be ok.

Reactions: GaryB
If they are wide ponies they can take up your leg easily. Its when theres nothing there the legs dangling looks out of proportion.

As long as they've got enough depth of girth to take up your leg it isn't a problem and since your height is in your leg you don't look like you tower over the top of them.

By any chance do you ride near Hungerford? Your Charm looks very like a 14hh grey mare called Charm that used to belong to a friend of mine some years ago.

As long as they've got enough depth of girth to take up your leg it isn't a problem and since your height is in your leg you don't look like you tower over the top of them.

By any chance do you ride near Hungerford? Your Charm looks very like a 14hh grey mare called Charm that used to belong to a friend of mine some years ago.
Yes I ride at a riding school in Hungerford :)

• Love
Reactions: carthorse
Great to hear of another RS rider having a long relationship with a pony.
I did the same. However you asked about height. In my experience it is weight of rider that matters.

And what one is doing on the pony. I saw mine in old age taking an adult male out on a first lead rein walk and trot. But she and I used to go fast. I was told it was better for her if I kept my weight under 9 stone 7. That is roughy 60 kilos.

I can do this. For me it is healthy BMI. What my GP wants me to be. But no teenager should starve themselves in order to go on riding a particular pony.

As a rider grows bigger, the pony gets older - so the alteration works in the wrong direction. You are best to ask the owners of the pony -

Many adults ride ponies and many ponies can carry full weight adults. But that doesnt mean all adults nor all ponies.

Great to hear of another RS rider having a long relationship with a pony.
I did the same. However you asked about height. In my experience it is weight of rider that matters.

And what one is doing on the pony. I saw mine in old age taking an adult male out on a first lead rein walk and trot. But she and I used to go fast. I was told it was better for her if I kept my weight under 9 stone 7. That is roughy 60 kilos.

I can do this. For me it is healthy BMI. What my GP wants me to be. But no teenager should starve themselves in order to go on riding a particular pony.

As a rider grows bigger, the pony gets older - so the alteration works in the wrong direction. You are best to ask the owners of the pony -

Many adults ride ponies and many ponies can carry full weight adults. But that doesnt mean all adults nor all ponies.
Yes I know I’m a healthy weight for them being 58kg and they can definitely carry me :) I do charm so much as she has bought me from 20cm jumps in no control to 90cm but unfortunately I am ore different ones now because she is 28 and getting quite old but she still has the spirit of a nine year old but the riding school are reducing her work load :) and as the doctor says I have stopped growing I think I’m only ever going to ride ponies because I prefer their cheekiness to riding big horses?

Reactions: carthorse
I like the cob at the top. I am mainly leg as well.
It's what you feel happy with riding and the point is happy carrying. I moved into a bigger seat saddle wise but my lass is only 14hh.

I like the cob at the top. I am mainly leg as well.
It's what you feel happy with riding and the point is happy carrying. I moved into a bigger seat saddle wise but my lass is only 14hh.
Yes I too love the cob at the top and I don’t think I will ever outgrow him :) I don’t know which seat size saddle I ride in as they are all different from the riding school? but they all work fine so yeah

You look fab! I have a 14.2hh palomino mare and she’s perfect! I’m about 5”3/4. I also full lease a stocky 14.3hh paint mare. I feel great on both! My mum has lots of cobs and ponies at her stable too. I’ve ridden a 12hh welsh pony and he felt awesome! Really just whatever you look good on.

I'm 5'2, my old boy was 13'3hh, and my present one is a chunky 13hh - felt fine on both.

I am 5 ft 2 and rode a pony for a year who I would say was about 13.3hh. He was stocky and could carry me but I felt enormous on him. My new horse is 15hh and I feel this is a much better size for me. I have always liked big horses so perhaps it is not surprising that a pony felt odd to me.

The longer your legs, the shorter your torso, the less you have upfront then if your pony takes up leg and you're not overloading the pony weight wise I'd say taller people and shorter horses/ponies are fine. I ride a couple of sturdy 14/14.2 hand and am 5'10". Hacking or flatting I'm fine. Too top heavy and long torso to comfortably jump.

newrider.com