Anyone got a chocolate dun?

I'd say your boy is too light? Have to wait for his summer coat i guess. All the choco duns i've known have been almost as dark as liver chestnuts but browner, if that makes sense?!

How is he anyway? :D

I have a mare who is a peanut-butter dun - could we put them together and hope for Reece's Pieces Baby-Duns ?

Thought you said he was

He is a Buckskin New Forest

If he's NF then as far as I know he won't be dun (no dun in the breed) - you were right first time with buckskin.

Some pics would confirm that - he would have a proper dun eel stripe, for a start.

He sounds like a sooty buckskin but I'd like to see some piccies... :D

I'd say your boy is too light? Have to wait for his summer coat i guess. All the choco duns i've known have been almost as dark as liver chestnuts but browner, if that makes sense?!

How is he anyway? :D

On his passport he is registered as dark dun. Im not expert on colour but I think he is really dark, he is like a rich chocolate colour I wouldnt even say he was dun??? The only bit I think resembles dun is his muzzle. His legs are very very dark. How much will he lighten up with his summer coat?

I got told by someone on here he was a buckskin and not dun :confused:So I referred to him as one but I really havent a clue what colour he is???

Bump

Lets see your piccies :)

...and yours, I 'd love to see what he looks like!:)

What colour is this chap?
Fin7.jpg

Id love to hear more about your boy :)

Sadly he's not mine but my friend's (we've ridden together for over 30 years:)) He is a connemara and 4 years old and turning into a real star, very sensible but can jump an electric fence from a standstill. I know my friend would be inetested in a definition of his colour, we both think it is gorgeous.:)

Not dun. Dark bay or brown, I'd guess.

Chocolate dun is a bit like cream dun - both terms used when the colour isn't really obvious as anything else!

There is grullo/grulla, which is black + dun, bay dun, brown dun, and red dun (chestnut + dun).

Duns have a dilute body colour (often looks flat and faded) and a dorsal or eel stripe. The stripe is not black - it's a stripe of undiluted colour (so on red dun, the stripe would be chestnut). That occurs in all duns.

They also often have leg barring, darker face mask, lighter colour either side of the mane and tail (think Fjords), shoulder stripes and cobwebbing (thin stripes of colour on the face and forehead) and ventral stripes (similar to dorsal stripe but runs under the belly). They may have none, some or all of these but most will have at least one.

I'd assume that chocolate dun would refer to either black + dun or brown + dun, but I'm not certain.

ETA - if he's Connie, he's definitely not dun. There is no dun in Connies.

Not dun. Dark bay or brown, I'd guess.

Chocolate dun is a bit like cream dun - both terms used when the colour isn't really obvious as anything else!

There is grullo/grulla, which is black + dun, bay dun, brown dun, and red dun (chestnut + dun).

Duns have a dilute body colour (often looks flat and faded) and a dorsal or eel stripe. The stripe is not black - it's a stripe of undiluted colour (so on red dun, the stripe would be chestnut). That occurs in all duns.

They also often have leg barring, darker face mask, lighter colour either side of the mane and tail (think Fjords), shoulder stripes and cobwebbing (thin stripes of colour on the face and forehead) and ventral stripes (similar to dorsal stripe but runs under the belly). They may have none, some or all of these but most will have at least one.

I'd assume that chocolate dun would refer to either black + dun or brown + dun, but I'm not certain.

ETA - if he's Connie, he's definitely not dun. There is no dun in Connies.

Thanks that is very helpful!:)

I know a choc dun (icey X) he has a darker eel stripe down his back and light almost flaxen bits in his mane. I think all true dun have (or had when younger) and eel stripe, some more native breeds also have zebra making on legs!

apparently Tawny is a chocolate dun? She is dark chocolate brown in colour with a black dorsal stripe and light dun in her ears, not sure if you can see this in the photo. Will try and upload some better pictures if that helps as these ones aren't really much help:)

Attachments

• december 2008 014.jpg
    december 2008 014.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 26
  • december 2008 012.jpg
    december 2008 012.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 27
newrider.com