Anyone got any tips for Dressage test?

MistyGal

Jan 24, 2011
Norfolk
Doing the prelim 18 test on sunday aka "the lots of trotting and bit of canter test"
I am after any tips for getting higher scores than the others.. I am confident I know the test but want to not mess up and lose silly marks... so any ideas or inspiration would be gratefully recieved! :help: I need a rosette! :bounce:

At prelim level in any test the most important things to remember are rhythm and accuracy. If your horse goes in an outline, well all the better, but if not just ensure he/she is working softly forwards into a steady contact. Aim to make the test flow so plan all movements and transitions well in advance. Get right in your corners - you will 'create' more space in the arena and judges don't like chopped off corners. Aim for accuracy - if it asks for a 20m circle, make it 20m; not 18 or 22, 20. X is your half way point so if you pass over that and both sides are equal then you have a good circle.
Look where you are going, and keep the horse travelling forward in a rhythm - think 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2 in trot, not 1 2 1 2 12121 2 1 2.
Breathe, so you are more relaxed, this will encourage the horse to relax.
Sit light in your canter and keep a nice, even and steady contact.
Start on a good note - make for a nice entry straight down the centre line and a nice bend when you track right or left at C. This is the first thing the judge sees, so impress them! Look well up and ahead and ride a nice straight, forward centre line.
Good luck!! Remember to enjoy it!!

At prelim level in any test the most important things to remember are rhythm and accuracy. If your horse goes in an outline, well all the better, but if not just ensure he/she is working softly forwards into a steady contact. Aim to make the test flow so plan all movements and transitions well in advance. Get right in your corners - you will 'create' more space in the arena and judges don't like chopped off corners. Aim for accuracy - if it asks for a 20m circle, make it 20m; not 18 or 22, 20. X is your half way point so if you pass over that and both sides are equal then you have a good circle.
Look where you are going, and keep the horse travelling forward in a rhythm - think 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2 in trot, not 1 2 1 2 12121 2 1 2.
Breathe, so you are more relaxed, this will encourage the horse to relax.
Sit light in your canter and keep a nice, even and steady contact.
Start on a good note - make for a nice entry straight down the centre line and a nice bend when you track right or left at C. This is the first thing the judge sees, so impress them! Look well up and ahead and ride a nice straight, forward centre line.
Good luck!! Remember to enjoy it!!

Wicked advice thankyou!!!!! :biggrin::biggrin:

Use the corners of the school and ride accurate transitions :D

Make sure you centre line is straight as that is the first thing the judge sees

Finally don't nearly burst into tears when your gets right canter lead first time :D

Don't use your voice (or don't let the judges hear you!) I never knew this and I got 2 penalty points on my first test after my horse did a 180 spin and I growled at him! :giggle:

I had to laugh at the judges comments on my sheet "naughty pony today, well ridden!"

Ok dont burst into tears, and dont use voice - check!
what about a YES!!! when its over? or do i wait till i have left arena? lol

newrider.com