anyone else have free range horses?

Fizz

Aug 28, 2004
i am lucky enough to have a whole yard to myself and because jay doesnt like to be stabled we have decided to take the doors down, section part of the field off, open the gates and let them decided if they want to stand in the yard/feild/indoor yard or their stables:D

this is day three and its going really well, they have been in their stables and had a sleep by the state of the beds, made use of the yard and field and both seem really happy:D

anyone else do this system ?

Last edited:
I do that with both of mine, they have a stable to go into and free roam of the field and paddock, they seem to like it

exactly, they decided what they want to do, never seen jay stable himself willingly before, but hes been in and out all day, munched his haynets, had a few pees and wandered about:D.

a much more relaxed jay:D

Didnt have the 'free' set up (only field/ bring in to stable) until last year. Love it and so does my horse. Think its the best and will never go back!

One of my geldings is on free range this evening, due to bullying I have sep him from my other gelding. I have left the big gates open to his stable and he can go in and out, our ones on the end dont have fronts anyway.

he likes it going in and out.

My friend tried that and her geldign did really well - always going into his stable overnight, etc .. the mare decided she would share the gelding's stable and cornered him ... Several vet bills later she went back to the human-managed routine!! These horses are always lovely together, but the mare got really weird about hogging the gelding's stable door and not letting him out!

i was on a yard outside of Johannesburg last week and they used a free range system.
i could not believe it they opened the field gate whistled and 10-15 horses came cantering into yard and went to their own stables it was an incredible sight to see..:D:D

Thats so cool! :D

I would def do that if I had my own yard and fields!

i am lucky enough to have a whole yard to myself and because jay doesnt like to be stabled we have decided to take the doors down, section part of the field off, open the gates and let them decided if they want to stand in the yard/feild/indoor yard or their stables:D

this is day three and its going really well, they have been in their stables and had a sleep by the state of the beds, made use of the yard and field and both seem really happy:D

anyone else do this system ?

Are you back at Wester Kinleith? I've just got grass livery at Mid K. My new horse arrives Saturday! Hope they can get the horsebox up the lane.

Soozy
x

oooh, lucky you! Its always nice when you have that sort of opportunity! Can I share? lol.
I currently have 4 acres with 3 open stables, but its proving difficult becuase of the local youths in the area! Im always having problems with people going in and out of the field, chasing/injurying the horses, turning off electric fences, cutting holes in hedges etc etc! onstantly got the police coming out! Its Great to have all that space to myself, but I end up sharing it with stupid youths who are such menaces! I might have to move the horses to a local yard where id have to cut down on space and share etc..sob, sob - And itll cost an absalute fortune too!

When I was in Cornwall, I was lucky enough to have use of a 23 acre field for a short while! There were no stables, but plenty of natural shelter (lots of trees)...twas fun trying to find the horses, but at least I didnt have to muck out after them!

Are you back at Wester Kinleith? I've just got grass livery at Mid K. My new horse arrives Saturday! Hope they can get the horsebox up the lane.

Soozy
x

back at the piggery:D

ohhhhhhhhhhhhh what did you get, i want pics etc asap and we must meet up for a hack:D:D:D

back at the piggery:D

ohhhhhhhhhhhhh what did you get, i want pics etc asap and we must meet up for a hack:D:D:D

Is that Lymphoy (sp?) I bought him from Richard Duncan in Lesmahagow. His name is Seamus, he's 15.1, 7 years old, black, Irish cob. Wonderful nature, very friendly, but quite skinny and needs to put a bit of weight on. No saddle yet, might have to buy a 2nd hand and have it fitted, no point in buying an expensive one if his shape is going to change. Going to let him settle in for a while then walk him out in hand to see how he copes with his new surroundings. I hate the thought of him being out in the cold and wet when he is underweight, I'd much rather he had a nice warm stable at night! I'm sure he will be fine though. He had a 5 stage vetting and vet said he was a lovely little horse LOL. Quite a high knee action and moves really well. I'm so excited, I've only waited 40 years for this to happen:eek:

Soozy
x

Last edited:
ohhhh bless, will have to pop by sometime soon to meet him.

lots of warm rugs and feed and he will be fine:D

Sometimes do it, if the horses are in the field next to the yard and can come up to the yard without being a pain in the backside. They really like being able to come and go as they want and like having a nosey around the yard and its surprising sometimes how much time they choose to spend indoors considering how unnatural some people claim stabling is :)

with 40mph winds and rain right now i hope they do decided to spend the night in bed:rolleyes:

I love this idea - it's exactly how my friend keeps hers and I think it's ideal. Unfortunately, due to how my house is arranged with the yard and land, I couldn't do it, but certainly would if it was possible.

newrider.com