Anyone done Progressive Riding Tests?

sophie33

Aug 8, 2004
London
My RI is encouraging me to do the PRTs in a group with two of her other adult students. She says we would fit together nicely as we have all done quite a bit already, so should progress through the lower levels reasonably quickly.
I am very tempted, as I'd like to be in a group with others of a similar level, and it would allow me to measure progress (I think if you do them all they = BHS Stage 1 - is that right?). Also my stable management has all kind of weird gaps in it because I've never had any formal instruction.
But weighed against that the hour and a half weekly lesson would be £40 a pop. I'm not complaining but I'm not sure I can stretch to that.
So has anyone else done it and did you find it worthwhile. Just to help me decide whether to try and find the cash.
Thanks

I do them with my pupils but don't charge any more than their normal group lesson. Half price lessons for the care parts about once every 4 weeks.

They are a good way to make sure you are progressing correctly although I still recommend sitting Stage 1 before proceding to Stage 2 just for exam practice.

I don't suppose you ride at Aldersbrook by any chance?
My RI is suggesting exactly the same thing to me, although I am a bit worried about group sessions- I am still quite new to riding and i really worry that in a group i will be holding the other riders back.
As for PRT it looks like a good idea- i am keen on learning the stable management side of things, £40 for a group session does seem expensive tho' :eek:

Thanks EML. It is expensive, but then my normal hour private costs £35. However, I don't do it every week, cos I can't afford it, whereas I would have to do this every week or it will make the group unworkable.
Ema - yes I am at Aldersbrook! Small world... Don't worry about holding the other riders back. I always worry about that but in fact it doesn't work that way. In a small group the RI (who do you have by the way?) can easily get us to do different things if needs be.
And it is nice to get to watch other people ride - I find I learn quite a lot from seeing what they are doing wrong and right. Also it is a bit easier because the attention isn't on you the whole time! The main reason I generally have private lessons is because I think I get more teaching for my money, but group lessons can also be really good.

I have been riding since July- usually have always had Rikki, up until recently and now I have Mark. Usually I ride star, chester or Kasir as I'm not the lightest person in the world :eek: Who usually teaches you?
Thanks for your advise about the group lessons- I have had a couple and they have been good in the sense that u get to see others ride and that can be very helpful, although I do feel embarrassed when I am struggling with something that others seem to get so easily!
Having said that the price is not that different for private and group and I always think for an extra £5, I may as well go for a one to one session.

Hi Ema,
Yes my logic is the same on private vs group. I sometimes ride Star, or Bianca or Johnny Boy. Don't be embarrassed - we've all been there. I've been riding on and off for five years and still constantly feel like I'm worse than anyone else! But then I think it doesn't matter - I do this cos I enjoy it - I don't need to be a superstar!
Anyhow, hope you keep enjoying lessons. Maybe i'll see you down there sometime.
Hannah

PS I usually have Julie, although I also enjoy lessons with Rikki. Not tried Mark yet, but have heard good things

newrider.com