Anyone bred from their own mare before?

chestnut-mare

Mar 29, 2005
Edinburgh
Wasn't too sure where to post this question but as I only really lurk around mature riders and western I thought I'd pop it here ;). I'm seriously thinking of breeding from my rising 5 QH. I only want one foal and without going into a long story, I have my reasons for desperately wanting this one foal. I've never had any experience of breeding before (unless you count the human kind of which I have experienced the one :D) and wanted anyone's advice on costs and their experiences be it good or bad. Also has anyone done it using AI? Pics included of potential stallion and mare ;)
IMG_0023-1.gif

Attachments

• scottie1.jpg
    scottie1.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 22
we have broodmares but my very own mare had foal last year, it was strange experience really as although we have bred other mares before some for reaason it was so much more stressful with my mare:D every thing was straightforward etc i just worried even more:rolleyes: we have mare due to foal in 5 weeks and she was AI including stud fee and vets package and livery it cost just over £1500

Thanks. By livery, do I take it you took your mare to the stud yard? I was hoping to let her foal at home and thought the vet would do the biz with the AI? Does that make sense?

that particualr mare will be going back to stud to foal due to small problem they found when they scanned her before AI, my other mares foal at home, our local vetinary hospital do AI the mares have to stay for few days for them to check season etc then can go home dont think you will find many vets that will carry out proceedure at home so to speak coz of the equipment they need ie scanners etc but i am sure they are more experieced breeders on here who will be able to explain better

The stallion I have in mind is about an hour from me so it is an option to take her to him. As you've got quite a bit of experience with brood mares which method do you prefer? & is either considerably more expensive than the other?

My coming 2yo filly is homebred from the older of my two dressage mares.

She went to the stud for the AI as they have an excellent conception rate, but I foaled her at home. She was AI for two reasons - the stallion I used is not available natural cover as he is competing internationally, and also the mare was coming back into ridden work and I didn't want her back and quarters mauling.

In terms of the AI, ask what your vets conception rate is before you go with them. The stud I used had 100% rate for four out of the last five years, so it was worth the money to keep her at the stud for 6 weeks. I used the vet package which worked out around £330 for up to 3 cycles of AI and included all scanning, drugs and procedures. That is pretty good value as scans at the nearest repro vet were around £30 a pop and she had at least 8 scans. She also had drugs to short cycle her as she managed to ovulate before she got to the stud (due to my horsebox dieing on me, so got there a day late). Stud fee was £600, stud keep £180 (that was full livery bar hard feed which I sent with her)

Other costs are breeding soundness exams and swabs before going to stud, 100 day scan, EHV vaccs x 3, transport to and from stud. Vet attendance for well baby/Mum exam and passport ID/DNA sampling for foalie. Stud book membership (does depend on studbook), foal registration/passport. Ig G blood levels, tetanus immunoglobulin for foalie.

Belle cost me around £1500 just to get on the ground.

Last time I totted it up she had cost me well over £3500 to just over 18 months of age. For me that is cost effective as the stallion's foals are going for at least £4 - 5K at weaning and from mares with a competition record like mine (she's competed to Inter I) you can more than double that for the right foal.

From my perspective I will only breed from mares who are proven competitively but I'm not breeding on a big commercial scale.

You also have to ask yourself if you can buy what you want for the same or less and know exactly what you are getting. I was lucky and got a premium foal but equally could have got a very average animal.

Also need to consider whether you are willing to risk losing the mare, complications and mare/foal death are not uncommon. Meh from here has just lost her foal for this year to a late abortion. Fortunately the mare is OK but they did have a sticky time with a retained placenta.

I personally would prefere to use AI for safety of mare and stallion. There is obviously a risk of losing mare and foal which is top of priorities to consider. But it is a massive achievement and satisfaction to have both mare and foal safely here and wow what a proud feeling!!!!!!!!!!

I would think at 5 years old your mare wouldnt have a major problem with fertility but no one could say until you try. Usually older mares are more difficult to get in foal.

We are very lucky as we have a local stud with an AI technician, just down the road and I take my mares for scanning and AI without having to ever leave them anywhere else. I certainly wouldnt be happy sending my mare to stud and leaving her, so in that case I would only use AI and if I use a natural service, we scan to find the correct day, I travel the mare cover her then bring it home. In general this has I find been 100% successful, only time I would count that out would be when the mare has had a problem, this being with two maiden mares, which both have been started one of which foaled last year the other being due this year!!!!

I must admit I have had two occasions where the stallion owners have brought the stallions to me, in that case I have met them with my mare at the stud so my stud owners would supervise, and one other occasion the stud owner came to our yard to supervise a covering. This is only as I completely trust the stud owner and his expertise and this I believe is where you need to be, whether it be a vet or a stud owner/AI Technician you need to trust and find out their success rate.

I foal my mares at home, although they are taken to stud for AI due to safety for the handlers etc, as they are set up with stocks to put the mares in thus cuts the risks of kicks etc to the technicians and vets who scan, but I also know the stud is at hand if I had a problem with a foaling and would come night or day. You need to know someone is there at the end of a phone if you have a problem.

You need to gain as much knowledge as possible before your foaling and the most important thing, if at all possible, is to be there to limit a problem happening and supervise so you are able to call for assistance if needed. Get to know all the signs for the foaling night and just keep checking your mare at very regular intervals days and night!!!!!!

Good luck and I hope you find the right stallion and have a successful pregnancy!!!!!!!

Thank you all for your thorough experiences and advice. My initial intention was to travel my mare to the stallion for a 'natural' covering then home again, tlc for 11 months, then camping out nearer the time at the field :eek:. Starting to rethink the whole process now as AI seems to be the most popular and less risky. I was planning on letting her foal in the field as the stables here are way too small (would that be fair?). Also, do you think 5 for covering is too young? I know of horses in foal at the young age of 3 but that doesnt necessarily make it right! What is the ideal age for a first mum??
I've just qualified as a children's nurse, I'm now wishing I'd done the midwife's course instead :rolleyes:

I would think 5 is a very viable age for covering, I would be happy to cover earlier so she should be quite mature and ready to carry a foal.

I personally always foal indoors, just for the fact if anything goes wrong they are to hand and there is electric or lights etc and you dont have to move them anywhere if needing assistance, but I know there are many different opinions on foaling so take everyones advise and foal down to suit you.

Bear in mind heights of fences - just in case baby gets born through a fence and ends up the other side. It can happen. Lighting isnt a good thing either for checking mum. But space will be there obviously.

Ours foal down in a stable 15 x 14 we are lucky to have some big stables, but my big mare I am hoping to foal down in a small crew of 16 x 24 as she is 16.3 and it will give her a little more space, although I would be happy to foal in the above stable if need be!!!!!

I used to help out at a stud and all the foals (bar 1) were born outside while I was there. All the mares were covered by the stallion.
Have you had a chat with the potential stallions owner? See what they say. There is a Quarter horses place here (North Aberdeenshire) do you know of it?

Last edited:
Hi, I know there are breeders in Aberdeenshire but don't know who/where exactly or their stallions. My old mare originally came from a QH stallion in Aberdeenshire (Mr Harmon Zero) and I'm looking for a relative of his to be sire to my mare. I've not yet been across to the stallion in Airdrie - still toying with the idea and need to pluck up the courage to go! If you have any details of the stud near you, I'd love to hear about it ;)

newrider.com